IGNORED

Wrexham

DaveInSA

3 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I find all the attention their getting a bit like vomit inducing. I can't remember who went up from the national league last year - there was literally zero publicity.

And now we have a Hollywood star owning a football club suddenly it's everywhere, Wrexham this, Wrexham that, Wrexham the other. It's a fairytale and aren't they great blah, blah, blah.

So is it good, bad or indifferent?

Discuss.

Indifferent for me but I haven’t watched the series. Fair play to the long suffering fans of which there will be many, but football is no longer just a sport - it’s an ‘event’ and this is the latest in a line of examples of football being trendified for the less initiated / involved. Let them have their 15 mins - I’ll be very surprised if they get any further than League 1. 

36 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I find all the attention their getting a bit like vomit inducing. I can't remember who went up from the national league last year - there was literally zero publicity.

And now we have a Hollywood star owning a football club suddenly it's everywhere, Wrexham this, Wrexham that, Wrexham the other. It's a fairytale and aren't they great blah, blah, blah.

Discuss.

Grimsby......No one makes you read it or listen to it.

Pretty good story for a run down town. Expect they will go up again next year.

Edited by Sir Geoff
bolded text
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Discuss.

They should follow Cardiff and Swansea and play in their own countries league. Welsh *****.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

They often got sub 2000 crowds in the 80s. 35000 watching their parade, apparently.

They were getting around 5 - 6k before the mew owners took over. Bit of a random club for a project because I'm not sure how big their potential can be?

If i was looking to invest and bring a team up through the leagues, I would look at teams like Carlisle, Bradford, Southend etc.

• Like 2

to be honest I like the story. When I first heard of the interest from the McReynolds company I thought it was just a publicity stunt but you can't deny that they have come through with not just the football club but the community as well

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

They were getting around 5 - 6k before the mew owners took over. Bit of a random club for a project because I'm not sure how big their potential can be?

If i was looking to invest and bring a team up through the leagues, I would look at teams like Carlisle, Bradford, Southend etc.

I guess theoretically they draw on support throughout North Wales, though its coastal towns seem to be full of exiled Scousers. Probably more Liverpool and Everton support there than Wrexham. 

• Confused 1

• Admin
21 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Discuss.

I'm with you on this subject

I am sick and tired of the crazy coverage they are getting, BBC breaking news last night !! Division 5 Champions FFS!!

With the amount of money they chucked at the team the title was pretty much nailed on

The ONE thing I would say is that it has done wonders for the area, but how many are there trying to get on a Netflix show etc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I am sick and tired of the crazy coverage they are getting, BBC breaking news last night !! Division 5 Champions FFS!!

With the amount of money they chucked at the team the title was pretty much nailed on

The ONE thing I would say is that it has done wonders for the area, but how many are there trying to get on a Netflix show etc

In fairness Notts County spent a lot of money which is why both were miles ahead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

I really enjoyed the Salford one tbf and i think the documentary on QPR 4 year plan , where we featured with the last min Caulker goal at Loftus Road! 

Edited by Kodjias Wrist

As someone who loathes celebrity culture with an absolute passion I agree with the OP.

This is all about the owners and not about sport.

Good for the club and supporters right now but is it sustainable?

The news media rams celebrities down our throats at every opportunity. I am tired of being TOLD who is a star. That is for us to decide, not the PR for the person involved.

The stars should be the footballers, coaches and physios whilst the owners should sit quietly in the background.

• Like 5

You get these wise arses saying don't watch or listen then. The point being you can't NOT see it.    

Watching Breakfast BBC this morning yet another 10 minuet  item on them ! This is ****** non-league for gawds sake............... most of the time you'd have a hard job to know who got promoted from the Championship on BBC !

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

Yep .......completely revitalising an economically downtrodden city, drawing attention worldwide to the National league, benefitting the resurgence of the Welsh language, increasing tourism to an area of Great Britain that has been neglected, and making thousands of people happy................I mean what is there to like?  Pheckin Hollywood?

• Like 8

Absolutely nauseating.

The fact that they’re Welsh & the BBC has to find something for the disproportionate number of journalists they have to report on is definitely a factor, but the blanket coverage is farcical.

Plenty of Championship sides doing very well like Coventry & Luton are getting a small fraction of the airtime they are.

Shame that the number of Welsh sides in the league has returned to 4, be far happier myself if it was zero & they played in their own little league.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 9

50 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Discuss.

Good................Possibly the fact that extremely questionable,  politically corrupt Nations like........... Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the UAE are infiltrating the Premier League with their insidious billions ..is somehow of far more concern to me, than a couple of well meaning millionaires revitalising  a British city?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

This is all about the owners and not about sport.

The stars should be the footballers, coaches and physios whilst the owners should sit quietly in the background.

You should try watching Welcome to Wrexham, which puts the people of Wrexham and everyone involved in the football club very much front and centre. 

The Wrexham story is going to keep running, so might as well get used to it.

FWIW I strongly suspect they'll be in the Championship within 2-3 years.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely nauseating.

The fact that they’re Welsh & the BBC has to find something for the disproportionate number of journalists they have to report on is definitely a factor, but the blanket coverage is farcical.

Plenty of Championship sides doing very well like Coventry & Luton are getting a small fraction of the airtime they are.

Shame that the number of Welsh sides in the league has returned to 4, be far happier myself if it was zero & they played in their own little league.

But Coventry and Luton are at the top of the Championship, with all the attendant economical benefits that will bring..........before those two disreputable no good Hollywood stars turned up...Wrexham were on their last legs at the bottom of the National League, and nearing bankruptcy?   Did you consider that?  Sorry to say it.........but you seem a very bitter shortsighted individual?

Edited by maxjak
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You should try watching Welcome to Wrexham, which puts the people of Wrexham and everyone involved in the football club very much front and centre. 

The Wrexham story is going to keep running, so might as well get used to it.

FWIW I strongly suspect they'll be in the Championship within 2-3 years.

That's fine, my criticism is of the media representation, not the owners and club specifically.

• Like 5

It's funny how you can take against a club. I've never liked Wrexham since they knocked us out of both cups in the 1977-78 season. They were two leagues below us. We played out an amazing 4-4 draw at home in the FA Cup. 2-0 up, 4-2 down, 4-4. Thumped in the replay.

I wonder what people will be thinking if/when they're beating us in the Championship in three years' time. See Luton. 

• Like 1

I work with a born and bred Wrexham fan here in Slough. ST holder who’s been going for years.

He made a point that Ryan and Rob have bought normality in Wrexham. They’re both looking at owning houses in the area and are treated as locals when they’re in the town. Yes, everyone knows who they are, but what they’ve done for the community and the way they’ve integrated has been special.

I still wanted Notts County to beat though.