IGNORED

U21s v Wigan 13.00

bcfc01

12 hours ago, JBFC II said:

2-0 at half time. Nobody really standing out for City so far, Owusu-Antwi is rapid and looks dangerous when he gets on the ball, but has seen very little of it thus far. 

Interesting thing of note is we are playing 3-4-1-2. Always thought academy teams mirrored the first teams formation?

Yes I noticed our U21s have been playing three at the back as well. 

I mentioned it in another thread not so long ago. 

I haven't a clue why. 

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

I haven't a clue why. 

The only thing I can think is that he has plans to return to it next season if the recruiting goes well?

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The only thing I can think is that he has plans to return to it next season if the recruiting goes well?

Personally I don't think he will. 

It may have something to do with the players we have available in academy's. 

Or it may have something to do with that type of system possibly influences the players more in their development. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I haven't a clue why. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think Nige will be focussed on what is the best system for the first team, based on the players he has available.

I don’t think Nige will be overly worried about the system the u21s (PDL2) or u18s (Glos Cup) play per se.  It’s a “nice to have” in my opinion.

The u21s have played with a back four of late anyway.  Can’t comment on u18s.

Certain players (quite a lot actually) in u21s have played in multiple positions, e.g. Zak Bell has played RWB, RB and RCB3, Tommy Backwell has played CM, AM, off the main striker, etc.  So they are being “brought up” to be flexible.

I totally get the “same system all the way through the club”, but I think it’s more about the “way” we play more than blobs on a pitch map, e.g. how we press, how we build-up play, how we create in the final third, etc.  Nige has said we need to be flexible in game too, because one way won’t always work.

FWIW I don’t think Nige will be planning to go to a Back Three / Wingbacks system next season.

• Like 2

On 26/04/2023 at 09:59, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I think Nige will be focussed on what is the best system for the first team, based on the players he has available.

I don’t think Nige will be overly worried about the system the u21s (PDL2) or u18s (Glos Cup) play per se.  It’s a “nice to have” in my opinion.

The u21s have played with a back four of late anyway.  Can’t comment on u18s.

Certain players (quite a lot actually) in u21s have played in multiple positions, e.g. Zak Bell has played RWB, RB and RCB3, Tommy Backwell has played CM, AM, off the main striker, etc.  So they are being “brought up” to be flexible.

I totally get the “same system all the way through the club”, but I think it’s more about the “way” we play more than blobs on a pitch map, e.g. how we press, how we build-up play, how we create in the final third, etc.  Nige has said we need to be flexible in game too, because one way won’t always work.

FWIW I don’t think Nige will be planning to go to a Back Three / Wingbacks system next season.

I've never been sure about this "same system throughout the club" mantra. It's one dimensional at it's extreme and totally dependent on your First Team Manager situation. The job of the Academy is to produce technical players who are "tactically flexible" and not only able to play one system. By the time you are 19/20 the Manager should be able to say we are playing X formation today and you really ought to know, subject to a few of the finer details you need to know at pro level, what your basic role is not be looking at the bloke saying "what the hell do I do now?".

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Just beaten Crewe 2-0, Francois and Morrison with the goals.

Guaranteed at least runner-up place in the southern section - 5 points behind Millwall with two games left.

As it stands, its Sheffield Utd in the semi-final play off for the overall national champions.

• Like 2