IGNORED

Wrexham

DaveInSA

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They're already doing more "hits" than most Premier League clubs, let alone the likes of us. So the coverage is going to continue at a pace, I'm afraid! 

That'll all change when Lansdown reveals the foreign investors he is in talks with are George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp...  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I mean, its a show and its money, but don't mind it really. Less nauseating than the titles bought at the very top of the game. Owners at least having the appearance of buying in to the idea of it and not just all for show.

Taps in to some warmth about grass roots football and 'how football used to be' a bit. A media love in for sure, but at least its not Manchester, Liverpool, London for once. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep .......completely revitalising an economically downtrodden city, drawing attention worldwide to the National league, benefitting the resurgence of the Welsh language, increasing tourism to an area of Great Britain that has been neglected, and making thousands of people happy................I mean what is there to like?  Pheckin Hollywood?

Is Wrexham really that downtrodden and neglected? I think there are many places worse off in that area within say a one hours drive. The reason I say this is because I suspect this is a myth being exaggerated by the creators of the show to make the story more marketable to the american audience (and people believe it). I agree they have created a real buzz around the town and I suspect the bbc and others are pushing this story so much because they want to see how far it can go and if it can result in actual benefits to that area (but also the owners deserve a lot of credit here too), however a lot of this 'revitalising' is just hype at the moment and may not last for long/result in the gains hoped for in tourism/economy.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

You get these wise arses saying don't watch or listen then. The point being you can't NOT see it.    

Watching Breakfast BBC this morning yet another 10 minuet  item on them ! This is ****** non-league for gawds sake............... most of the time you'd have a hard job to know who got promoted from the Championship on BBC !

On / off button broken ?  No one made you watch it. And that's not being a wiseass.

• Haha 1

Life’s not fair is it? Wrexham get a lot of publicity because they’ve got a couple of Hollywood chaps involved, but we had Stoney Garnet and Baldrick and  it didn’t make the national news at all 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was very cynical as the Beeb were giving them so much lovein but I actually watched a few of the series and you can see they are in it for a few good reasons as well as a vanity project. The fact they didn't quit after the first two failed years was a surprise to me as apparently they had 10 clubs under consideration before they picked Wrexham. Notts County have also spent well above their means (they've got away with it as Financial reporting doesn't have to be very sophisticated in the National League) so its not quite as black and white as some people like to make out in terms of player investment and thus why both were miles clear.

It must be spreading as a retired NFL player and his wife are now investing in Burnley (apparently a lovely place!!!) https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/11095/12870907/burnley-fc-nfl-star-jj-watt-and-wife-kealia-announce-investment-in-the-clarets

4 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

It will be interesting to see how they get on with FFP rules in the league. What is it, a limit of % of income can be spent on salaries?

Take your point but the income from streams has rocketed this year (as has a lot of their sponsorship income tbf) and I'm sure that things will ramp up again next season, particularly if things go well on the pitch. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the series and it gave me a bit of interest in the National League , I watched a few games and was pleasantly surprised at how good the standard was . Deprived area and something for the locals to be happy about . Love a bit of joy !!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Good................Possibly the fact that extremely questionable,  politically corrupt Nations like........... Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the UAE are infiltrating the Premier League with their insidious billions ..is somehow of far more concern to me, than a couple of well meaning millionaires revitalising  a British city?

yep - I rate this is a bigger issue by far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shelts said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the series and it gave me a bit of interest in the National League , I watched a few games and was pleasantly surprised at how good the standard was . Deprived area and something for the locals to be happy about . Love a bit of joy !!

What the **** do you come here for then!?

3 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Is Wrexham really that downtrodden and neglected? I think there are many places worse off in that area within say a one hours drive. The reason I say this is because I suspect this is a myth being exaggerated by the creators of the show to make the story more marketable to the american audience (and people believe it). I agree they have created a real buzz around the town and I suspect the bbc and others are pushing this story so much because they want to see how far it can go and if it can result in actual benefits to that area (but also the owners deserve a lot of credit here too), however a lot of this 'revitalising' is just hype at the moment and may not last for long/result in the gains hoped for in tourism/economy.

Yawn ?

4 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

I find all the attention their getting a bit like vomit inducing. I can't remember who went up from the national league last year - there was literally zero publicity.

And now we have a Hollywood star owning a football club suddenly it's everywhere, Wrexham this, Wrexham that, Wrexham the other. It's a fairytale and aren't they great blah, blah, blah.

So is it good, bad or indifferent?

Discuss.

May i ask.....Re: your username....do u live in South Africa?

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

But Coventry and Luton are at the top of the Championship, with all the attendant economical benefits that will bring..........before those two disreputable no good Hollywood stars turned up...Wrexham were on their last legs at the bottom of the National League, and nearing bankruptcy?   Did you consider that?  Sorry to say it.........but you seem a very bitter shortsighted individual?

Edited by maxjak