IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview Today

Red Army 75

A phased introduction would ease some of the nerves I'd have over SL going. He's far from perfect and made plenty of mistakes over two decades but in the grand scheme of things the way he is allows us to take for granted having someone who will back the club to the hilt financially, always have its bests interest at heart and isn't about to unleash some skeletons from his closet.

There's been enough examples of that not happening around the EFL/PL in recent years to be very clear that the grass isn't always greener.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Love what SL has done for the club, but he’s a very shrewd businessman, I doubt he’d be revealing anything ground breaking during a live interview. He’d prefer to control the narrative via official statements.

I imagine we’ll get a pretty standard “it’s been a pleasing season with a mixed bag on the pitch with plenty of green shoots of progress thanks to the hard work of NP and the coaching and playing staff, and significant progress in FFP off the pitch. Hoping to kick on and move up the table next season, etc”

Are SL in disguise?

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I know that's light hearted but John's a genuine guy making a genuine offer.

I know that if I asked for one then he would send it and wouldn't even ask for the postage.

It's tremendously unselfish.

I completely agree, I wouldn't want it to come across as taking the piss, it was a smart arse comment I know but I am genuinely interested in how many people take him up on the offer.

Pretty sure he’s been keen on Mark Robins for many a year. His comment that he was persuaded by LJ to give him the managers job, was I suspect a reference to a regret not having given it to Robins. 

There was a similar indirect comment of regret post-Holden... although, again, not specific to Robins. 

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

Did he really praise Mark Robins, then be bittersweet about Nige? 

Lansdown says some odd things in interviews and I never know if it's calculated or clumsy.

He was just saying about Millwall and Coventry in the playoffs two others he mentioned  and robins has done it on a show string budget.. Far from bitter sweet about nige saying he's helped get the club in a better place healthy relationship don't agree on everything which is good developed the youth etc etc didnt sound bitter to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Street red said:

He was just saying about Millwall and Coventry in the playoffs two others he mentioned  and robins has done it on a show string budget.. Far from bitter sweet about nige saying he's helped get the club in a better place healthy relationship don't agree on everything which is good developed the youth etc etc didnt sound bitter to me.

He praised Nige and Tinnion for their work on helping create the pathway from academy to first team.

He was pretty clear that he wasn't happy with league position though. He clearly thinks we should be performing at least as well as the likes of Cov and Millwall, if not better.

And that's fair comment, frankly.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He praised Nige and Tinnion for their work on helping create the pathway from academy to first team.

He was pretty clear that he wasn't happy with league position though. He clearly thinks we should be performing at least as well as the likes of Cov and Millwall, if not better.

Haven't been happy with decisions he's made over the years but he came across ok but a better position in the league I'm not so sure we've had to make alot of changes let things develop ,Bringing on academy players is never easy especially getting consistent performances, Hopefully now we can push on and get the position he's looking for next season especially with higher wage earners coming to an end one thing he let happen.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"He who blames others has a long way to go on his journey. He who blames himself is halfway there. At the end of the day."

Ancient Chinese Adverb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Wouldn't it be interesting to hear his response to this very obvious point?

Not that he would reply but it seems to say something about his judgement that he saw eye to eye with Ashton but not always with Nigel.

He should be grateful to Nigel (and Richard Gould) for digging him out of the hole he dug for himself.

I'm not sure he remotely sees it like that at all but this is the same bloke who told us we were being awfully harsh on Swiss (there's none so blind as them that WON'T see).......................it might even be that someone comes in after Nige in a similar way it happened at Leicester and they take us to the next level, wouldn't surprise me at all. Even if that does happen I think he's done a fantastic job (with Gould as you rightly say) in stabilising what was a complete and utter mess left for him to sort out both on the financial side and on the pitch and I think Steve is very lucky that finally a piece of shit he threw at the wall stuck because if he had got this last appointment wrong we would be down fighting with the Few for the position of Bristol's lower league top dog, no doubt about it in my view.

In some ways I would imagine that Nige is relieved that he can finally be fairly judged on high expectations rather than having someone in the background whining that "Luton did it and Millwall did it" when he's putting out players with less than twenty league games under their belts every week and trying like **** with his coaches to get them to do a job because said person literally allowed the club to be run into the ground FFFP wise. People have short memories - we got a bit out muscled and outplayed today for the first hour of the game - go back eighteen months or so and that was a weekly occurrence against everyone we played, not just the runaway winners of the division.

• Like 12
  • Flames 4

33 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Wouldn't it be interesting to hear his response to this very obvious point?

Not that he would reply but it seems to say something about his judgement that he saw eye to eye with Ashton but not always with Nigel.

He should be grateful to Nigel (and Richard Gould) for digging him out of the hole he dug for himself.

Paraphrased - I don’t get why the fans are critical of Mark he does a good job at the EFL.

Perhaps he should’ve looked at the job he did here!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Pretty sure he’s been keen on Mark Robins for many a year. His comment that he was persuaded by LJ to give him the managers job, was I suspect a reference to a regret not having given it to Robins. 

There was a similar indirect comment of regret post-Holden... although, again, not specific to Robins. 

Robins was in the final 2 with Mcinnes - was talked into the latter.

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think Steve is glossing over his own part in creating a mess that took an experienced Manager in Pearson and an experienced Administrator in Richard Gould a lot of hard work and probably sleepless nights to sort out. Had Steve said "we got ourselves in a bit of a mess but we've now stabilised the situation and the expectation FROM NOW is to get up the league competing with the likes of Millwall, Luton and Coventry" I could very easily take that on board.

This season we had to sell Semenyo which, before the possible points deduction we would probably have taken if we didn't, might have got us quite a few of those 12-15 extra points we needed? We also had to get Bentley off the wage bill and we've also had another pretty shite year with injuries.

I think the expectation does rise next year, it simply has to at some point, but it seems like our owner had unrealistic expectations this season to be honest which, when balancing out his football decisions over his tenure of the club, doesn't surprise me one bit.

Glad you mentioned Semenyo.  There us definitely a question to ask - might we have finished higher had we kept him?  He was in good form when he was sold.

But a bit of FFP and a bit of allow us to be proactive this summer was the sacrifice in losing him in January.

The football side has made a lot of sacrifices and although just one point better off than last season, we enter the summer in a hugely better position than we entered last summer.  A different type of progress.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Paraphrased - I don’t get why the fans are critical of Mark he does a good job at the EFL.

Perhaps he should’ve looked at the job he did here!

SL seems to blame the pandemic for the financial situation we were in rather than profligate spending under Ashton and Johnson.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It is and I think any other season would most likely be the case but both Millwall and Coventry have outperformed themselves this season. If anything it should give us hope. 

Luton are the club I’m most disappointed with being so far behind in terms of where we are. Based on last season they have not over performed, more so they now give themselves a decent shot of the playoffs on a nothing budget.

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

More fool SL then the LJ appointment was a scandal 

• Like 9