IGNORED

Favourite instrumental by a rock band

Norn Iron

Has there been a thread on this? 

I have been chewing on this conundrum for a few days. For me, I have to go back to my Prog days. What a track. What a band. My nomination is...

Stationary Traveller by Camel.

Here's the excellent live version

• Like 1

I think most would be something prog(ish)!

La Villa Strangiato or YYZ by Rush and Hoedown by ELP would be favourites without giving it too much thought.

away from Prog Russian Fields by Snuff is almost instrumental, March Of The Crabs by Anvil was a classic of my youth.

Green Onions is obviously an old classic as well.

There will be plenty of others that I will remember once people post them here as well!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Without the Yodelling, Hocus Pocus...

?

Digressing slightly, we have new Dutch neighbours, and we were discussing recently what sort of music we used to like when we were younger.

I was asked whether I was familiar with any Dutch music and, embarrassingly, I could only answer Mouth and MacNeill ? and some other rock group, whose name I just couldn’t remember.

It was, of course, Focus, and their great guitarist, Jan Ackerman.

• Like 1

I don't know if you count these. Most of Public Service Broadcasting's music is set to old tapes on all sorts of subjects, but there are no "vocals" as such. 

The first one is Apollo control during the first orbit of the moon. The swell of the music and the PA's voice as contact is re-established, makes me emotional every time.

The second one is Signal 30 which takes it's cue from a American anti drink driving campaign in the 1950's, I love the guitar on this.

• Like 2

Couldn't choose one...........here are a couple !

The Stranger .....Shadows

Peaches en Regalia  .......Zappa

Rhinocratic Oaths...........Bonzos

Sir B. McKenzie's Daughter's Lament For The 77Th Mounted Lancers Retreat From The Straits Of Loch Knombe  In The Year Of Our Lord 1727, On The Occasion Of The Announcement Of Her Marriage To The Laird Of Kinleakie..........Fairport Convention

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know if you count these. Most of Public Service Broadcasting's music is set to old tapes on all sorts of subjects, but there are no "vocals" as such. 

The first one is Apollo control during the first orbit of the moon. The swell of the music and the PA's voice as contact is re-established, makes me emotional every time.

The second one is Signal 30 which takes it's cue from a American anti drink driving campaign in the 1950's, I love the guitar on this.

That's funny...I was going to post exactly the same tracks, but thought the vocals from tape would not count them as Instrumental. Great band. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spudski said:

How did I forget this gem. Great baseline. 

And this...another great baseline. 

I'd forgotten about this Simple Minds track, they did a few instrumentals around this time that were absolutely stunning pieces of work, right better get these albums back on the turntable!

• Like 2