IGNORED

16 years ago today

BS15_RED

13 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

One of my happiest days, after years of heartaches and near misses we finally escaped league one! What a special team that was, in my 31 years so far of watching City, 2006-09 is by far and away my favourite period.

Agree 100%, after all those years of near misses, losing to Crapdiff in the play offs, then Brighton was possibly the most deflated i've ever been following City. 

Then the pain of seeing Tinman heartbroken in the dugout at Swansea. Nine long and painful years stuck down in the third tier.

Don't think i'll ever forget the week leading up to this, losing at Millwall knowing we would of won promotion if we were to get a result. The feeling of here we go again, the nerves, the tension.

Getting it in the neck from gasholes in work saying we were going to bottle it, and knowing us we often do/did.

The atmosphere in and around AG on a warm sunny day was electric, it was buzzing. Final day of season, capacity crowd, in our own hands knowing a win and we were up regardless of other results.

Days like this are very few and far in between.

Was in the Ship & Castle with the ex mrs, stood outside among hoards of fans, some of which I knew and a few friendly Millers fans too. Fair play to them seeing as they were allready relegated.

The feeling at full time and running onto the pitch and everybody hugging, the relief was huge, don't think i've ever felt relief like it

Was great getting back to my local pub in Portishead that evening too and lording it to the rat faced gashead regulars in there. Just brilliant.

Has to be my favourite day following City I thiink, or if not right up there.

Great great day and night, one we all will never forget I would suspect.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, Spudgun said:

Agree 100%, after all those years of near misses, losing to Crapdiff in the play offs, then Brighton was possibly the most deflated i've ever been following City. 

Then the pain of seeing Tinman heartbroken in the dugout at Swansea. Nine long and painful years stuck down in the third tier.

Don't think i'll ever forget the week leading up to this, losing at Millwall knowing we would of won promotion if we were to get a result. The feeling of here we go again, the nerves, the tension.

Getting it in the neck from gasholes in work saying we were going to bottle it, and knowing us we often do/did.

The atmosphere in and around AG on a warm sunny day was electric, it was buzzing. Final day of season, capacity crowd, in our own hands knowing a win and we were up regardless of other results.

Was in the Ship & Castle with the ex mrs, stood outside among hoards of fans, some of which I knew and a few friendly Millers fans too. Fair play to them seeing as they were allready relegated.

The feeling at full time and running onto the pitch and everybody hugging, the relief was huge, don't think i've ever felt relief like it

Was great getting back to my local pub in Portishead that evening too and lording it to the rat faced gashead regulars in there. Just brilliant.

Beautifully summed up mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spudgun said:

Must of been the full allocation of Rotherham fans in their that day, they only brought about 50 didn't they?

Was a brilliant day and as soon as Nobes got the opener all the tension just lifted, mad to think Scunthorpe went up as Champions that year and will be in Conference North next season, pretty sure Yeovil beat Forest in the play offs that year and look at the gap between them now!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spudgun said:

Agree 100%, after all those years of near misses, losing to Crapdiff in the play offs, then Brighton was possibly the most deflated i've ever been following City

Spot on - especially the bit re Brighton; still the most down I’ve been after a City match. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Spot on - especially the bit re Brighton; still the most down I’ve been after a City match. 

Yes was a very down day. But my worst was losing the prem play off at Wembley. Took son for his first wembly experience. Still my happiest city game and day was away Chester to get out of the old Div. 4. My hat off to Terry Cooper. He did so much to start the rebuild from bottom of Div. 4. The club owes him.a lot I feel.  

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
  • Like 3
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Must of been the full allocation of Rotherham fans in their that day, they only brought about 50 didn't they?

Was a brilliant day and as soon as Nobes got the opener all the tension just lifted, mad to think Scunthorpe went up as Champions that year and will be in Conference North next season, pretty sure Yeovil beat Forest in the play offs that year and look at the gap between them now!

And to be fair, those few who did come down, for a nothing match for them, applauded City and were excellent sports. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HoldenBall said:

For a lot of generation of city fans that’s the first promotion they witnessed. You always remember the first. 

All I have to say is thank **** we played a relegated Rotherham ??

This was my second after the Ward promotion, I think I would rather pick which of my kids I prefer than pick a favourite promotion - like kids they all there quirks.

• Like 1

I'll never forget that day.

I was recovering from heart surgery at the time (was only 37!), and had to seek my consultants approval to attend. The wife was dead set against it (she was a gashead).

The consultant reluctantly agreed, on the condition that I stayed sat down, didn't shout or jump up to celebrate etc.

I spent most of the game sat on my hands, the epitome of calm.

On the inside I was doing cartwheels, and not ashamed to say, shed a few tears at the end watching the sheer joy of the fans on the pitch.

Great day!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

One of my happiest days, after years of heartaches and near misses we finally escaped league one! What a special team that was, in my 31 years so far of watching City, 2006-09 is by far and away my favourite period.

As i said to @elhombrecito, those two years were an incredible adventure. A wild ride where everything and anything first felt mythical then became a reality. 

the story may have had a "tragic movie ending" but the journey to get there; if you were lucky enough to live it, you'll truly understand.

Edited by The turtle

Day I will never forget. I was very fortunate to win OTIB's prediction league so my prize was myself and my Dad being invited as Steve Lansdown's guest in the Director's box. As a then 17/18-year-old, this was quite a surreal experience. I cannot speak highly how lovely Maggie Lansdown and Marina Dolman were to us both. When the players went to the Director's area after the game, with the huge sea of fans on the pitch, I was directly behind them and right amongst the celebrations. I will never forget those special moments, but at the same time it was a bit of a blur!

Remember briefly speaking to Gary Johnson after the game and suggested we sign Chris Iwelumo from Colchester who was in superb form at the time. Sadly he went to Charlton, but later briefly joined City on a short term loan in 2010.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I'll never forget that day.

I was recovering from heart surgery at the time (was only 37!), and had to seek my consultants approval to attend. The wife was dead set against it (she was a gashead).

The consultant reluctantly agreed, on the condition that I stayed sat down, didn't shout or jump up to celebrate etc.

I spent most of the game sat on my hands, the epitome of calm.

On the inside I was doing cartwheels, and not ashamed to say, shed a few tears at the end watching the sheer joy of the fans on the pitch.

Great day!

Talking of shedding tears , I must admit as city walked out at the millennium stadium against Brighton I looked round looked at all the city fans and could actually feel tears running down my face , why ! I couldn’t tell you perhaps it was pride , all the ups & downs the friends I had met watching city over the years , the pride knowing my kids had become city fans and continue to be watching city home & away , those tears turned to mass disappointment at the final whistle we really did let ourselves down that day , what a poor performance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, redkev said:

Talking of shedding tears , I must admit as city walked out at the millennium stadium against Brighton I looked round looked at all the city fans and could actually feel tears running down my face , why ! I couldn’t tell you perhaps it was pride , all the ups & downs the friends I had met watching city over the years , the pride knowing my kids had become city fans and continue to be watching city home & away , those tears turned to mass disappointment at the final whistle we really did let ourselves down that day , what a poor performance.

My family still regularly remind me that I hardly uttered a word for 24 hours after that game!

I’m 60 soon & this is one of only 2 occasions I can recall us getting promoted at home.

The other was when Clive Whitehead scored against Pompey & I was about 11 so really had absolutely no idea of the magnitude.

This was just a great day, the sun was shining, the ground virtually full of City fans, Rotherham were already relegated so fair play to the 50 odd who came down, true supporters.

David Noble reminded me of Donnie Gillies in that he was not a big goalscorer but a scorer of big goals, as he was to prove at Palace a year later.

Despite one nutter on here that GJ era was special & after a few false dawns we haven’t replicated it since.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It's mad isn't it about Scunthorpe and Yeovil and where they are now, scary.

I was in the east end that day stood not far from the Rotherham fans and remember thinking how strange it was seeing away fans in the corner but on the dolman side of the east end.

I can't ever recall any away support being in that side before or after that day whilst sharing with home supporters?.

Agree about Nobles opener, we came out of the blocks fast and were hungry to get ahead quickly.  Just knew it was going to be our day.

Cracking goal too!

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Would love to see some decent highlights from that day - don't think i've ever found any on YT etc

My highlight was I had to go to a 70th birthday that evening with the wife at Almondsbury , it was already arranged to meet her there , she was a tad worried how I would be when I arrived , an hour late - she was not disappointed ??

In my 40 years on this earth, the Johnson's have given me probably 3 of the 4 best football matches I seen in Bristol City.

1 - Lee Johnson's team beating Man Utd will be hard to topple, especially with my Brother and Dad in attendance and the last game my Dad has seen City play due to ill health.

2 - The injury time winner at Crystal Palace by Noble in the 1st leg of the playoffs, I remember hugging and kissing people I had never met or seen before, and celebrating all the way back to the train station

3 - That strike by Trundle in the 2nd leg against Palace, I try to forget the next goal due to the personal heartache and effects on friends and family caused, but that night at the time was epic.

4 - The comeback against Hartlepool and Christian Roberts blasting in the winner in front of us.

Sadly in the Cotterill promotion season, I didn't see as many games as I would have liked, so I missed the nights at Bradford etc, but for me in watching live games, 3 of the 4 best times I've had supporting City, have come with a Johnson as our manager and for that I'll never feel bad or negatively about their time at our club.

Some of these videos bring back memories of when life was a lot happier for me. Not gonna lie, watching some of them bring a tear to my eyes. 

• Like 9

It was a brilliant day. Noble’s first goal settled the nerves and the outpouring of emotion with the pitch invasion at the end (with the relegation in the late 90s followed by those play off failures still fresh in the mind) was awesome.