IGNORED

What are your immediate end of season thoughts?

Jerseybean

42 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Positive improvements on literally every metric

Not every metric..shots for and shots on target for are down slightly on last season. We've scored 7 fewer goals in the league. XG for is also very, very slightly down. All are up compared to when Pearson took over, but our attacking output has worsened or at best plateaued compared to last season.

Our improvement this season has been in defence. Improve the attack to the same degree next season and we might finish top 10.

• Thanks 1

I’m a glass half empty man tonight. We finished  the season OK but let’s not forget how bad we were around Xmas. 10 points off the playoffs is 1 worse than when LJ got sacked. So I’m not sure the only statistic that counts says we have improved. 

having said that the youngsters breaking through is very exciting and since mid Jan we have played some good football. 

Next season is a no excuses season for NP. We need a good start and by that I mean wins not just nice football. It’s going to be tough again but we should be challenging for a playoff spot not happy to finish in the bottom half again.

COYR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2

Improvement. In terms of points, GD, underlying metrics and League position. Plus performances too, some of our play at times has been very decent and in general we have seemed cohesive.

A leaner squad that has got a bit thin partially out of necessity and partially through accelerating business.

@ExiledAjax Surely at home our attacking output has improved, first positive shots ratio at home since 2018-19. Our conversion rate seems to go through feast and famine somewhat. Perhaps the attacking numbers ate levelling out a bit in that last season our numbers somewhat exceeded the output.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not every metric..shots for and shots on target for are down slightly on last season. We've scored 7 fewer goals in the league. XG for is also very, very slightly down. All are up compared to when Pearson took over, but our attacking output has worsened or at best plateaued compared to last season.

Our improvement this season has been in defence. Improve the attack to the same degree next season and we might finish top 10.

Scored more if included cup though, and as noted we lost Semenyo in January who was an enormous part of that. Being there or there abouts after losing Semenyo and Martin, Weimann not having the same season as last, and supplementing the goals with our own academy lads in Conway and Bell is a huge green light for me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Overall positive, the likes of Conway , Pring, Vyner O’Leary & Bell all proving they can preform at this level. Is a big plus.

sykes, tanner & memetti also looking astute signings.

can’t help but feel if we hadn’t had the long term injuries to key players in key positions over the season we could of achieved a top six spot, I appreciate all teams will experience this over the course of season but we really where done to the bear bones. 
kalas, Atkinson, Naismith, Conway, Williams and all missed a large chucks of season . 

Good assessment John - sums up my view very well. 

The positives are the introduction of Conway, Bell, Tanner and Sykes all of whom have adapted to the Championship really well. Nige has blended the experience with the inexperienced players - definitely one of SLs ambitions. Vyner has matured significantly also has had a great season. To me he was PotyS.

I’d also add the vastly improved culture throughout the club developed by Nige bringing in staff he knew at the Foxes and bringing in players with a positive attitude. There’s an upbeat vibe all thru the football club.

The negatives are obviously the injuries to mainly the defence. Kalas, Atkinson, Nailsmith. Dasilva was out for a few games and Kane Wilson out virtually all season. Joe Williams was missed numerous games with his hamstring problems,

With the right signings this summer I’m optimistic that City can be be a real threat next campaign. 

Overall I’m happy enough with this season

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I feel like this season is where Pearson has finally navigated us out of troubled waters, and into a position where the club can move forward. 

I think that whilst we should recognise the positive things from this season, we must not get complacent. 

I'm a huge Pearson fan but if he is being given money to spent this summer then next season I expect us to be going into the final game of the season with a chance of getting into the play offs. 

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don’t see how you can compare this team with LJ’s . NP has lowered the wage bill by £8m and trimmed down the squad whereas Johnson signed 60 + players & had millions to spend . Completely different 

I’m not comparing the squad to what LJ assembled and I know finances are very different. 
I’m just not over the moon with a season where we were awful at times and finished in the lower half the league again

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, CHIPLEY RED said:

I’m not comparing the squad to what LJ assembled and I know finances are very different. 
I’m just not over the moon with a season where we were awful at times and finished in the lower half the league again

With all the upheaval , financial problems & lowering of the wage bill . Where did you expect us to finish ? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We chucked away a few points during the first part of the season; and those points could have made a big difference.

However, since Xmas, we have had a relatively settled side and system, and performances have generally been good.

Our game management has improved significantly during the second part of the season.

Overall, happy with this season, expecting better next season with a top 10 finish.

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Scored more if included cup though

Cooking the books a little there surely? We went out in the first round of both cups last season - so total goals scored was 64 in 48 - 1.33 per game. This season we played 7 cup games, scoring 14 (if my counting is correct) - so that's (55+14)/53 = 1.30 per game. As I say; at best plateauing.

Can you get top 6 with a record of 1.33 or 1.30 goals per league game? The answer is yes (you can even do it with worse), but the teams that have managed it this season have conceded 1 or fewer per game. We've conceded 1.22 per game in the league (1.24 if we include cup games) so we need a further big defensive improvement unless we drastically improve up front.

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@ExiledAjax Surely at home our attacking output has improved, first positive shots ratio at home since 2018-19. Our conversion rate seems to go through feast and famine somewhat. Perhaps the attacking numbers ate levelling out a bit in that last season our numbers somewhat exceeded the output.

Yes at home our shots ratio is positive - slightly. Away is poor though and roughly the same as last season. Overall we still tend to allow 2 more shots than we take (although I concede that is down from 3.8 last season). But this is attacking output v defensive. I said our defence has improved. Attack hasn't though. Excuse the rough nature of the following, but you can see it's pretty flat across the last 92 matches, and also we broadly track our xG so it's not luck or misfortune that's keeping our numbers down - they are about what we deserve.

Season   Goals Shots Shots on target Shots on target % Goals/SoT xG
2021/22 Home 33 253 89 35.2 0.37 30.89
  Away 29 223 78 35.0 0.37 26.61
  Total 62 476 167 70.2 0.74 57.5

2022/23 Home 30 262 83 31.7 0.36 31.85
  Away 25 187 94 50.3 0.27 25.64
  Total 55 449 177 81.9 0.63 57.49

That away shot on target % though...woof. Shame we didn't convert more.

Anyway, Pearson improved us hugely in 2021/22, and he's improved our defence hugely this season. Next season is, for me, about building on that and improving the supply to the forwards so that they can finish the chances and get us those extra dozen or so goals that should bring us the extra 10-15 points we need to get to the mid-60s and so give lady luck the chance she needs to push us into 5th or 6th.

The million dollar question is: Can Pearson et al do that?

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Immediate thoughts:

this football lark really gets in the way of Excel! ???

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Who...the jury is currently out on.

who is the jury?

Serious thoughts:

Sad the footies over, excited the transfer stuff is about to start and we can dream again.

37 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I’m a glass half empty man tonight. We finished  the season OK but let’s not forget how bad we were around Xmas. 10 points off the playoffs is 1 worse than when LJ got sacked. So I’m not sure the only statistic that counts says we have improved. 

having said that the youngsters breaking through is very exciting and since mid Jan we have played some good football. 

Next season is a no excuses season for NP. We need a good start and by that I mean wins not just nice football. It’s going to be tough again but we should be challenging for a playoff spot not happy to finish in the bottom half again.

COYR

Yes next season we really have to be in the top 8 nothing less for me ( obviously top 2 or top 6 would be ideal ) 

I think we will improve with the right additions as long as we don’t lose Any players ( except Scott which we all expect ) my concern is that I think it will be a stronger division next year so even though I’m sure we will improve I think others will too

12 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

We chucked away a few points during the first part of the season; and those points could have made a big difference.

However, since Xmas, we have had a relatively settled side and system, and performances have generally been good.

Our game management has improved significantly during the second part of the season.

Overall, happy with this season, expecting better next season with a top 10 finish.

Last season 81st minute onwards we were GF 12 GA 15, this season GF 5 GA 5. Whilst some of that will be down to game situations and would be great if we’d scored as many as last season, think it points to improved resilience, both physical and mental, which hopefully we continue to build on into next season. If we can, then rather than converting losses into draws (4 more draws this season than last), we can move some draws into the wins column and get the 2 point benefit of doing so, as per Blackburn. 

31 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

30 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

With all the upheaval , financial problems & lowering of the wage bill . Where did you expect us to finish ? 

Top half the league, at a guess?

35 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Could have been worse? We could have failed to get our finances in order and ended up in League One like Reading.

What we have achieved this season cannot be underestimated.

• Like 17
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Could have been worse? We could have failed to get our finances in order and ended up in League One like Reading.

What we have achieved this season cannot be underestimated.

Absolutely. Last time we were in the final throws of sorting out some previous profligacy we got relegated and were an abject embarrassment. 

• Like 7

Huge reduction in wage bill, youngsters bloodied and didn’t look like going down.  At Xmas time I said that for me, Pearson had until the end of this season to show he could take us forward and that his plan had merit.  A big part of the upturn in my opinion was the switch to the back four. It ultimately doesn’t matter whether he was forced into that or not (I think he was btw).  Overall, we can all be excited by next season.  B+ season rating. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 2