IGNORED

Growing fan base

Topper 123

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Tbh as a neutral with a nostalgia for the old football experience I'd be down the Rovers for the old style ground and general air of being ramshackle. That's how I like my football.

I'm not however a neutral when it comes to Bristol football.

I think i would weigh up the costs if im honest. And if i had to move to say london, i would look at going to Leyton Orient due to EFL matchday experience and to get away from the overhyped prem.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I think i would weigh up the costs if im honest. And if i had to move to say london, i would look at going to Leyton Orient due to EFL matchday experience and to get away from the overhyped prem.

Fulham for me , nice part of London , decent ground and some rather decent ( but expensive boozers )

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, redkev said:

Fulham for me , nice part of London , decent ground and some rather decent ( but expensive boozers )

Seen their prices for the new stand next season? Obscenely expensive.

If I lived in London, I'd head for Bermondsey I think. Luckily, I don't live in London but did try it years ago and hated it.

28 minutes ago, redkev said:

Traffic-clogged and too many investment bankers for me.

I visited the new Plough Lane last year to see the Real Dons. Compact and bijou, as they say, but still modern with safe standing areas and as ever, a great family atmosphere.   Just 15 minutes trot from the mainline/District Line station, and there are plenty of boozers in Wimbledon proper.  The stadium itself is in the badlands on the verges of Tooting, so best not linger.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Seen their prices for the new stand next season? Obscenely expensive.

If I lived in London, I'd head for Bermondsey I think. Luckily, I don't live in London but did try it years ago and hated it.

I’m loaded ????

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, redkev said:

Having been to most grounds in London I picked Fulham to go and watch though this was back when they were in Div 4, shortly before Al Fayed took over, and I watched them mostly in Div 3 with a season ticket bought for the princely sum of £160. I was still travelling to City games once a month or so but that season ticket was so cheap that I couldn't say no.

My primary reason for picking Fulham, cheap tickets being second in line, was that I could stand on a terrace again. The home terrace behind the goal was huge, rarely crowded, and, unlike the away terrace at the other end, had a roof on it.

Plus you had a great view of the tidal Thames, the sea birds flying up, the barges where people lived, and on winter afternoons the river turning orange from the sunset.

I haven't been back since they rebuilt the ground to an all seater for the Premiership, I'd rather have the memories.

• Like 3

Sunday Times report that there were 31,000 in Ashton Gate “the division’s best stadium” for the Bristol Gloucester rugby fixture yesterday. How many seats are there in the stadium? 25,713 were at the sold out Man City FA Cup tie. There was some segregation but I don’t recall 5,300 unused seats.

6 minutes ago, sugarwray said:

Sunday Times report that there were 31,000 in Ashton Gate “the division’s best stadium” for the Bristol Gloucester rugby fixture yesterday. How many seats are there in the stadium? 25,713 were at the sold out Man City FA Cup tie. There was some segregation but I don’t recall 5,300 unused seats.

Ha. It wasn’t even sold out, let alone 4K over capacity . I think it’s a typo, 21k. 

• Like 3

On 05/05/2023 at 22:38, mightyreds89 said:

It always baffles me that people think AG is difficult to get to and from and park at. I live in BS16 and have been going to Ashton Gate for over 30 years never once had any issues parking, had to pay for parking or walk more than 10-15 mins and that’s arriving in bs3 around 140/145pm.

i don’t get the bus but from what I am told bus services and bus routes to AG have never been more available or regular.

As a regular at away games I always think how much worse traffic & parking seems to be on an away day compared to a home game. Away parking at most grounds is a million times worse unless you pay. 

can’t be alone surely? Always baffles me this talking point. 

I too live in mangotsfield and find it easy to get to 

On 05/05/2023 at 22:38, mightyreds89 said:

It always baffles me that people think AG is difficult to get to and from and park at. I live in BS16 and have been going to Ashton Gate for over 30 years never once had any issues parking, had to pay for parking or walk more than 10-15 mins and that’s arriving in bs3 around 140/145pm.

i don’t get the bus but from what I am told bus services and bus routes to AG have never been more available or regular.

As a regular at away games I always think how much worse traffic & parking seems to be on an away day compared to a home game. Away parking at most grounds is a million times worse unless you pay. 

can’t be alone surely? Always baffles me this talking point. 

I bike over from bs1, takes about 10 mins and there’s always cycle parking available inside the gate

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Having been to most grounds in London I picked Fulham to go and watch though this was back when they were in Div 4, shortly before Al Fayed took over, and I watched them mostly in Div 3 with a season ticket bought for the princely sum of £160. I was still travelling to City games once a month or so but that season ticket was so cheap that I couldn't say no.

My primary reason for picking Fulham, cheap tickets being second in line, was that I could stand on a terrace again. The home terrace behind the goal was huge, rarely crowded, and, unlike the away terrace at the other end, had a roof on it.

Plus you had a great view of the tidal Thames, the sea birds flying up, the barges where people lived, and on winter afternoons the river turning orange from the sunset.

I haven't been back since they rebuilt the ground to an all seater for the Premiership, I'd rather have the memories.

Totally understand what your saying , I just like the fact very little trouble decent ( but expensive boozers ) nice walk along the Thames and not the pressure or anxiety watching city

• Like 1

Using EFLfansbanter for the baseline figures (as accurate as I can find albeit with the occasional rounded attendance) then home attendance at the Gate this season without away fans saw a total of 433218 pass through the turnstiles for an average of 18836. This represents a rise of about 1,000 on last season (410765/17859).

City's away attendance was also slightly up with 27705 travelling for an average of 1205 as compared to 27299/1187 last season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could always count on a bumper support for big games but without checking I’d imagine you’d have to go back a long, long way for when we were averaging 20k plus regularly like have done the past few seasons.

Wind the clock back 25 years and our promotion season under Ward only saw us average around 12,000 - and that was the best in the division that year.

We’ve definitely expanded our fan base - and you can hardly call those Johnny-come-latelys glory hunters ?

• Like 2

On 07/05/2023 at 09:36, sugarwray said:

About 27,000.

Bristol v South Africa was I believe a total sell out last November.

Obviously concerts can hold more.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous