IGNORED

Rotherham United at home match thread

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think the issue with that horrible podcast and Gab (who has a fantastic knowledge across the EFL) is that it’s en vogue to think that a young head-coach type is the answer to every manager change.  They will point at Carrick, Kompany, etc

I’d argue, the right answer is to have a plan, lined up across the club.

They don’t ever mention:

Mowbray

Rowett

Robins

do they?

Blinkered!!!

19 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Transfermarkt has Engvall at €1.6m. And undisclosed with regards to the Mechelen fee. Talk at the time and since also pointed towards very inflated agents fees as part of the deal. I'd also point out I'm not only slighting LJ, but MA and JL as well.

Transfermarkt makes errors, a common problem is not exchanging to GBP.

My error was actually thinking we signed O'Dowda for £1.6m - the above correction is valid, again noting Transfermarkt have the fee in Euros in error. However, being the case, I remove Cornick from my £3.5m total. Doesn't change much, does it?

I could put immeasurable other signings from the MA/LJ era.

Wish people would stop assuming any criticism of LJ is somehow being heightist - odd tangent. I have never insulted LJ personally in reviews of his terms as manager.

Fact of the matter is, we blew nearly £35m of which only a small portion will be recouped, Kalas, Baker, Bentley, Palmer, DaSilva; alone nearly £22m in fees. That's indefensible.

Sorry, you are right regarding Engvall, I was looking at market value.

I never said you have insulted LJ personally, I said 'people'. The amount of comments on here calling him poisonous dwarf, Little Lee, etc even 4-5 years after he left is crazy.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

The issue with these EFL ‘experts’ are comments like these. Totally baseless and offer absolutely no alternative. If he isn’t, who in the champ/l1/l2 is? Say who would suit us. 

Id argue this isn’t a really exciting squad, either. The academy lads coming through, absolutely. But apart from Scott, I don’t think many other managers bring them through to rhe first team in the first place - which if anything proves the point that we have the right man in charge atm anyway!!!

These people do not know the club like we do. They can offer an opinion on a players performance or ability but that’s really about it. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've only seen the Conway Pen in the Concourse at half time, I thought it wasn't but I'll have to wait and hope to see it again.

Funny enough Rotherham's Manager thinks you're wrong.
He said: “ There were three penalty incidents in the game, I think he’s got two decisions right."
:laughcont:

Deluded - biased! ???

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think the issue with that horrible podcast and Gab (who has a fantastic knowledge across the EFL) is that it’s en vogue to think that a young head-coach type is the answer to every manager change.  They will point at Carrick, Kompany, etc

They don’t ever mention:

Mowbray

Rowett

Robins

do they?

Blinkered!!!

Completely. I don't think Pearson's hypothetical summer 2024 successor needs to be young. I just think that it might be a good idea at that point to hand the squad over to someone with a system and a plan to take it forward and to the next level. I don't care how old they are, what nationality they are. 

Say we finish 9th in 2023/24, with a clear slate under whatever FFP rules are in place and a settled squad with a decent mix of prime young, and experienced players. Why not - whilst the club is positive and we have clear heads - why not have a managed proactive handover to a new regime that has new ideas, new energy, and a system tailored to promotion rather than toward "survival during a financial reset".

Why wait until we're 21st and panicking to change manager?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My view on the 3 penalty shouts:

1. Conway is clearly beyond Humphreys, who gets too close to the back of him, puts a hand on him, which is enough due to the proximity of the player chasing him to send him tumbling.  The only reason the ref doesn’t give it is because he knows he’s gonna have to send the Rotherham player off too.  His positioning wasn’t great, as he was in a line behind the two players…but that line of sight should’ve made it look even more clearcut.  Ref got it wrong
  2. Having now seen it again, Hugill initiates contact my moving towards Vyner.  Vyner needs to be smarter and avoid Hugill’s clever play.  Contact is allowed.  Ref got it wrong
  3. Just two bodies / legs coming together (Pring and Kelly) before either plays the ball.  If anything Kelly has gone through Pring to get to the ball.  No pen.  Ref got it right

? At the time I thought the last one was a pen,  but clearly not on seeing the highlights.

Was there also a case for our winner being disallowed? I thought Vyner was offside when AW hit the ball, and was impeding the player on the line  who might have been able to get in the way of the shot.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They don’t ever mention:

Mowbray

Rowett

Robins

do they?

Blinkered!!!

It's en vogue in a lot of boardrooms too by the look. Kompany being linked with Tottenham and Chelsea, no matter how spurious is crazy if any truth at all. He's far from ready.

I know he was a top player and yes I'd say has potential attributes to be a high calibre manager but such chat is ludicrous after admittedly an excellent season albeit Parachute Payments bolstering them. Albeit they had quire a clearout post relegation so that could have gone either way but what a ridiculous leap that'd be.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Conway is clearly beyond Humphreys, who gets too close to the back of him, puts a hand on him, which is enough due to the proximity of the player chasing him to send him tumbling.  The only reason the ref doesn’t give it is because he knows he’s gonna have to send the Rotherham player off too.

Spot on Dave.

My view on the 3 penalty shouts:

1. Conway is clearly beyond Humphreys, who gets too close to the back of him, puts a hand on him, which is enough due to the proximity of the player chasing him to send him tumbling.  The only reason the ref doesn’t give it is because he knows he’s gonna have to send the Rotherham player off too.  His positioning wasn’t great, as he was in a line behind the two players…but that line of sight should’ve made it look even more clearcut.  Ref got it wrong
  2. Having now seen it again, Hugill initiates contact my moving towards Vyner.  Vyner needs to be smarter and avoid Hugill’s clever play.  Contact is allowed.  Ref got it wrong
  3. Just two bodies / legs coming together (Pring and Kelly) before either plays the ball.  If anything Kelly has gone through Pring to get to the ball.  No pen.  Ref got it right

re Conways penalty shout, I got in the ground a bit late so grabbed a seat in the Lower Lansdown, directly in line with the 18 yard line. My first impression was that Conway went down a bit too easy. Not saying it wasn't a pen but can see why it wasn't given.

I was back in the SS second half so didnt see their pen.

29 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

re Conways penalty shout, I got in the ground a bit late so grabbed a seat in the Lower Lansdown, directly in line with the 18 yard line. My first impression was that Conway went down a bit too easy. Not saying it wasn't a pen but can see why it wasn't given.

Outrageous. Wasnt your ticket checked like the Gestapo check ours in Dolman E33?! ????

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Outrageous. Wasnt your ticket checked like the Gestapo check ours in Dolman E33?! ????

No just walked into the nearest entrance sat in the first available seat. Was waiting for a tap on the shoulder but it never came. Missed first five minutes after taking 40 minutes to get fro old market to the hippodrome. Parked at long Ashton park and ride at 2.55. Think the steward felt sorry for me as I climbed the steps puffing and panting.

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Completely. I don't think Pearson's hypothetical summer 2024 successor needs to be young

The trouble with the planning is what does Pearson do?  Everyone makes him so old, he's probably younger than most posters on this thread!

"You are not going to get your contract renewed Nige, thanks for all the fish etc"

"OK" he says

In October when say Middlesborough or Sheffield Wednesday sack their manager - in Nige style - "OK I'll f-off there and all my team are coming with me"

18 minutes ago, Hxj said:

The trouble with the planning is what does Pearson do?  Everyone makes him so old, he's probably younger than most posters on this thread!

"You are not going to get your contract renewed Nige, thanks for all the fish etc"

"OK" he says

In October when say Middlesborough or Sheffield Wednesday sack their manager - in Nige style - "OK I'll f-off there and all my team are coming with me"

I said on some other thread that it's based on an assumption that Pearson doesn't want to extend/renew past 2024. On that basis I'd hope he'd be involved in the process. 

If he wants to carry on then it's a different conversation. If Pearson did quit halfway once told he wasn't being renewed then I guess the answer is that we try to already have the successor lined up and he starts early.

I've also said elsewhere I'd be fine with him carrying on, there's always a chance of a bit of luck turning a top ten team into a top 6 team. I just suspect there are others out there who may have a better chance.

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Well, from what I’ve seen, if you think Conway went down easily for ours (and I’m not disagreeing with that) then their guy went down ten times more easily for theirs that was given! 

• Like 4