IGNORED

Rotherham United at home match thread

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Eeek

As I quoted another, scoring a tap in because you were fortunate to be in the position after being on the floor doesn't make up for weeks of shit performances keeping an upcoming talent out of the team. I stand by what I said, am I happy he scored, of course, he's a city player still but it doesn't change that we wouldn't be struggling to beat shit teams if we didn't keep playing players that are not performing over up and coming talents, especially when you look at the better players in our squad are the younger and hungrier ones, maybe with the exception of Matty James.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

Phew.

We were very comfortable in the first half and very inept in the second.
At 1-1 Rotherham hit the post, Kelly slipped when shooting (having disposed Williams) and they might have got a second pen. Felt like we were hanging on for a point tbh then we nicked it in injury time!

There will much talk about their pen but (1) Vyner put himself in trouble (2) if it had been at the other end we would have wanted it given!

I’m feeling mighty relieved. 

We got less than we deserved against Reading and Watford, so I'm glad that today we took all three points. Good job, lads! ?

2 battles left: a really tough game against Burnley (even a draw would be great) and then QPR away (winnable on paper, despite their surprising result today). COYR!

Edited by Dan Robin
10 minutes ago, Spike said:

As I quoted another, scoring a tap in because you were fortunate to be in the position after being on the floor doesn't make up for weeks of shit performances keeping an upcoming talent out of the team. I stand by what I said, am I happy he scored, of course, he's a city player still but it doesn't change that we wouldn't be struggling to beat shit teams if we didn't keep playing players that are not performing over up and coming talents, especially when you look at the better players in our squad are the younger and hungrier ones, maybe with the exception of Matty James.

Well we outperformed Warford twice and gave a good go against Sheff Utd twice and thats off the top of my head. Performance was there but result wasn't. It happens to all teams 

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I hate this about football fans BTW

Weimann was a hero last season with all his goals. Not been quite as effective this season and getting all your hate 

Yes he was, and this is what I hate about our football fans, we can't accept when our heros aren't up to standard anymore. I mean how many players have we kept in the side in the past because they were "heros" whilst our youth never got game time. If anything look at the current squad, Conway, Bell, Pring, Tanner etc all youth players, young players who have developed because they've been given game time. 

Do I like Weimann as a person, yes, do i want to see him playing frequently if it means young and exciting players are left on the bench? No. It's the same with Vyner, he's improved no end this season and I give him all the credit for that but is he going to be a part of a team that will see us improve next season, no, I don't think he will. Because he's a likeable person and a good professional who has improved people are overlooking that he's still making mistakes in most games, be it a low driven pass that results in us being countered, a poor decision when under pressure, those mistakes are still happening and people are writing them off because they've grown to like them.

I like all of our squad as people and professionals, but I'm not interested in giving them a pat on the back whenever they do something well if their overall performances are not up to scratch as that's what costs games.. De Bruyne is a great example, one of the worlds best midfielders and what did Pep do when his performances went downhill... he dropped him, arguably the best creative midfielder in the world and he was sat on the bench. Pep then puts his young talents in to get game time and give him a kick up the arse and what does he De Bruyne do when he comes back, he plays his heart out because he is driven to prove he should be in the team.

So do I hate Weimann? No, do I think he needs to be dropped and other talents given the chance to prove themselves, yes! I mean if you look at todays game who scored? The young talent who was started instead of a senior player who hasn't been performing well and the man who was finally dropped and came on and had to prove he's still int he mix. Just because I want to see Mehmeti start games it doesn't mean it's wrong to call out a player when they're being shit, just as it doesn't justify them being in the team and being shit when they score an important goal.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Did you see Mehmetis last "performance" ?

He was shocking, looked like he'd won a raffle to be a footballer for the day.

He's got potential, but thats it at the moment, he needs a pre-season.

Hmm let's see, you mean against Sheffield United who were 2nd in the league where he got 3 minutes? Or do you mean the game against Watford when we looked tired and deflated because we were losing when he came on getting a whole 15 minutes? Or do you mean the game against Middlesbrough when again, he got 15 minutes? Or are we talking about the game before that when he got a whole 9 minutes and scored?

The lad has had 4 full games for us since he signed and you think he's going to look at his best having made 14 appearances total and only 4 being full matches? I seem to be getting shit for calling out Weimann and Wells and yet our fans are mugging off Cornick and Mehmeti constantly when they're new here. Weimann and Wells have had years to get settled into the squad, years to develop and feel comfortable at this club and Cornick is being shredded because he's been a little unlucky and isn't scoring for fun when none of our players scores frequently. 

I do agree with you that he needs a pre-season, but this is the kind of game he should be starting in, there is nothing to play for, the opposition will be demotivated by their position but still a challenge because they are fighting relegation, it's the perfect balance of challenge but against weaker opposition and he got no game time at all but everyone is having a love in because Weimann scored one goal in over 500 minutes played!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Just now, petehinton said:

At what point are people going to finally clock Rotherham could still go down, so were always going to be grim to play against as they’re still fighting for their lives?

Agreed. I thought Rotherham played well, well organised, physical and up for it. Never gave up, looked dangerous on the break. Make no mistake...there were some contentious decisions from the officials...we werent our best at doing the simple things well......but we did what was required. It wasn't attractive but it was effective. 

• Like 1