IGNORED

Steve Lansdown’s total expenditure on the football club

fanjita

Just had a browse on Gaschat and saw a topic relating to the cost of running a football club in the Championship.

someone has quoted our owner having spent £240m.

We will never know the exact amount I know, but has anyone got a ball park figure as a matter of interest?

Gaschat ? Its like Russian State TV on there. Amazing how they don't post about how much it took Villa, Derby, Forest and how much it contonues to cost sides with parachute payments. 

With all that money we have improved stadium, youth and training facilities. And whilst the owner wasted quite a bit its better than spending 3-5 million a year and not getting tier 2 football for what 23 years? 

Bristol City Holdings = BCFC Football and AG Stadium companies.

image.thumb.png.c6408fc6b62c5500ef0c9d0becd4a57b.png

he’s in for about £200m.

As for how much he’ll get should he sell Bristol City Holdings (BCH) - a significantly smaller number than £200m.

I said recently I thought that BCH is worth £80m give or take £20m.  But humongous guesswork from me.

There are of course different ways of selling off “Pula Sport” and he has other stakes either directly linked or indirectly linked, e.g. the Longmoor Housing Development.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Bristol City Holdings = BCFC Football and AG Stadium companies.

image.thumb.png.c6408fc6b62c5500ef0c9d0becd4a57b.png

he’s in for about £200m.

As for how much he’ll get should he sell Bristol City Holdings (BCH) - a significantly smaller number than £200m.

I said recently I thought that BCH is worth £80m give or take £20m.  But humongous guesswork from me.

I agree, BCH (being essentially the men's team, the women's team, the trading ground and AG) is probably in the region of £80-£100m depending on exact league position and a few other things.

So Lansdown is looking at a 50% loss. 

Although of course he does have his name on the biggest stand, which is priceless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

The question is, when he sells, how much of whatever he has spent will he recoup? I’ve literally no idea and couldn’t even guess but it’s a lot more than nothing! 

If we do sell I don't think that's the most important question. I obviously don't know Steve's mindset when selling but I think he's bankrolled us due his affinity for the club and Bristol. His further investment in the Flyers and Bristol Bears shows this. Actions speak louder than words.

Without sounding too much like Kieran Maguire's fanboy I do agree with his statement on football owners. 'There's four reasons to buy a football club, profit, love, vanity and insanity' I think its love in Lansdowns case and I think every prospective owner of a football club must be a little insane to do it in the first place. Its the most expensive passion project to get into or expect to see return on investment.

More importantly if we do sell, what is the reason the new owners are buying us would be my question. Fans always want success and we've fallen short of reaching the promise land so far but I'd rather that with an owner who I believe has honest intentions than a dodgy owner.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

If we do sell I don't think that's the most important question. I obviously don't know Steve's mindset when selling but I think he's bankrolled us due his affinity for the club and Bristol. His further investment in the Flyers and Bristol Bears shows this. Actions speak louder than words.

Without sounding too much like Kieran Maguire's fanboy I do agree with his statement on football owners. 'There's four reasons to buy a football club, profit, love, vanity and insanity' I think its love in Lansdowns case and I think every prospective owner of a football club must be a little insane to do it in the first place. Its the most expensive passion project to get into or expect to see return on investment.

More importantly if we do sell, what is the reason the new owners are buying us would be my question. Fans always want success and we've fallen short of reaching the promise land so far but I'd rather that with an owner who I believe has honest intentions than a dodgy owner.

I think there is some vanity as well. After all he has spoken of leaving a legacy for people to remember him by. Nothing wrong with that, as we've benefited from this legacy that he will pass on. He could have put all his money into other interests instead. Like his Botswana safari/ conservation interests. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I think there is some vanity as well. After all he has spoken of leaving a legacy for people to remember him by. Nothing wrong with that, as we've benefited from this legacy that he will pass on. He could have put all his money into other interests instead. Like his Botswana safari/ conservation interests. 

That is probably true to some extent. I don't even mind the thought of a new owner looking for a profit. As long as the intentions are right and their not reckless in the way they do it. The only issue is that's very hard to accomplish in the world of football these days.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

There is certainly vanity there.  He’s named a stand after himself.  I’ve no problem with that by the way but he is putting himself alongside Atyeo and Dolman in doing so.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

Has it been a good ROI in your view?

For the club or SL?

If its the former, of course. We have a brilliant stadium and training facilities and he's sustained us at a loss like most clubs week in week out. Could better decisions have been made i.e not recruiting MA definitely.

For SL, if your talking money. Definitely not.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

For the club or SL?

If its the former, of course. We have a brilliant stadium and training facilities and he's sustained us at a loss like most clubs week in week out. Could better decisions have been made i.e not recruiting MA definitely.

For SL, if your talking money. Definitely not.

Obviously for the club it's great as it's someone else's money. From Lansdown's point of view he must be disappointed with us going from a mid table championship side, to a league one side, back to a mid table side whilst spending nearly a quarter of a billion pounds under his ownership. I don't like the "sustained a loss" argument because he's propping up his own asset and has overseen us being a loss-making outfit. This of course aligns with most other football clubs but to my view that is the bare minimum requirement of a football club owner - not letting their club go bust. Some owners have failed but the vast majority manage to keep their clubs above water.

My point is that the viewpoint that a change of ownership wouldn't be a terrible idea is seen as sacrilege to some people. I don't understand that, there have been a lot of achievements under Lansdown but in my view there have been just as many, if not more, failures. Hence me asking if people considered a quarter of a billion pounds for little long term progress on the pitch was a good ROI. Infrastructure-wise we've come a long way, I wonder if that will be Lansdown's legacy which allows new ownership to push the footballing side of things onwards.

10 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

My concern is whether his heart is still in it. 

There is that, and i think the feeling that he probably knows he has taken us as far as he can. Considering his age, and probably knowing he will have to dig into his pockets again.

If you look at the losses each club made in the championship per week - its not exactly an attractive proposition. This is from the post link, no idea of its accuracy

Championship operational losses 2021/22 (per week)

Fulham - £1.3m

Bournemouth - £1.1m

Nottingham Forest - £981,000

Birmingham City - £577,000

Stoke City - £548,000

Bristol City - £532,000

Reading - £487,000

QPR - £468,000

Cardiff - £463,000

Preston - £450,000

Blackburn Rovers - £418,000

Middlesbrough - £410,000

Milwall - £240,000

West Brom - £227,000

Hull City - £151,000

Luton - £144,000

Barnsley - £122,000

Coventry - £110,000

Blackpool - £75,000

32 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

When I think back to the facilities we used to have (stadium and training ground) and how the academy has come on, I've got no complaints. My concern is whether his heart is still in it. 

Allegedly his heart is back in it…he can see progress and PL a real chance going forward.

20 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

There is that, and i think the feeling that he probably knows he has taken us as far as he can. Considering his age, and probably knowing he will have to dig into his pockets again.

If you look at the losses each club made in the championship per week - its not exactly an attractive proposition. This is from the post link, no idea of its accuracy

Championship operational losses 2021/22 (per week)

Fulham - £1.3m

Bournemouth - £1.1m

Nottingham Forest - £981,000

Birmingham City - £577,000

Stoke City - £548,000

Bristol City - £532,000

Reading - £487,000

QPR - £468,000

Cardiff - £463,000

Preston - £450,000

Blackburn Rovers - £418,000

Middlesbrough - £410,000

Milwall - £240,000

West Brom - £227,000

Hull City - £151,000

Luton - £144,000

Barnsley - £122,000

Coventry - £110,000

Blackpool - £75,000

? accurate, it’s from each clubs’ annual accounts.

Caveat: some clubs will include certain txns in different places in their accounts, so you£ need to delve deeper, but for all intense and purpose it’s accurate.

Things like Transfer Profit reduce losses, and not included here.

• Like 3

Cash flow and this sort of overlap too.

I believe Stoke posted a Cash Loss laat sesson of some £39m. Now they had healthy Cash Reserves of £90-100m thanks in large part to loans and the Stadium and Training Ground sale and Leaseback but just let it sink in 

£39m in Cash Losses for finishing midtable in the Championship.

Without owner input of some kind, most Championship clubs are basically insolvent. Can vary by the year, both collectively and individually but the Cash Flow Section is quite important.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous