IGNORED

Sam Bell…

BCFC1512

8 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Is he really the answer!! Can’t cross to save his life and offers very little scoring threat!! 

It depends what the question is. If do we have a player that has out paced every full back he’s played against then the answer is yes. His blatant grounding yesterday was an utter disgrace right in front of the ref. 

If the question is can he be developed into a great player and his timing and crossing worked on the answer is still yes

If the question is, is he under 20 (I think he is still 19) the answer is yes

If the worry for Sam is getting his homework in on time I would say no, he always gets subbed off after 60 minutes!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 10

Depends on the question.

Who is Mickey Bell’s son? Definitely the answer to that.

He’s 20 & blows hot & cold, great finish against Boro recently (remember that?), a few excellent goals in the FA cup.

He wouldn’t be an automatic starter for me but has already proved his value.

Plus if we think that we got his Dad cheap, he was even cheaper…

• Like 6

Gone a bit early on this.

He's a young kid that is in his break through season, he's played 20+ games in or around his natural position and I'm not sure he was expected to be the answer to any question.

He has shown some great promise and shown he can finish when the chance arrives. 
Is he the finished article ? No, no where near . But someone that has his pace and can finish has a great chance.

• Like 4

Thought he was one of our best players on Saturday and one of our best players last night. The ball over the top to him between the centre half and the RB is always on, he's always giving us an outlet making those runs in the channel. Getting in those positions in the first place and splitting the defenders with those runs is the hardest thing. His finishing and end product will come. 

• Like 1

Just now, 97Red said:

Thought he was one of our best players on Saturday and one of our best players last night. The ball over the top to him between the centre half and the RB is always on, he's always giving us an outlet making those runs in the channel. Getting in those positions in the first place and splitting the defenders with those runs is the hardest thing. His finishing and end product will come. 

He is available nearly all the time and my biggest moan lately is that we haven't used him more often.

• Thanks 1

I’ll bite too!

Back around Xmas I said if I had to lay all my money on red (make it) or black (not make it) as to whether Bell would make it as a player here (at Champ level) I said “Black - No, he won’t”.  But trying to decide that for a 20 year old who’d barely played any first team football, still developing, etc, is a tough call, and I said with a wink I’d have a side bet on “red 20” (Bell’s shirt colour and number in case anyone missed the reason) too!

My view was based on as I said, limited first team minutes, but also u21 / u23 games I’d watched, little bits if highlights from his loan at Grimsby, his position…as well as comparing him Conway too.

As it stands he is generally a decent finisher.

He has good pace.

He doesn’t appear to have the edge of Conway, nor the maturity (physically and mentally) of game of his fellow 20 year old either.

But that run of games (and goals) just after the new year showed there is a player in there who is still developing his talent…and imho just needs to be given time to continue that, whilst us fans allow him to be inconsistent, as players are…at any age, not just 20.

I think he’s missing Pring at LB.  I think Mehmeti is also.

I don’t think anyone usually expects a 20 year old having his first real spell in the first team to be “the answer”, but I think Scott and Conway have raised the bar of impatience amongst fans for players like Bell.

Currently he’s having a little bit of an in and out period.

It’s a bit of a crap OP really. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Bell is a really good finisher, fast and will become our number 9.  Needs to bulk up and become more physical but that will come as he gets older.  Moved to left hand side for the fact that he is so quick & the hardest thing to mark as a defender is pace. Needs to improve his left foot as clearly favours the right but as a breakthrough season he can be well chuffed when he looks back at this season whilst on the beach.

I think the problem any of our academy lads face is that they will get judged against the standards that Alex Scott has set and that’s unfair. Some will just need more time to develop and in Bell’s case, he will.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Bell is a really good finisher, fast and will become our number 9.  Needs to bulk up and become more physical but that will come as he gets older.  Moved to left hand side for the fact that he is so quick & the hardest thing to mark as a defender is pace. Needs to improve his left foot as clearly favours the right but as a breakthrough season he can be well chuffed when he looks back at this season whilst on the beach.

I think the problem any of our academy lads face is that they will get judged against the standards that Alex Scott has set and that’s unfair. Some will just need more time to develop and in Bell’s case, he will.

We’re of a similar vintage & for years the only striker we produced was bloody Nigel Hawkins..

The fact that this season alone we have had Semenyo (who was with us at 16/17 whether he’s technically an Academy product or not), Conway, with 8 Championship goals already at 20 & Bell.

We’d have been happy with one of these in the past & like @Davefevs I’m in the camp that he’s shown more this season than I expected.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ll bite too!

Back around Xmas I said if I had to lay all my money on red (make it) or black (not make it) as to whether Bell would make it as a player here (at Champ level) I said “Black - No, he won’t”.  But trying to decide that for a 20 year old who’d barely played any first team football, still developing, etc, is a tough call, and I said with a wink I’d have a side bet on “red 20” (Bell’s shirt colour and number in case anyone missed the reason) too!

My view was based on as I said, limited first team minutes, but also u21 / u23 games I’d watched, little bits if highlights from his loan at Grimsby, his position…as well as comparing him Conway too.

As it stands he is generally a decent finisher.

He has good pace.

He doesn’t appear to have the edge of Conway, nor the maturity (physically and mentally) of game of his fellow 20 year old either.

But that run of games (and goals) just after the new year showed there is a player in there who is still developing his talent…and imho just needs to be given time to continue that, whilst us fans allow him to be inconsistent, as players are…at any age, not just 20.

I think he’s missing Pring at LB.  I think Mehmeti is also.

I don’t think anyone usually expects a 20 year old having his first real spell in the first team to be “the answer”, but I think Scott and Conway have raised the bar of impatience amongst fans for players like Bell.

Currently he’s having a little bit of an in and out period.

It’s a bit of a crap OP really. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

I mean the question is really 'is someone really judging a player who predominantly plays as a centre forward for playing out of position after a handful of games there' and the answer is 'of bloody course its OTIB'

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

He is doing well. Like @Davefevs said if i had to make a punt i would go with not make it. He reminds me of Wes Burns, stood out due to raw pace but technically not brilliant. Hope he proves me wrong.

Reminds me of Wes in a lot of ways too.

I saw Wes play CF for Wales u21s v Eng u21s, and he was brilliant.  Gave a couple of high profile Eng CBs a really tough night…John Stones / Nathaniel Chalobah!!!  Wes was a bit more aggressive in fairness.

As @Shuffle’s said, he is a good finisher, pretty composed too.

I love it when Bell and Conway play, adds a bit of excitement.

He was slaughtered when he came on as sub and then subbed off that time, for having a stinker not injury. He has shown great character and desire to pick himself up from that. 

I want more Bell (and Conway) next season and for the record I think Wells brings out the best in them

• Like 1

Bell- can't cross, rarely scores send him on loan

Cornick- a WTF? signing

Max O'Leary- not good enough, need a new keeper now

Weiman - best is behind him, runs and points a lot, time to move on.

Wilson- didnt make it, big ego so gone in summer

Williams- sick note

Naismith- mistake prone, injury prone

Scott- head's gone

Mehmetti- hasn't caught on fire, flash in the pan

Vyner- should never put on a shirt.... yes he should.... not sure...hang on....

Kalas- expensive for what he is.

So that's 11 new players needed unless there's anyone I've missed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

You can see what NP is doing giving young players as much championship expirience as he can.Looking a bit to the future.Sam will develope into a decent player at this level. Same goes for Conway who is probably ahead of sam at this moment. Problem is once they become good we sell them on. We ain't never going up!

Edited by johnbytheriver
omitted a letter
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

You can see what NP is doing giving young players as much championship expirience as he can.Looking a bit to the future.Sam will develope into a decent player at this level. Same goes for Conway who is probably ahead of sam at this moment. Problem is once they become good we sell them on. We ain't never going up!

Sad as it is we will have little choice.

We are still losing money, even if we get the much touted £25m for Scott we can’t spend all of it as it is required for running costs.

You also have to remember that when an EPL club comes in for a Championship player it is almost inevitable they will go. The selling club may not want them to go but if the fee is right they will concede defeat.

For the player, the opportunity to play at a higher level and of course the rewards will make it an easy decision.

Look at it this way, Scott is 19, assuming he gets his move, this time next year he will be a millionaire with much more to come.

That is the reality.

Edited by ScottishRed
Spelling
  • Like 2