IGNORED

This Summer is massive.

Fuber

If, and likely, we sell Scott.

Positional requirements all over the pitch, lack of depth abound

Loads of wages being/already cut between the likes of Bakes, Kalas, Massengo, Taylor Moore, Bentley, Martin, DaSilva, among others within the academy.

Decisions to be made on Vyner, Williams (both 12 months left); don't think we'll offer Andi nor James new terms.

Need early business sorted. This is going to a big one me thinks, not just for us but many clubs are cutting costs. Need to nail the recruitment, get settled and ready for the pre-season and kick on for next season early doors.

Is there a position we arguably don't need cover in? Right Back possibly with Wilson fit for next season alongside Tanner, but aside from that...

What are peoples thoughts? - Personally equal parts anxious and excited for what the window will bring.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

Assuming we sell Scott, and Dasilva and Kalas make contract exits (all fair assumptions) - we need to be looking at CB and LB as a top priority, but RB and CM also need attention. 

If options arise then we can look at Keepers and Forwards but these are less urgent. Front line is stocked ok, Bell/Mehmeti for the left, Conway/Wells for central and Cornick/Sykes for the right. Max has been performing at top half Championship level on most metrics (saw a few weeks back).

12 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Assuming we sell Scott, and Dasilva and Kalas make contract exits (all fair assumptions) - we need to be looking at CB and LB as a top priority, but RB and CM also need attention. 

If options arise then we can look at Keepers and Forwards but these are less urgent. Front line is stocked ok, Bell/Mehmeti for the left, Conway/Wells for central and Cornick/Sykes for the right. Max has been performing at top half Championship level on most metrics (saw a few weeks back).

Disagree on the keeper situation. I think we need Max competing against a realistic alternative. He's been "given" half a season by Pearson to show what he can do - a totally sensible scenario given we had to get Bentley off the wage bill - but free handouts for the Goalkeeping position should end next Monday. Our biggest weakness is individual mistakes in the defensive third of the pitch and competition needs to be fiercer at that end of the pitch imo including between the sticks. You can't have 20 players fighting for 10 spots and the Goalkeeper in the comfy club. Nige definitely alluded to defensive weakness on Saturday, which always becomes apparent when you are up against a bit of quality, and that is an area he will look to sort out as a priority in my view.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

Just now, bcfc01 said:

I said in another thread somewhere that people seem to have forgotten Benarous.

With the potential he has, he could fill Scotts boots.

His injuries have been one of the biggest disappointments for me this season. I was hoping that he’d step up and challenge Scott . 
Let’s hope he comes back as good as new and we can start to see him fulfill his potential. 

• Like 1

Think we need some relatively dull, but important additions. Aka solid Championship, oven ready, aged 25 to 30-ish. Given the costs of top notch game changers, think the route to a great attacking midfielder or 20+ a season goal scorer needs be from the academy, lower leagues or Prem loans (I’m sceptical of the latter, given costs and costs of replacing once they’ve gone).

But if we’re going for it next season (sensible going for it, not ruin the future going for it) then we need players who can hit the ground running from day 1 and lower league transfers tend to need time to get up to speed/fitness and academy is a big leap, with obvious exceptions. So 2 or 3 decent, but won’t be extraordinary - why would they come to us, Championship players feels like sensible use of a chunk of the AS money (assuming it happens). Goalkeeper, defence and central midfield would be my priority areas to add depth… so basically everything apart from attack, where hope our existing players can be coached to be a bit more effective. Concede 5 fewer and score 5 more and we could be there or thereabouts. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Don’t think the two will ever be comparable.

Scott is/was a once in a generation player for us, better than any player at his age any of us would have seen wearing the shirt.

Benarous has had two horrific injuries, I wish him well, but a comeback to playing would be fantastic and if he’s half the player Scott is he be doing well.

As to the rest we definitely need an experienced keeper to genuinely challenge Max.

A new LB / LWB, there is a lad at Fulham who is OOC and would fit the bill.

A CB if Kalas isn’t given a new contract, and a defensive midfield player to challenge Williams and James.

Another attacking midfielder to take Scott’s place in the squad.

A new contract for King who can continue his mentoring on and off the pitch.

NP has said that he wants Championship ready players, I would add a loan Premiership young midfielder to that list.

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Sounds like we will have Bryan and McCrorie coming in, so that's LB and CB/CDM covered. 

I anticipate we'll probably pick up Currie too, with first team opportunities limited for him in year one (like Tanner). 

I'd like to see a giant centre back come in as I still feel we are susceptible at defensive set pieces and very poor from attacking ones.

And finally a central midfielder, who that is I haven't a clue. A 2023 Marvin Elliot would be nice ?

Depending on the view of Bajic a back up keeper is probably needed. The emergency loan system makes that less of a priority unless we need to bed someone in. 

After that, I'd look at how we go between season start and deadline day and see if we need anything to be supplemented in the loan market. 

I also think it would be prudent to hold some budget back for January. That way we can plug any gaps caused by injuries or if things have gone really well, add some fresh impetus for a playoff push.

Jake O’Brien can be that tall centre back. Intrigued to see if we sign a striker. The Bryan signing is interesting if it happens.  Will he be bought to play in the same XI as Pring or will they compete against each other?  Intriguing.  One of the best games I saw Bryan play was centre midfield but can’t imagine he will be played there 

58 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Disagree on the keeper situation. I think we need Max competing against a realistic alternative. He's been "given" half a season by Pearson to show what he can do - a totally sensible scenario given we had to get Bentley off the wage bill - but free handouts for the Goalkeeping position should end next Monday. Our biggest weakness is individual mistakes in the defensive third of the pitch and competition needs to be fiercer at that end of the pitch imo including between the sticks. You can't have 20 players fighting for 10 spots and the Goalkeeper in the comfy club. Nige definitely alluded to defensive weakness on Saturday, which always becomes apparent when you are up against a bit of quality, and that is an area he will look to sort out as a priority in my view.

Totally agree regarding not having 20 players and a ‘comfy’ culture, that’s why I spoke of needing players in at CB/RB/LB/CM and new players up top and in net if superior options are available. But I definitely don’t think GK will be a priority in our summer recruitment, it’s not nearly as urgent as 3 or 4 other positions.

8 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

I know we have a lot of strikers but I wonder if we could sign Ashley Barnes for a season a big strong number 9 and a fairly local lad 

Funny you should mention him, a Burnley mate reckons he’s not gonna cut it for them in the Prem but believes he’s still class at this level and would be exactly what we’re looking for. Ex Paulton Rovers.

Unlikely to fit the wage and age structure though I’d imagine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Don’t think the two will ever be comparable.

Scott is/was a once in a generation player for us, better than any player at his age any of us would have seen wearing the shirt.

Benarous has had two horrific injuries, I wish him well, but a comeback to playing would be fantastic and if he’s half the player Scott is he be doing well.

The little I saw of Benarous, I very much liked.

He has enormous potential.

The two ACL injuries couldn't have come at a worse time for him and City and it may be that his potential has been limited similar to Christian Ribeiro, never the same player after his injury and retired early.

I don't know when he is due back, but if he can regain form and realise potential, he will be a big asset imo.

• Like 1

Just now, bcfc01 said:

The little I saw of Benarous, I very much liked.

He has enormous potential.

The two ACL injuries couldn't have come at a worse time for him and City and it may be that his potential has been limited similar to Christian Ribeiro, never the same player after his injury and retired early.

I don't know when he is due back, but if he can regain form and realise potential, he will be a big asset imo.

Cue he has a poor game in his second game back and there’s an OTIB thread saying he’s not good enough. 

• Thanks 1

I am thinking two centre backs if Kalas goes, 1 if he doesn't.

Remember in the last 12 months we have lost Baker and Klose and maybe Kalas too. Yes I know Naismith and others can fill in but given our record with injuries...

GK either to complete, cover or with a goal of taking the Number 1. Competition is healthy and drives standards.

LB if DaSilva goes.

One, maybe two CM- plausible that Scott, King, Massengo will all have gone- or King may be move to coaching.

In summary:

GK

CB- 2 if Kalas goes

LB- If Currie coming in, that makes DaSilva surplus.

CM- 1 and if Scott and or King go, 2.

Addition of Bryan would be excellent.

Possibly if Wilson goes, he's barely had a chance an RB/RWB too.

29 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

I know we have a lot of strikers but I wonder if we could sign Ashley Barnes for a season a big strong number 9 and a fairly local lad 

Did you actually watch him when he came on as sub, Saturday. He looked pounds overweight, struggled to get around and looked just to kick or push opponents. He looked well past it to me.

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

He could well be, or there might be more choice this summer. Either way it's something I'd like to see. Height has long been an issue for us.

I can't see us signing a forward, Wells and Conway are both more than good enough to lead the line if we are to continue with one centre forward and Bell, Cornick, Weimann and SPH should be enough cover. 

Maybe if there is a plan to use 352 or 41212 as an alternative system there is scope for one more, but it isn't going to be someone like Barnes who would expect games and expect a pretty massive wage. A prospect from the lower leagues perhaps, but I can't see it. 

Conway is gonna score 20 next season anyway. 

It depends what we want as to if Wells is good enough or not I would say.  He’s had an okay season but the difference between him and Conway is quite stark.  If we are happy with 10-11th then Wells is fine.  

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Spot on. I know I will be told but I do not see what he has ever done to earn the number 1 spot. Apart from being the cheap option. We need competition and quality in goal.

• Like 1

This closed-season will be the first where NP is not clearing out loads of players and it presents an opportunity to strengthen in key areas. My hope is we can secure our targets early on and everyone can have a really good pre-season. NP has recently said, ‘The bottom line is this, the culture that the players are very much part of creating is about having really healthy competition, relative fairness, I can't say football is always going to be fair because it's not, there's always going to be grumpy players somewhere but I want healthy competition in the club but I want us to aim high.’ When looking at what he has done it really does align with his bottom line approach.

He has consistently said he likes to get deals sorted early and we’ve already been given a strong indication of who, if possible, we hope to recruit.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread we will likely get ‘dull’ signings e.g. players we know little about. I’m happy with that based on the additions of Sykes, Mehmeti, Atkinson, Tanner and (hopefully) Wilson and Cornick (once they are fully fit) all were unknown to me but they all look capable and have potential to develop/improve.

In NP and his team I trust.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Personally I'm discounting him (currently) until he can prove fitness - double ACL (initial and recurrence) are very worrying given his age. Its giving me Christian Ribeiro Knee/Hamstring vibes, hopefully he can prove myself (and others) with concerns over his fitness completely wrong and have breakthrough similar to Conway this season.

Until that time - any minutes next season injury free are a positive - I'm definitely not putting him into the "Possible Scott Replacement" Bracket anytime soon. Lets see him get through A pre-season and full recovery period first. No point overestimating any potential he may or may not have until he can prove fitness. Its the same reason I'm discounting Williams having an impact much next season - I could arguably see him being offloaded for the same reason we're not renewing Kalas' deal.

All a matter of opinion of course - just my two cents.

• Like 2

I agree about benarous, but I think if he were to come back and get minutes next seasons he’s a lot closer to OTC then he is to Alex. Thought he had a good time during his brief stint in the team but that was what 18 months ago. A lot of time having not played. 

Currently - outside of younger academy players (Taylor-Clarke, Low, etc), with assumptions on the exit of Kalas, DaSilva, among others - it looks like the below currently.

Assuming Scott is sold:

image.png.b3ce163c0fd20cbfb9b7b8f5d7cc384f.png

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, redsocks said:

New gk,ch,mf,forward.got some good players to come back.

New gk

Tanner  Atkinson New ch pring

Sykes Williams New mid f joe Bryan?

Tommy Conway New forward

Subs ???????

That may leave us open in midfield tbh, 2 up front, 4-4-2...especially in the more conventional sense with 2 full backs and 2 wider players.

Where's Naismith in that? Mehmeti benched or? Weimann, Wells, Bell all out of the side. Are we suddenly switching to 4-4-2?

Is Vyner benched or out entirely. O'Leary to the bench presumably.

Oh one more thing, pretty sure Atkinson maybe sadly out until November.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I'm quite ok with a back 5 of O'Leary, Tanner, Vyner, Atkinson and Pring. Atkinson might be out for the start of the season so we need someone who can play, but generally I think any signings for the back 5 need to be about competition and cover so perfectly ok to go cheap and young there in my opinion. Personally I'd try hard to get Kalas to agree terms, but if he won't then he won't. I don't see a need for a like-for-like replacement and would instead spend his wages on two young CBs.

Midfield will be about replacing Scott and building for a future without King and James. Williams needs cover as well, and Benarous is a bit unknown. So we definitely need a midfielder or two, preferably someone who can be a 40 game guy, but there's some wiggle room there. Possibly Bryan plus A N Other.

Out wide I think we're sorted on the left, especially if Bryan joins as he, Bell, Mehmeti and Pring can cover and provide quite a bit of flexibility there. The right is less sorted so I'd be happy to see a right sided winger/attacking full back signed to provide some option there.

Up front I think we're ok. Conway to lead supported by Cornick, Wells and Weimann is fine, and could be great if we sign the right midfielders to supply them better than has been done this season.

So for me the priority is first XI ready players at CM and RW, then some cover/competition/development at CB and GK. Anything beyond that feels luxurious tbh.

4 or 5 to come in I think.

Edited by ExiledAjax