IGNORED

Rotherham United at home match thread

Good day fellow- Reds, hope this finds you well.

Our penultimate home game. On Tuesday they drew 2-2 with Burnley, with goals late in both halves, that point - which also denied Burnley a chance of breaking the Championship record for points won in a season - kept the Millers in 18th place four points clear of the relegation places.

We played them away immediately after the World Cup break and it finished with us winning away against them for the first time in 27 years, with a 3-1 scoreline and Cam Pring getting his first City goal. Highlights:

As NP said post-match it was scrappy….https://youtu.be/NaxnGcz5TEA

Matt Taylor had this to say: https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2022/december/post-match--the-second-half-needed-to-look-more-like-the-first---taylor/

Over the years our record against them is lost 24, won 21 and drawn 10.

Their media release pre-match: https://www.themillers.co.uk/siteassets/pdf/bristol-city-press-highlights.pdf

Our game guide: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/match-preview-rotherham-united-h/

In January they signed West Ham United midfielder Conor Coventry on loan until the end of the season. The 22-year-old played seven times for the Hammers this season, including making his Premier League debut against Manchester City in August. On deadline day Sunderland loaned ex-BCFC defender Bailey Wright to Rotherham United for the season.

They are facing a goalkeeping crisis with the club exploring an opportunity for an emergency loan, according to club journalist Paul Davis. No1 Johansson has missed the last three games with a shoulder injury while back-up stopper Josh Vickers was injured in their last outing. Third choice Robbie Hemfrey, who has played just 45 minutes of senior football, could start in his place.

In charge is Josh Smith, assisted by Jonathan Hunt and Akil Howson, the fourth official is Lee Swabey.

History

To say that the club’s origins are convoluted is a gross understatement. The current Rotherham United FC came into being in 1925 but the brown ball had been kicked around in town long before by a glut of clubs carrying Rotherham in their name.

There’s an early mention of a Rotherham Football Club in 1870 playing at a field opposite Eastwood House, Doncaster Road. Rotherham Wanderers were around in 1872, playing on Jarvis’ s Field in Clifton Lane. The name of Thornhill Football Club, eventually becoming forerunners of Rotherham United, pops up in 1877 and one year later Lunar Rovers were founded. The name was derived from the many matches that were played by moonlight but one year later they changed their name to plain Rotherham, with Town added a few seasons later. In the meantime Rotherham Wanderers had disappeared from the town’s football scene to make place for Rotherham Swifts who folded in 1891.

Thornhill (later adding United to their name) played at the Red House Ground, devoid of either natural or artistic beauty. It was located off Henley Grove Road and Park Street. Thornhill United played second fiddle to Rotherham Town who entertained their crowds at Clifton Lane Cricket Ground before moving to Clifton Grove. The perennial problem of poor attendances led to the downfall of Rotherham Town in 1896, now giving Thornhill United the status of the top team in town. However, the saga continues. In 1899, two minor clubs in town, Rotherham Casuals and Rotherham Grammar School combined to become Rotherham Club. They changed their name to Rotherham Town in 1905.

At Thornhill they were not amused. Not to be outdone and seeing themselves to be the senior club of the two, and certainly the elder, the Thornhill Club, still playing at The Red House, became Rotherham County….. In 1907 Rotherham County moved to a patch of land described as a grass plot of not much practical utility. It was to become Millmoor Ground as we know it today. Meanwhile, Rotherham Town struggled on at their own Clifton Road Ground. By 1922 the club seriously faced extinction. At last, the two clubs amalgamated in 1925 to become  Rotherham United and a single club of senior standing was formed in the town. To prevent yet another town club being created the lease of the Clifton Road Ground was taken up and caused the demise of Rotherham Amateurs, which is another long and fairy-tale story….

So at last, Rotherham Town and Rotherham County had overcome their continuing and fierce rivalry, their bitter battles and their poor financial status. Luckily enough their sartorial saga is not as complicated. The first colours of Town were chocolate and sky halves, then blue shirts with white sleeves. County were clad in black and white stripes and later changed to white shirts and black shorts, adding a red belt.

Their first strip after the amalgamation in 1925 was amber shirts with a black V and black shorts. The red shirts did not come into being until the 1928/29 season and inspired the early, albeit unimaginative nickname, of the Reds. Rotherham United have since been faithful to red and white and their fans seem to favour the Arsenal-style red shirt with white sleeves, a combination worn whenever Rotherham United have been doing well.

The club’s first official badge from the ‘Merry Millers’ from Millmoor was the former Rotherham County Borough coat of arms, granted in 1947. The shield has a green background. The bridge across the centre is emblematic of the first Southwark Bridge in London, cast in Rotherham at the Walkers’ foundry, and of the war winning Bailey Bridge, designed by Rotherham born Donald Bailey. Above the bridge are two white Yorkshire roses and a bishop’s mitre, symbolic of Thomas Rotherham, Archbishop of York (1423-1500) and Lord Chancellor of England, who founded the College of Jesus in Rotherham and built parts of the Church of All Saints.

The two bucks supporting the shield are also taken from the arms of Archbishop Rotherham. They wear golden collars from which hand shields charged with a bee, a symbol of industry. The black shields on which to lie are allusive to coal mining, and the black chains to iron and brass founding. Above the helmet is a hand holding a caduceus of Mercury, the god of commerce and emblematic of Rotherham’s trade. The motto, ‘sic virescit industria’ translates as ‘thus trade flourishes’.

The present crest is a reference to Millmoor. The letters RUFC are depicted in white in mill wings set in a red shield with a football.

Their nickname of the Millers comes from Rotherham’s strong industrial history of flour milling. Millmoor, Rotherham’s home for decades, was so named because it was built in the hub of the flour milling industry in Rotherham. Thus when Rotherham moved to Millmoor, they became the Millers.

Well known fans

Dean Andrews - Actor

Paul Chuckle - Chuckle brother

Howard Webb - Former referee

00953505-E9B8-45B2-BAAE-23225163B86F.jpeg

B63E5278-821C-4AC9-9BED-5D773E8D435F.jpeg

7DC9D1A3-FE09-4A58-92B3-975E8A78EFFB.jpeg

78F86926-DE5A-4353-970C-82C241F4B47B.jpeg

A0880559-02DE-47A1-BC87-B747C0B8956B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

I’m interested to see how Nige lines up for this. He isn’t blessed with options, especially after singling out the subs in midweek. 

If it was up to me, I’d start with:

—————--O’Leary————

Tanner—Vyner—Pring—Dasilva

Sykes—Scott—James—Mehmeti

————Conway—Wells———

Harsh on King and possibly Bell, but we can’t expect King to start three games in a week, can we? 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, tin said:

I’m interested to see how Nige lines up for this. He isn’t blessed with options, especially after singling out the subs in midweek. 

If it was up to me, I’d start with:

—————--O’Leary————

Tanner—Vyner—Pring—Dasilva

Sykes—Scott—James—Mehmeti

————Conway—Wells———

Harsh on King and possibly Bell, but we can’t expect King to start three games in a week, can we? 

Like this...

A boot up the arse - then send them out to prove you wrong.

Reuniting the Wells\Conway relationship ?

Only thing I'd change - Naismith (if 100% fit) in place of Mehmeti - makes us a bit more solid.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Like this...

A boot up the arse - then send them out to prove you wrong.

Reuniting the Wells\Conway relationship ?

Only thing I'd change - Naismith (if 100% fit) in place of Mehmeti - makes us a bit more solid.

I think Naismith could do a decent job at LB, but I wouldn’t want him on the wing in a 442 let alone when he’s lacking fitness. 

7 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Good day fellow- Reds, hope this finds you well.

Our penultimate home game. On Tuesday they drew 2-2 with Burnley, with goals late in both halves, that point - which also denied Burnley a chance of breaking the Championship record for points won in a season - kept the Millers in 18th place four points clear of the relegation places.

We played them away immediately after the World Cup break and it finished with us winning away against them for the first time in 27 years, with a 3-1 scoreline and Cam Pring getting his first City goal. Highlights:

As NP said post-match it was scrappy….https://youtu.be/NaxnGcz5TEA

Matt Taylor had this to say: https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2022/december/post-match--the-second-half-needed-to-look-more-like-the-first---taylor/

Over the years our record against them is lost 24, won 21 and drawn 10.

Their media release pre-match: https://www.themillers.co.uk/siteassets/pdf/bristol-city-press-highlights.pdf

Our game guTheiride: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/match-preview-rotherham-united-h/

In January they signed West Ham United midfielder Conor Coventry on loan until the end of the season. The 22-year-old played seven times for the Hammers this season, including making his Premier League debut against Manchester City in August. On deadline day Sunderland loaned ex-BCFC defender Bailey Wright to Rotherham United for the season.

They are facing a goalkeeping crisis with the club exploring an opportunity for an emergency loan, according to club journalist Paul Davis. No1 Johansson has missed the last three games with a shoulder injury while back-up stopper Josh Vickers was injured in their last outing. Third choice Robbie Hemfrey, who has played just 45 minutes of senior football, could start in his place.

In charge is Josh Smith, assisted by Jonathan Hunt and Akil Howson, the fourth official is Lee Swabey.

History

To say that the club’s origins are convoluted is a gross understatement. The current Rotherham United FC came into being in 1925 but the brown ball had been kicked around in town long before by a glut of clubs carrying Rotherham in their name.

There’s an early mention of a Rotherham Football Club in 1870 playing at a field opposite Eastwood House, Doncaster Road. Rotherham Wanderers were around in 1872, playing on Jarvis’ s Field in Clifton Lane. The name of Thornhill Football Club, eventually becoming forerunners of Rotherham United, pops up in 1877 and one year later Lunar Rovers were founded. The name was derived from the many matches that were played by moonlight but one year later they changed their name to plain Rotherham, with Town added a few seasons later. In the meantime Rotherham Wanderers had disappeared from the town’s football scene to make place for Rotherham Swifts who folded in 1891.

Thornhill (later adding United to their name) played at the Red House Ground, devoid of either natural or artistic beauty. It was located off Henley Grove Road and Park Street. Thornhill United played second fiddle to Rotherham Town who entertained their crowds at Clifton Lane Cricket Ground before moving to Clifton Grove. The perennial problem of poor attendances led to the downfall of Rotherham Town in 1896, now giving Thornhill United the status of the top team in town. However, the saga continues. In 1899, two minor clubs in town, Rotherham Casuals and Rotherham Grammar School combined to become Rotherham Club. They changed their name to Rotherham Town in 1905.

At Thornhill they were not amused. Not to be outdone and seeing themselves to be the senior club of the two, and certainly the elder, the Thornhill Club, still playing at The Red House, became Rotherham County….. In 1907 Rotherham County moved to a patch of land described as a grass plot of not much practical utility. It was to become Millmoor Ground as we know it today. Meanwhile, Rotherham Town struggled on at their own Clifton Road Ground. By 1922 the club seriously faced extinction. At last, the two clubs amalgamated in 1925 to become  Rotherham United and a single club of senior standing was formed in the town. To prevent yet another town club being created the lease of the Clifton Road Ground was taken up and caused the demise of Rotherham Amateurs, which is another long and fairy-tale story….

So at last, Rotherham Town and Rotherham County had overcome their continuing and fierce rivalry, their bitter battles and their poor financial status. Luckily enough their sartorial saga is not as complicated. The first colours of Town were chocolate and sky halves, then blue shirts with white sleeves. County were clad in black and white stripes and later changed to white shirts and black shorts, adding a red belt.

Their first strip after the amalgamation in 1925 was amber shirts with a black V and black shorts. The red shirts did not come into being until the 1928/29 season and inspired the early, albeit unimaginative nickname, of the Reds. Rotherham United have since been faithful to red and white and their fans seem to favour the Arsenal-style red shirt with white sleeves, a combination worn whenever Rotherham United have been doing well.

The club’s first official badge from the ‘Merry Millers’ from Millmoor was the former Rotherham County Borough coat of arms, granted in 1947. The shield has a green background. The bridge across the centre is emblematic of the first Southwark Bridge in London, cast in Rotherham at the Walkers’ foundry, and of the war winning Bailey Bridge, designed by Rotherham born Donald Bailey. Above the bridge are two white Yorkshire roses and a bishop’s mitre, symbolic of Thomas Rotherham, Archbishop of York (1423-1500) and Lord Chancellor of England, who founded the College of Jesus in Rotherham and built parts of the Church of All Saints.

The two bucks supporting the shield are also taken from the arms of Archbishop Rotherham. They wear golden collars from which hand shields charged with a bee, a symbol of industry. The black shields on which to lie are allusive to coal mining, and the black chains to iron and brass founding. Above the helmet is a hand holding a caduceus of Mercury, the god of commerce and emblematic of Rotherham’s trade. The motto, ‘sic virescit industria’ translates as ‘thus trade flourishes’.

The present crest is a reference to Millmoor. The letters RUFC are depicted in white in mill wings set in a red shield with a football.

Their nickname of the Millers comes from Rotherham’s strong industrial history of flour milling. Millmoor, Rotherham’s home for decades, was so named because it was built in the hub of the flour milling industry in Rotherham. Thus when Rotherham moved to Millmoor, they became the Millers.

Well known fans

Dean Andrews - Actor

Paul Chuckle - Chuckle brother

Howard Webb - Former referee

00953505-E9B8-45B2-BAAE-23225163B86F.jpeg

B63E5278-821C-4AC9-9BED-5D773E8D435F.jpeg

7DC9D1A3-FE09-4A58-92B3-975E8A78EFFB.jpeg

78F86926-DE5A-4353-970C-82C241F4B47B.jpeg

A0880559-02DE-47A1-BC87-B747C0B8956B.jpeg

Surprised they've won this fixture more times than we have.

• Like 1

Reference the old programme for an FA Cup circa 1953;or 54.

Both clubs then had to change shirts if normal colour clashed. As both clubs wore white shirts as second shirts, they tossed a coin. Rotherham won and wore white shirts.

City borrowed a set from Rovers so wore blue and white quarters. City from Third South lost to Second Division Rotherham.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Anyone got any fireworks I'm staying in the same hotel as our opponents tomorrow.

Where’s that then , think teams stay in centre of Bristol now ( I could be wrong ) but I do know a lot of teams use to stay at the Aztec hotel , Aztec west . Cricket teams stay there aswell 

30 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Remember 3-1 win, we were then promoted, GJ was in charge then. Think we will score today and win 2-0.  COYR 

The travelling Rotherham fans showed really good grace that afternoon (May 5th 2007).  Already relegated, good turnout and gave our team a very respectful standing ovation long after the end of the game. 

A win guaranteed us promotion (behind.......Sc'thorpe!!!) regardless of what Forest or Blackpool did.  City delivered a comprehensive performance so the nerves in the East End weren't overly stretched.  Forest drew at home 0-0.  Blackpool gubbed the Swans away 6-3.

I also remember a Swampy type bloke giving a quality performance on a drum at half time to the Papa's got a brand new pigbag tune.  A great day all round.

My best prediction today..........both teams to start with 11 men.  Apart from that, I'm clueless as usual!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

The travelling Rotherham fans showed really good grace that afternoon (May 5th 2007).  Already relegated, good turnout and gave our team a very respectful standing ovation long after the end of the game. 

A win guaranteed us promotion (behind.......Sc'thorpe!!!) regardless of what Forest or Blackpool did.  City delivered a comprehensive performance so the nerves in the East End weren't overly stretched.  Forest drew at home 0-0.  Blackpool gubbed the Swans away 6-3.

I also remember a Swampy type bloke giving a quality performance on a drum at half time to the Papa's got a brand new pigbag tune.  A great day all round.

My best prediction today..........both teams to start with 11 men.  Apart from that, I'm clueless as usual!

Indeed, always had respect for Rotherham fans after that game they were class. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wouldn’t say a liability…but any mistakes are far outweighed by what he adds to our ability to play and create…imho.

What criteria would you use to back this up Dave?

I like Naismith as a player  but he has directly contributed to us conceding goals when playing as a defender, would you count clean sheets as a plus? At the other end what has he directly contributed while playing as a defender?

13 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Anyone got any fireworks I'm staying in the same hotel as our opponents tomorrow.

No, but the Doris has a mild hangover that she won't shut up about (apparently an undeserved hangover as she didn't drink that much), so I am quite happy to stick her in a taxi and she can bore them in to submission.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I like Naismith as a player  but he has directly contributed to us conceding goals when playing as a defender, would you count clean sheets as a plus? At the other end what has he directly contributed while playing as a defender?

Mostly, those mistakes were trying to play out and keep possession. Terrible though they were, it was trying to change how we played a bit. He has had a big influence in us playing more football and moving the ball quicker. We looked so much better when he stepped forward to a DMF position and his passing was a massive part in our win at Rotherham.
I'd happily see him in the back 4 today, even from the start of the season we look better on the ball and all players happier to receive the ball. That in itself could make his job as CB easier. 
Then again, I'd prefer to see Conway & Wells in a 2 up front. As I've been asked an many occasions , what do I know.

• Like 3