IGNORED

Trent Alexander-Arnold Campaign

Port Said Red

Trent Alexander-Arnold on football academies and release of players - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65399672

I am just watching some of this on BBC Breakfast, very interesting subject. I know that City, especially Tinnion is keen to ensure support for youngsters that don't make it here, but I wonder how many other clubs do they same?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Trent Alexander-Arnold on football academies and release of players - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65399672

I am just watching some of this on BBC Breakfast, very interesting subject. I know that City, especially Tinnion is keen to ensure support for youngsters that don't make it here, but I wonder how many other clubs do they same?

Thanks, interesting article.

As you say, I understand City are very good both at the “in care” and the “after care” piece but I have heard others are far worse. 

The biggest thing for me here is managing expectations. We have (now) a blossoming academy - but that still means only a couple from each age group come through here and maybe a couple more elsewhere. North of 75% of players won’t make it and clubs can’t just treat them is flotsam and jetsam - they are being taken (in part) out of school systems so they have to get them ready for life as much as a school would.

There is also here a massive piece for the parents. Working in youth football the vast majority are realistic about their kids and see it for what it is. However, there are a few parents (luckily I don’t have any currently) who if their child has a scintilla of ability will move them from club to club, push them into trials. Those same parents, when kids are in academies, can’t see a day when their child will be released - and if the parents see it that way, imagine how the kids mentality is.

I remember years ago reading Fever Pitch. There’s a passage about Gus Caesar. To get through, Gus had to be the best player in schools, then areas, then regions - and he’s a joke to many in the pro game. It illustrates how damn hard it is and what the level is.

Definitely some academies could do more. But I really also think there is a lot of parental honesty needed here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This series, free to watch on C4, gives a really good insight into the young kids progress at a professional academy, and the emotions a family goes through. It's an eye opener in some places, especially how soon the Agents get involved. 

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/academy/channel-4-to-air-documentary-series-on-crystal-palace-academy-football-dreams-the-academy/

Academies look after their players much better these days. 

Not so long ago, they knew only a few would make it...however...running an academy you need a team/squad to play. They knew the majority wouldn't make it...you encourage and develop and give all of them the best chance to make it. But they still kept kids on, even knowing their was no chance of making it...as you need numbers. Releasing at the right time imo is the best thing to do for a young en. Don't keep them if you know they won't make it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

This series, free to watch on C4, gives a really good insight into the young kids progress at a professional academy, and the emotions a family goes through. It's an eye opener in some places, especially how soon the Agents get involved. 

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/academy/channel-4-to-air-documentary-series-on-crystal-palace-academy-football-dreams-the-academy/

Not so long ago, they knew only a few would make it...however...running an academy you need a team/squad to play. They knew the majority wouldn't make it...you encourage and develop and give all of them the best chance to make it. But they still kept kids on, even knowing their was no chance of making it...as you need numbers. Releasing at the right time imo is the best thing to do for a young en. Don't keep them if you know they won't make it. 

The way they are treated as commodities is the dehumanising aspect of this. It filters through all aspects of the game, you hear it on the terraces and you see it on here, "get rid", "sell him now" "use player X as a makeweight to buy player Y". The tendency to forget that there are human beings not chess pieces to be moved around a board.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Watched the Palace thing, and agree, it was excellent.

There is an inherent problem with your last statement- as you rightly say earlier you need to have a team to play matches etc, and we know that probably 7-9 out of each starting 11 won’t make it. The coaches will know that too - they’ll have a few they think are safe bets, a few borderline but by nature, will have some that just will not get there. I’d totally agree you should release as soon as possible, but the practicalities here mean that clubs have to keep players on and it’s for me, a real “managing expectations” piece.

Tricky one though.

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There is an inherent problem with your last statement- as you rightly say earlier you need to have a team to play matches etc, and we know that probably 7-9 out of each starting 11 won’t make it. The coaches will know that too - they’ll have a few they think are safe bets, a few borderline but by nature, will have some that just will not get there. I’d totally agree you should release as soon as possible, but the practicalities here mean that clubs have to keep players on and it’s for me, a real “managing expectations” piece.

Tricky one though.

Honesty maybe? "Look lad, we don't think you have it, but if you want to keep playing we are happy to have you here and will look for other opportunities for you" that kind of thing?

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tricky one though.

As you say it's a tricky one...as the system needs numbers. 

It's a very difficult one for coaches. As they have to be realistic with parents and kids that stats prove the majority won't make it. Straight away that info is a negative in their heads. They are told to work hard...and if they work hard they can possibly make it. 

After working as hard as they can...they are still released. That knock back is incredibly hard for a kid to take. 

Yes it's life...and the saying ' what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' is easy to say, but harder to live by at that age. 

The psychological side of the game is just, as if not more important than the physical. 

• Like 1

When I did my FA badge I was told that if the birthdays of those in the academies was analysed the majority are born between September to December. It's a bit like academic education too where those who are a bit older in the intake, born in the first third of the eligible period, have the advantage over those born in the last third.

However, and this is the interesting thing, those who make it in the pro game are more likely to be born in the last third of any intake, May to August. So that last third are less likely to make it into an academy but when they do they're more likely to make it into the pro game.

Had a quick look at the Bristol City squad and 13 players have birthdays between May to August out of about 28. 

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Honesty maybe? "Look lad, we don't think you have it, but if you want to keep playing we are happy to have you here and will look for other opportunities for you" that kind of thing?

No idea how they do pitch it, but the fact is there will be some who absolutely wont make it but the club still need to have the player. It is probably best positioned as you state above but definitely not an easy answer - probably the first step is managing general expectations (re the numbers who make it, putting emphasis on gaining other qualifications if they don’t get through).

As I say, a lot here really has to be on parents keeping kids feet on the ground.

37 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

No idea how they do pitch it, but the fact is there will be some who absolutely wont make it but the club still need to have the player. It is probably best positioned as you state above but definitely not an easy answer - probably the first step is managing general expectations (re the numbers who make it, putting emphasis on gaining other qualifications if they don’t get through).

As I say, a lot here really has to be on parents keeping kids feet on the ground.

About 12 years ago, when I worked for a local council, I had a day's training course run by a guy who talked about how his 16 year old son was being feted as one of the most promising footballers in the country and how he was going to play for England and how much he was investing in his son's career. I've tracked the son's career ever since. He's 28 now and after a few England Under 16 and Under 17 appearances, he's carved out a steady career in the Championship (he plays for a lower mid-table club - not us and the guy wasn't from Bristol) and has played in roughly half his team's games this season.

He's essentially one of the ones who has succeeded but, whilst his Dad seemed lovely, the fact he was talking his son up so much to a bunch of strangers does make me wonder how much pressure and expectation he was putting on him at home... 

• Like 1

Skimreading the article reminded me, someone I went to school with well this was some time ago.

Can't recall when exactly but he was actually a City fan. Goalie in City Academy...must have been very difficult for him when he didn't make it, but not many do!

Dunno if he still watches, follows from afar or what.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I know a few people at different clubs, and almost universally they’re ashamed how kids are treated as commodities, but that’s the nature of it and everyone knows it’s a cutthroat business. 

Know a few lads that never “made it” either, and for two of them it was a bit of a shock, and back then there was no support at all.  

Not sure how I’d feel if either of mine got an academy invite, it’s a great opportunity but incredibly unlikely to result into a career. 

It is sad the way kids are treated but I also think parents need to take some responsibility, some fill there heads with unicorns and rainbows, joining this academy and this will happen if you try hard enough. Very few make it as we know. There was a programme on tele, had to be 10 years ago about Chelsea academy, there must been 200 kids in the academy and they asked the coach how many would play a premier league game, about  2 was the answer and a dozen or so at lower league if lucky. 

A relative of mine is a pro footballer now playing in the MLS. He joined his local club academy at age 7 and stayed with them till about 26 when he got his move abroad.

I remember his story when he was 16 and they were giving out the contracts. The lads were all called in one at a time, he got a 2 year contract and so did another, 14 were released.

he was at a premier league club, over the previous 4 years they’d been trained to be premier league players both in the pitch and off it, all 16 lads thought they would be premier league players.

After the interview my cousin was talking to the assistant manager, he said it must be hard having to let all those lads down.

not really he replied, we’ve known since they were 10 years old the two we wanted, the rest he had to keep so they could play matches!

It’s great he made it but you’ve got to feel for the ones who don’t, having to try and build a life outside football at such a young age

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

It is sad the way kids are treated but I also think parents need to take some responsibility, some fill there heads with unicorns and rainbows, joining this academy and this will happen if you try hard enough. Very few make it as we know. There was a programme on tele, had to be 10 years ago about Chelsea academy, there must been 200 kids in the academy and they asked the coach how many would play a premier league game, about  2 was the answer and a dozen or so at lower league if lucky. 

What was sad in the documentary I gave in the link above, was how some parents saw their kids talent as a way of getting out of poverty. 

When they interviewed the kids about their dreams if they made it...they didn't mention their football goals, but instead what material possessions they could buy for themselves and family. 

We know this goes on in other countries, but wasn't expecting it so close to home. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paulton Red said:

A relative of mine is a pro footballer now playing in the MLS. He joined his local club academy at age 7 and stayed with them till about 26 when he got his move abroad.

I remember his story when he was 16 and they were giving out the contracts. The lads were all called in one at a time, he got a 2 year contract and so did another, 14 were released.

he was at a premier league club, over the previous 4 years they’d been trained to be premier league players both in the pitch and off it, all 16 lads thought they would be premier league players.

After the interview my cousin was talking to the assistant manager, he said it must be hard having to let all those lads down.

not really he replied, we’ve known since they were 10 years old the two we wanted, the rest he had to keep so they could play matches!

It’s great he made it but you’ve got to feel for the ones who don’t, having to try and build a life outside football at such a young age

Exactly what I was told re keeping players just as ' numbers'. 

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thanks, interesting article.

As you say, I understand City are very good both at the “in care” and the “after care” piece but I have heard others are far worse. 

The biggest thing for me here is managing expectations. We have (now) a blossoming academy - but that still means only a couple from each age group come through here and maybe a couple more elsewhere. North of 75% of players won’t make it and clubs can’t just treat them is flotsam and jetsam - they are being taken (in part) out of school systems so they have to get them ready for life as much as a school would.

There is also here a massive piece for the parents. Working in youth football the vast majority are realistic about their kids and see it for what it is. However, there are a few parents (luckily I don’t have any currently) who if their child has a scintilla of ability will move them from club to club, push them into trials. Those same parents, when kids are in academies, can’t see a day when their child will be released - and if the parents see it that way, imagine how the kids mentality is.

I remember years ago reading Fever Pitch. There’s a passage about Gus Caesar. To get through, Gus had to be the best player in schools, then areas, then regions - and he’s a joke to many in the pro game. It illustrates how damn hard it is and what the level is.

Definitely some academies could do more. But I really also think there is a lot of parental honesty needed here.

What makes you think that City are very good at both ‘in care’ and ‘after care’?  In my experience (which is not negligible), City are no different to any other academy in the way that they select and release boys, and I’ve seen a lot of boys struggle in the past-release period.  Also, sometimes you feel that recruitment is aimed at getting the right squad to enable one or maybe two boys to progress.  For instance I know of someone recruited by City in the recent past who I and others would be astonished if he made it, but he fulfils a squad need.  I doubt for one moment that City believe he has a future in the adult game though.

This is the problem.  Scouts are very often looking to meet a squad need, rather than looking for special talent, so boys are recruited with almost no chance of making it.  And in the meantime they are training three or four times a week, and their parents have to facilitate this, which usually requires huge personal sacrifice.

You can blame the parents for being too ambitious, but how many parents are prepared to tell their son they can’t take up an academy place if they’re scouted, particularly once they’re 12 and over?

There is so much that rings true in the comments above.

A short anecdote - I was around with the in laws one evening years ago, we watched a Champions League game, possibly a final. As the players walked out to the music in front of 60k fans, my sister in law said 'wow, it is really exciting to think that this could be xxxxxx (her son) doing this in a few years time'.

Her son was in the room, he was about 14 and at Southampton's academy. I nearly choked on my drink at how irresponsible it was to say that. Of course, he never made it. He works in a building trade now, had a tough time with injuries and got very disillusioned.

Everyone else got blamed by her, the coaches, the club, the physios, it was all someone else fault. For me, he didn't quite have what it takes, but the major issue was the system and the way the lads seem to go from hero to zero. I also blame her for constantly bigging him up which made the fall that much harder.

I applaud any improvements that change how this all happens and would point out that it is similar in rugby too.

Parental realism is they key. I know a lad who was literally ruined by his old man. Had a lot talent but his Dad could not take on board any advice the kid was given and spent half his time lecturing the coaches who couldn’t handle the next Messi in his eyes. 21 and hasn’t kicked a ball since he decided himself he’d had a guts full of it!!

My lad was voted player of the tournament one year by his team mates and released 12 months later. He knew it was coming and was very low on confidence by the end. All you can do is tell them to go down a level and start enjoying football again. They will find their natural level in the end if they want to.

Unfortunately the touch lines are infested by parents who know better. I’ve heard it……..“My lad was as good as Sam Bell, Tommy Conway, Rubin Colwill, Saka etc.”. No he wasn’t, they play pro football and your lad sits on the bench at Southern League level pal.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What makes you think that City are very good at both ‘in care’ and ‘after care’?  In my experience (which is not negligible), City are no different to any other academy in the way that they select and release boys, and I’ve seen a lot of boys struggle in the past-release period.  Also, sometimes you feel that recruitment is aimed at getting the right squad to enable one or maybe two boys to progress.  For instance I know of someone recruited by City in the recent past who I and others would be astonished if he made it, but he fulfils a squad need.  I doubt for one moment that City believe he has a future in the adult game though.

This is the problem.  Scouts are very often looking to meet a squad need, rather than looking for special talent, so boys are recruited with almost no chance of making it.  And in the meantime they are training three or four times a week, and their parents have to facilitate this, which usually requires huge personal sacrifice.

You can blame the parents for being too ambitious, but how many parents are prepared to tell their son they can’t take up an academy place if they’re scouted, particularly once they’re 12 and over?

Just a few kids I know who’ve gone through the system, and speaking to the parents the feedback was really positive along the lines of ensuring schoolwork didn’t suffer, expanding skills and keeping the boys “grounded”. I realise that every experience may be different, and Tbf if we had the next Pele in the academy but he wasn’t that hot on schoolwork, I doubt us (or any academy) will give a shit.

I don’t actually think we’re saying different things - academies take players often who won’t make it, even on “entry”, but more commonly after a period in the system. The sticking point is you need a squad, so although not having kids around who have no chance is better for them long term, you don’t have a viable academy without it.

And it is very hard for parents to say no - however in my experience the parents (and by extension the kids) who have had the “best” experience are the ones who are grounded and realistic. Those parents see the sacrifice as supporting the child in an experience with (maybe) something at the end as opposed to a guaranteed career and the kids know the trade off for the support.

(On a personal basis my son is, IMO, a step below academy and is 11. If he was offered a place somewhere it wouldn’t be a given to say yes, and I’d be looking at the “care” infrastructure in place - but would be viewing it as a fantastic experience for him above all else)

It again, I think, comes down to managing expectations and the parental piece here is huge.

• Like 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Just a few kids I know who’ve gone through the system, and speaking to the parents the feedback was really positive along the lines of ensuring schoolwork didn’t suffer, expanding skills and keeping the boys “grounded”. I realise that every experience may be different, and Tbf if we had the next Pele in the academy but he wasn’t that hot on schoolwork, I doubt us (or any academy) will give a shit.

I don’t actually think we’re saying different things - academies take players often who won’t make it, even on “entry”, but more commonly after a period in the system. The sticking point is you need a squad, so although not having kids around who have no chance is better for them long term, you don’t have a viable academy without it.

And it is very hard for parents to say no - however in my experience the parents (and by extension the kids) who have had the “best” experience are the ones who are grounded and realistic. Those parents see the sacrifice as supporting the child in an experience with (maybe) something at the end as opposed to a guaranteed career and the kids know the trade off for the support.

(On a personal basis my son is, IMO, a step below academy and is 11. If he was offered a place somewhere it wouldn’t be a given to say yes, and I’d be looking at the “care” infrastructure in place - but would be viewing it as a fantastic experience for him above all else)

It again, I think, comes down to managing expectations and the parental piece here is huge.

That’s the key, treat is as an experience. My lad had played with and against quite a few of players who we all know in the pro game and had some great experiences playing top academies, abroad etc.

The fact they aren’t good enough to make it is something you might have to accept as a parent, is not the be all and end all and if handled the right way it can give them lifelong memories and also make them the best player they can be and enjoy football for life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

When I did my FA badge I was told that if the birthdays of those in the academies was analysed the majority are born between September to December. It's a bit like academic education too where those who are a bit older in the intake, born in the first third of the eligible period, have the advantage over those born in the last third.

However, and this is the interesting thing, those who make it in the pro game are more likely to be born in the last third of any intake, May to August. So that last third are less likely to make it into an academy but when they do they're more likely to make it into the pro game.

Had a quick look at the Bristol City squad and 13 players have birthdays between May to August out of about 28. 

I  was team manger for Somerset Athletics Cross country teams ,  over 75% birthday was before January   September to December.  this was for under 13 and under 15 girls and boys 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

A top GB Sprinter as a 15 year old was told he had to get his A levels and an idea of a career pathway just in case he had a serious injury early on in his career.   

33 minutes ago, ZumerZetSmithy said:

A top GB Sprinter as a 15 year old was told he had to get his A levels and an idea of a career pathway just in case he had a serious injury early on in his career.   

It's a difficult one isn't it? I should imagine for every person telling them to "have something to fall back on" there are probably just as many if not more telling them they are not dedicated enough if they spend time away from their sport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulton Red said:

That's an awful story but thanks for sharing.  I guess it's better to at least be honest with the young person that your unlikely to take them on, but if they want to play they would like them to stay and they will support them any other ways they can. At least they can choose. 

When you step back it's all a bit ****** up really. Kids from a young age ultimately treated like commodities by adults in their lives and very little of their own agency. All the transfer stories of really young kids around 14 years old being picked up by clubs and agents fighting over them. It must be hard for the child whose being tipped for greatness and no wonder so many don't ever quite reach those heights. 

I definitely agree with what people say about parents and needing to keep them grounded too. So many parents will see the money signs and also the sheer pride of seeing their kid make it - living their dreams through their children. It's a lot for a child to process amongst all the other things that teenagers go through. Hell I've seen parents destroy their kids by forcing them into careers and university courses that they don't really want to do so it's not strictly limited to football. 

It's hard when they are breaking through too - I remember I hadn't been to football for years so I was a bit desensitised and I saw this 40 year old bloke going absolutely ballistic at Jonathan Leko who was on loan and 18 at the time. Obviously I just saw an 18 year old kid out of his home city getting bare abuse for nothing other than maybe not being quite ready yet. Obviously it's all part of it, but we all forget the human elemen of this sometimes. 

Im glad and hopeful the support is better now and it's also positive there is a lot more support for people when they leave the game.

Edited by Rebounder

I heard earlier this season (from someone who had been speaking to a City scout) that at one age group City were only looking for players indicated to reach a specific minimum height.  This very much confirms my suspicions that at times the characteristics of the squad are more important in recruitment than the ability of individual boys.

3 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

There is so much that rings true in the comments above.

A short anecdote - I was around with the in laws one evening years ago, we watched a Champions League game, possibly a final. As the players walked out to the music in front of 60k fans, my sister in law said 'wow, it is really exciting to think that this could be xxxxxx (her son) doing this in a few years time'.

Her son was in the room, he was about 14 and at Southampton's academy. I nearly choked on my drink at how irresponsible it was to say that. Of course, he never made it. He works in a building trade now, had a tough time with injuries and got very disillusioned.

Everyone else got blamed by her, the coaches, the club, the physios, it was all someone else fault. For me, he didn't quite have what it takes, but the major issue was the system and the way the lads seem to go from hero to zero. I also blame her for constantly bigging him up which made the fall that much harder.

I applaud any improvements that change how this all happens and would point out that it is similar in rugby too.

The mum was not doing her son any favours there. My second cousin won a football scholarship to Millfield - probably the top UK public school for sports. Their coach was Jeff Butler, who had been South African national coach in the early 90s. Future Somerset cricketer James Hildreth was the captain. 

My relative was given various trials by professional clubs and played for Bournemouth very briefly on a non-contract basis, but was released and went on to have a non-league career which he still maintains, albeit at a much lower level than in the 2000s.  The school, and this lad's parents, were very insistent on giving sports scholarship boys practical skills that will equip them for a fall-back career if they do not work in or play the sports they major in. In my relative's case, he was able to take up a very lucrative career in IT networking. 

I know City have the same mentality and ensure the kids going through their academy have academic and practical skills so they aren't on a scrap-heap in their teens. Parents wouldn't let their kids sign now, if this wasn't the case. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I heard earlier this season (from someone who had been speaking to a City scout) that at one age group City were only looking for players indicated to reach a specific minimum height.  This very much confirms my suspicions that at times the characteristics of the squad are more important in recruitment than the ability of individual boys.

I know from people having been through city’s academy that the parents height is logged, and I think it even went to asking about grandparents. This was for a GK where height is pretty vital so the club were trying to get an indication if the keeper would be likely to meet “minimum height requirements” for that position. One where I’d imagine if they were excellent all round at the age of 14 but a bit short the club might keep them on and see if they have a spurt, but if they were borderline the height might be a tipping factor.

I do know the club are looking at people who are good athletes as one of primary focus currently.

• Like 1