IGNORED

What are your immediate end of season thoughts?

Jerseybean

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

image.png.748a2734b3720a0b60809cd4eee7f391.png

image.png.aebc947d38f47f13ae7914fa66334534.png

image.thumb.png.7a1dc18d54016fe657115c55e6ab96f9.png

image.png.ce89c05fb233e857109b8fd1e9f5704f.png

image.png.393e112eaebbf8b37f9f0a2c206e6be5.png

My immediate end of season thought is that I need to enrol in a summer school course in reading excel spread sheets and graphs and understanding things like expected goals etc. 

My CSE in woodwork has taken me as far as it can!

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

@Davefevs Can always count on you to have all the stats! So 12th = to be exact for both goals scored and conceded…

Although I have spotted an inconsistency that I don’t quite understand. In the “shots for” sheet it says we only scored 52 goals rather than 55 in the “goals sheet”. Similar disparity for goals and shots conceded. And we are not the only ones affected. How come? Own goals taken out?

Yes, OGs.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

One thing this does show

TOO MANY CORNERS IN 'OTHER'

Short corner pissing around

Guess so, FBRef don’t define “other” though.

FWIW, in a roundabout way, our second goal yesterday was the end-result of a short corner.  We got one at Rotherham too.  Definitely a “we got no big-uns, no point lobbing into the box” approach.

We only scored two conventional corner goals - Burnley (a) and PNE (h)

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes I had forgotten about that. Looking back now and that game was a turning point. 

OK so 3 bad games out of 46, what's so laughable about that? 

If you truly believe we had only 3 bad games, come back with about 5 or 6 and you might be a bit nearer the mark. I suppose it depends on your definition of bad though, personally, it comes down to whether I enjoyed the game, I would say at home about half the time for me.

Edited by pillred

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Guess so, FBRef don’t define “other” though.

FWIW, in a roundabout way, our second goal yesterday was the end-result of a short corner.  We got one at Rotherham too.  Definitely a “we got no big-uns, no point lobbing into the box” approach.

We only scored two conventional corner goals - Burnley (a) and PNE (h)

Corners into the box are a very low percentage method of scoring anyway. IIRC it's only about 1% of all corners that lead to goals.

21 minutes ago, pillred said:

If you truly believe we had only 3 bad games, come back with about 5 or 6 and you might be a bit nearer the mark. I suppose it depends on your definition of bad though, personally, it comes down to whether I enjoyed the game, I would say at home about half the time for me.

The joy of OTIB in one post. ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, pillred said:

I pretty much enjoyed most home games this season. Its been far more enjoyable than when we couldn't even get a shot on target at home not so long ago! 

I felt as if there was about 40 games where we played decent in and could have won. 

I can certainly easily pick 3 games within 0.1 seconds where we could and should have won which would have been pretty much enough to get into the play offs. 

• Like 2

My immediate thought is that we’ve suffered seasons of pain, now for the glory. 

Solid foundations laid. At last we have a team with an identity, commitment, consistency, pace and power. A few tweaks in personnel and we have take off.

Struth, if we can’t now match the likes of Luton, Boro, Sheff Utd, Sunderland et alI I give up. 

• Like 4

We must do better next season. And my hunch is we will. Glad we’ve got away from being a soft touch defensively. The plaudits we received for losing 3-2 at Norwich nearly gave me a stroke. 
Sad to see Antoine go. Will be sad to see Scott go. Hope Mehmeti kicks on. I want to be entertained, excited by our football. Hope we don’t just become a team of hard-working dogs. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I pretty much enjoyed most home games this season. Its been far more enjoyable than when we couldn't even get a shot on target at home not so long ago! 

I felt as if there was about 40 games where we played decent in and could have won. 

I can certainly easily pick 3 games within 0.1 seconds where we could and should have won which would have been pretty much enough to get into the play offs. 

We were certainly a bit unlucky in a fair few games, but I expect fans of the other 23 clubs in the Championship would probably say the same about their club, and if you say we were decent in 40 games then that's 6 we weren't which is pretty much what I said to you in my earlier post. I'm glad you enjoyed most home games me well being me I didn't for many different reasons and I know a lot of the time due to injuries we rarely played our best 11 but that doesn't make the game any better does it as a spectacle. there is a pretty good summing up of our  season on Bristol live they say it's one that won't live long in the memory it's well worth a read they are pretty optimistic for the future I would say.

Edited by pillred

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Its been far more enjoyable than when we couldn't even get a shot on target at home not so long ago! 

It’s amazing what short memories some people have. He’s transformed us since those recent, not so heady (read f‘ing horrific) days yet some people who vehemently wanted him gone over Christmas are still struggling to give any real praise for what we have done. God help him if we aren’t top 8 come autumn international break. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I agree with some of this and certainly at home the performances have generally been highly convincing, away from home we have possibly got more than we deserved in some games. Midtable feels about right to me but then again officiating and injuries have acted as a drag

Signs of really good progression especially with the academy players.

Add the right experience / options along with tying Zac and Cam to new deals and we should be a much stronger side next season. The fact that the youngsters are now Championship experienced is a real plus.

Signs of promise and a lower wage bill, what's not to like?

BTW, I'm assuming that Scott is sadly off. It's been a pleasure watching him.

Some thoughts...

Steve and Jon are trying to sell the club. Hence their "we should be in the play offs" rhetoric. It's not grounded in a reality - at least not one that I can see. They've pumped £240 million into BCFC and achieved mid-table in the Championship over the past 20 years. Tells you all you need to know about their "opinion".

We finished where we deserved to finish. Mid-table. I don't quite understand the comments about "lowest quality Championship" people have ever seen. Could it be that we have stopped opposition teams enforcing themselves on us - i.e. they look worse? And could the low play offs points totals signal that the league is more competitive - i.e. the gap between teams is narrowing?

The rebuild and restructure of the culture was massive. Anyone remember Marley Watkins hiding in the change room to avoid training ?. Pearson has root and branch overhauled this football club.

FWIW I don't think Scott will go this summer. I just can't see any club shelling out £25million for a promising youngster playing championship football. I get that there's potential, and no doubt he could become a big star. I guess it's all about the risk vs reward isn't it. 

Next season. Well I might come to a few more games. We should sign 4-5 players. We need some talented enforcers in the spine of the team - especially if Scott does go.  The challenge there being we still need to keep the pathways open for the youngsters.

In closing, the football has been so dire for so long (until post-Christmas). I go to enjoy myself - not for torture, there's more than enough of that in my life.

2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

FWIW I don't think Scott will go this summer. I just can't see any club shelling out £25million for a promising youngster playing championship football. I get that there's potential, and no doubt he could become a big star. I guess it's all about the risk vs reward isn't it. 

Next season. Well I might come to a few more games. We should sign 4-5 players. We need some talented enforcers in the spine of the team - especially if Scott does go.  The challenge there being we still need to keep the pathways open for the youngsters.

Catch-22 here.

If Scott not sold or if he isn't some other kinda further profit, revenue or cost saving not yielded, I wonder slightly if we would he in the correct FFP position to add the 4-5 that we may need.

Pre player sale profits I make our likely max possible accounting loss into this season £21m. There maybe some other bits relating to Covid that I am missing it course. Depends how much the cost savings from players leaving on frees yield too of course.

The departures will free up wages and amortisation but will replacing them and keeping Scott prove to be difficult while staying within £39m adjusted losses.

Low or moderate quality Championship is a view I have seen elsewhere too tbh, multiple fans forums I've seen it so the jury is out, definitely not lowest however.

Well okay £4-5m maybe more across 5 players. That includes wages, amortisation, agents and signing on fees. Maybe I'm slightly excessively cautious, what sort of expenditure would you be hoping for basically.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

In closing, the football has been so dire for so long (until post-Christmas). I go to enjoy myself - not for torture, there's more than enough of that in my life.

I know that we perhaps view Scott through Bristol City fans' tinted spectacles, but in this case I genuinely think that he is a once in a generation player.  The comments of opposition fans throughout the season would seem to endorse this, as did the comments of Pep Guardiola.  

The only weakness I can see is that he perhaps could/should score more goals. However in his short career he has demonstrated his versatility by playing in attacking and defensive midfield positions, and is proficient in both - I think I'm right in saying that he is the most fouled player in the championship but also has made the most defensive tackles.

The main thing that makes him a stand out for me is that even at such a young age he is controlling games from midfield and against many very tough and experienced midfield opposition.

He will only continue to improve, so the question for interested clubs is, while £25m+ might be a big fee for such a young player, that could well be £40m in a year's time so if they want his talent and potential then the time to get him is now.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I know that we perhaps view Scott through Bristol City fans' tinted spectacles, but in this case I genuinely think that he is a once in a generation player.  The comments of opposition fans throughout the season would seem to endorse this, as did the comments of Pep Guardiola.  

The only weakness I can see is that he perhaps could/should score more goals. However in his short career he has demonstrated his versatility by playing in attacking and defensive midfield positions, and is proficient in both - I think I'm right in saying that he is the most fouled player in the championship but also has made the most defensive tackles.

The main thing that makes him a stand out for me is that even at such a young age he is controlling games from midfield and against many very tough and experienced midfield opposition.

He will only continue to improve, so the question for interested clubs is, while £25m+ might be a big fee for such a young player, that could well be £40m in a year's time so if they want his talent and potential then the time to get him is now.

Me and @ExiledRobin were discussing just this yesterday.  I thought he had a decent(ish) game on Monday, nothing extra-special.  But is that because we’ve set the bar higher?  

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me and @ExiledRobin were discussing just this yesterday.  I thought he had a decent(ish) game on Monday, nothing extra-special.  But is that because we’ve set the bar higher?  

I remember seeing him first when he came on as a sub at Posh 2 seasons ago when he was 17. The weather was foul, the pitch was heavy, as were Posh - a very physical team.

He wasn't phased, and played confidently taking players on in the same way we have seen all of this season, despite some very "robust" challenges. You could see that had something about him that you just don't see in players of that age and such limited experience. That "something about him" has materialised over this last season into a player that has already outgrown this club and division.

I can't see any way his development would be helped by staying here for another season. The hope ( for us and him) is that he is getting the right advice for his career, and not just picking up a bigger signing on fee by staying here until the end of his contract. If he has concerns about moving to a top club where he might not get game time then I am pretty certain that there are decent premier league clubs where he would be a regular starter, who would pay the sort of fee we would want, would remunerate Alex more than handsomely and were his ability would ensure a move to a top club in the near future.

10 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Some thoughts...

Steve and Jon are trying to sell the club. Hence their "we should be in the play offs" rhetoric. It's not grounded in a reality - at least not one that I can see. They've pumped £240 million into BCFC and achieved mid-table in the Championship over the past 20 years. Tells you all you need to know about their "opinion".

We finished where we deserved to finish. Mid-table. I don't quite understand the comments about "lowest quality Championship" people have ever seen. Could it be that we have stopped opposition teams enforcing themselves on us - i.e. they look worse? And could the low play offs points totals signal that the league is more competitive - i.e. the gap between teams is narrowing?

The rebuild and restructure of the culture was massive. Anyone remember Marley Watkins hiding in the change room to avoid training ?. Pearson has root and branch overhauled this football club.

Agree on your last paragraph but a number of us did warn it would take time. The obvious issue being to up the entertainment you need to play a bit more open and if we’d done that 12-18 months ago we would have been pummelled every single week because we couldn’t defend for toffee.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Real robin harvey said:

That next season is Pearson Season - his new signings to bolster the good basis he has will be crucial - he is not keen on loan players but those at the top were using them - will he make it happen or be gone by Xmas???!!!!

Those at the bottom were using them too. So you can make the opposite case.

And Nigel has made it clear he is not against loans but it has to be somebody who fits the culture and is affordable. He tried to get a player in January but it was too expensive.

I wouldn't expect any loans in the summer but maybe one in January depending on how we are doing.

• Like 1