IGNORED

Rotherham United at home match thread

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

The kind of style which beat multiple premier league teams including Mourinho's star studded Manchester United, in a cup that nearly took us to a league cup final?

That win against Man Utd was a managerial masterclass according to LJ himself…….………:cool2:

It was his repeated failure to improve City’s league position season on season that led SL to run out of patience.

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

He did some good harrying at time and won a decent header, but in general I thought he was bog standard and the miss was a shocker. If his confidence has been wavering since signing, today will not have helped at all.

I was gutted not to see Mehmeti today.

I’m definitely not in the know,  but have a gut feeling Mehmeti is currently the subject of some Pearson man management.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, mozo said:

There are some right whingers on the local kabaddi forum ?

You should read Calcutta Railway’s forum, all Andi Singh does is “raid” around a lot.

16 minutes ago, Somerset_redss said:

Does that mean he's now suspended? He was 1 booking away from a suspension pre Man City wasn't he? (apologies if already clarified elsewhere)

No, was only if he got it by game week 38.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I really want him to do well, but I'm really struggling with what Cornick adds to the team.
His touch isn't great, when he closes he looks like he's doing it without a plan. Even ignoring the open goal miss he looks clumsy and directionless at times. I really hope he has a good Pre-Season that makes him more confident and effective. 

Missed a sitter today but judge him after a pre season IMO

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That win against Man Utd was a managerial masterclass according to LJ himself…….………:cool2:

Look at the respective line ups. It must have been a masterclass. Also beating Palace and Watford and very competitive v Man City, twice.

6 minutes ago, Malago said:

I’m definitely not in the know,  but have a gut feeling Mehmeti is currently the subject of some Pearson man management.

Yeah it's an interesting one. Initially, NP was openly praising Anis and put him straight in the team for a few games. Since then he's been dropped but NP has publicly defended him, without stating why he's not playing. 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Look at the respective line ups. It must have been a masterclass. Also beating Palace and Watford and very competitive v Man City, twice.

Yeah it's an interesting one. Initially, NP was openly praising Anis and put him straight in the team for a few games. Since then he's been dropped but NP has publicly defended him, without stating why he's not playing. 

Whilst the cup run was enjoyable fun it was a distraction. It was the Championship that really mattered and that’s where LJ failed

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Whilst the cup run was enjoyable fun it was a distraction. It was the Championship that really mattered and that’s where LJ failed

He got us our highest Championship finishes since... What was the other guy's name?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, petehinton said:

At what point are people going to finally clock Rotherham could still go down, so were always going to be grim to play against as they’re still fighting for their lives?

It’s not the done thing on here to give any consideration that there are 11 opponents on the pitch trying to execute their gameplan whilst disrupting ours.

They have some decent enough players, and before today had just 7 less points than us.

Players like Ogbene, Johannson, Lindsay and West Ham loanee Coventry.

Hardly a reason to be cocky is it?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Beni71 said:

Missed a sitter today but judge him after a pre season IMO

He would have had a pre season at Luton , I think that's a stretch to think it would make that much difference. I really want to be wrong about this. He was decent at Sheff U but still looked clumsy and awkward, I did feel the same way about Marley Watkins and changed my mind. Lets hope that Cornick is the same.

15 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I liked the look of Coventry. Think he'd be a  ery good addition to our midfield, King with a bit more mobility. 

image.thumb.png.27cdc132a8357b91a79b70ba26cb88a9.png
He had a good game today, I thought…better than last year when he was being discussed on the transfer sub-forum.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

He would have had a pre season at Luton , I think that's a stretch to think it would make that much difference. I really want to be wrong about this. He was decent at Sheff U but still looked clumsy and awkward, I did feel the same way about Marley Watkins and changed my mind. Lets hope that Cornick is the same.

I don’t think it’s fitness per se, but pre-season adjustment to how we play / how he plays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think it’s fitness per se, but pre-season adjustment to how we play / how he plays.

Totally get that, and I hope it makes a significant difference. But I worry that he looks clumsy and his touch is awkward, his press unfocused . Little instincts like playing back all the time instead of looking forward, then if nothing is on going back , the opposite to Matty James.
Maybe the run of games has hindered training and it's been too much play/recover/play/recover , I hope so. 
He was much more involved in a positive way at Sheff U, today he did a few good things but for the most part struggled to impact the game. Next year will tell.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

It was his repeated failure to improve City’s league position season on season that led SL to run out of patience.

2016 - Finished 18th

2016/17 - Finished 17th

2017/18 - Finished 11th

2018/19 - Finished 8th

You say it was "his failure to improve City's league position season on season..."

I used to think people gave you a hard time on here, but you actually don't know what you're on about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1
17 minutes ago, grifty said:

2016 - Finished 18th

2016/17 - Finished 17th

2017/18 - Finished 11th

2018/19 - Finished 8th

You say it was "his failure to improve City's league position season on season..."

I used to think people gave you a hard time on here, but you actually don't know what you're on about.

SL had given license to improve the club in anticipation that he’d get City into the PL….Sadly that never happened and SL told LJ that he wanted to see improved league positions season on season.
In many way LJ made a rod for his own back by gradually improving league placing but when it became mathematically impossible for City finish above 8th SL ran out of patience and sacked him - many fans had wanted LJ gone long before the axe finally fell but SL has resisted those calls.

Then we had the procrastination of appointing a new manager lasting weeks and weeks before the inexperienced DH was appointed and we all know how that ended…….

However…..every cloud has a silver lining and within just a few hours Nige was appointed and he not only kept City up but offloaded much of the dead wood.

We had a proper manager at long last and he’s rebuilt the squad and developed a positive culture throughout the club - an essential ingredient towards taking the club forward.

Edited by Robbored
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, grifty said:

2016 - Finished 18th

2016/17 - Finished 17th

2017/18 - Finished 11th

2018/19 - Finished 8th

His last season we finished 12th after holden took over. I think it was the final straw because even after a lengthy covid break we were still awful and we would have finished worse.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

His last season we finished 12th after holden took over. I think it was the final straw because even after a lengthy covid break we were still awful and we would have finished worse.

It was the right decision. LJ has been a manager of 5 clubs, over 10 years, covering nearly 500 games......and has just 1 Papa John's Pizza Trophy ? on his CV .  He wasn't taking us anywhere.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, CodeRed said:

It was the right decision. LJ has been a manager of 5 clubs, over 10 years, covering nearly 500 games......and has just 1 Papa John's Pizza Trophy ? on his CV .  He wasn't taking us anywhere.

Arguably he could have taken Sunderland up. They made a good fist of their first season back and LJ must take some credit for that. I wondered that if he had done it would that have sparked something in him to fulfill his potential. Perhaps made him relax a little ,with genuine confidence and not the  bluff that comes over. I think he could be an excellent coach but there is just a little something not quite right. 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

SL had given license to improve the club in anticipation that he’d get City into the PL….Sadly that never happened and SL told LJ that he wanted to see improved league positions season on season.
In many way LJ made a rod for his own back by gradually improving league placing but when it became mathematically impossible for City finish above 8th SL ran out of patience and sacked him - many fans had wanted LJ gone long before the axe finally fell but SL has resisted those calls.

Then we had the procrastination of appointing a new manager lasting weeks and weeks before the inexperienced DH was appointed and we all know how that ended…….

However…..every cloud has a silver lining and within just a few hours Nige was appointed and he not only kept City up but offloaded much of the dead wood.

We had a proper manager at long last and he’s rebuilt the squad and developed a positive culture throughout the club - an essential ingredient towards taking the club forward.

Building on this point LJ had funds to back the playoff push. Think we spent as much on Gustav Engvalls transfer fee as Nige has in his tenure to date.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, grifty said:

2016 - Finished 18th

2016/17 - Finished 17th

2017/18 - Finished 11th

2018/19 - Finished 8th

My general personal view with LJ is that spending and performances, irrespective of league position, were woeful. I was all for countering the opposition, the problem with it, is that when you can't counter the opposition - you look a bit stupid. Que the zero shots on target etc, and our general lack of having any idea what to do with the ball at the end of his tenure.

I'd take the current football under Pearson over anything LJ served up in his final 24 months in charge. Namely because I actually see us trying to play with an identity, irrespective of opposition, with an academy pathway, something much mooted under LJ that never actually happened, Kelly aside being the only example.

We're on task to finish 14th, roughly 4 point behind LJs 63 point finish in 2020.

Signing fees of LJs 18 most played players -  circa £46m. Pearson - £9m, of which £6m was two LJs signings (Weimann, Wells).

Wages, £34m per annum vs £25m per annum (circa 26% reduction in playing staff cost).

On another note - Ryan Dilks of the Second Tier pod really needs to do some research before spouting some utter bollucks. Not sure why you'd put out an opinion on a club without basic fact checking or feedback and be surprised when you get pilloried for it. Had us favourites to go down, we're midtable, still insist we need a 'young and upcoming manager' without providing a viable name as an example and reckons we need a complete squad overhaul and new identity.

Then the next second praises the younger players. I... what??

How does it not click that part of the the reason academy players have integrated so well is because of NP?

• Like 6
  • Robin 1
  • Admin
15 hours ago, petehinton said:

At what point are people going to finally clock Rotherham could still go down, so were always going to be grim to play against as they’re still fighting for their lives?

Stop it!! 

We don't allow sensible replies when people are moaning ?

• Haha 3
18 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Building on this point LJ had funds to back the playoff push. Think we spent as much on Gustav Engvalls transfer fee as Nige has in his tenure to date.

If those sums are correct,they do bring perspective - Nigel's work here thus far is clearly impressive.(not to all,mind!).

I'm nervous now about what can be achieved with a few quid in the back pocket! 

• Like 1