IGNORED

Another old picture

sticks 1969

The Eastville one in '76. We were on our way up to Div One.

I was right at the back and a local ice cream van stopped on the hard shoulder of M32 to sell ice cream and cold drinks to the City fans within easy reach. After five minutes, Mr Plod car stopped and told him to move. He just drove around the block and arrived again a few minutes later. Same copper came back and moved him on. This happened about three more times until ice cream driver got their message.

Much better entertainment than a boring 0-0 against the carp of Eastville!

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Good detective work, very persuasive.

Interestingly Cassell's left Oxford for Southampton in March 82 so if it is him it must have been one of his last game for Oxford, if not his last.

Definitely Nicholls (a big loss when he badly broke his leg) but I can't get over how much the player on the right looks like Aitken, which it can't be if it's March '82.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I think it might be Wayne Bray, though not 100%.

Yep.

Definitely is Wayne Bray.

• Like 2

Fascinating photos and information again. 

Does anyone know why we wore black shorts in the early 80s? I remember reading somewhere it was to save money during those hard times because they were cheaper than white ones, but I have no idea if there’s any truth in this. 

21 minutes ago, Offside said:

Does anyone know why we wore black shorts in the early 80s? I remember reading somewhere it was to save money during those hard times because they were cheaper than white ones, but I have no idea if there’s any truth in this. 

I don't know for sure, but those shorts have red/white stripes down the sides, I doubt they would be the cheapest option. I just thought it was a style choice at the time, though it may have meant we could use the same shorts for the home and away kit. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I knew 1/2 , had to check my books to check and still don't know the one on the right for sure.

If it is the game I think it is, the team was:

Moller
Stevens
Williams
Bray
McCaffery
Nicolls
Gooding
Carter
Chandler
Harford
Hay

I know most of that team but have no recollection of 2 of them;

*** L. Carter played 16 games for us and the only Gooding I can find played 3.

Les Carter ? One of our worst EVER players, on loan from Palace........ Gooding wasn't much better as I recall also on loan .

13 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Les Carter ? One of our worst EVER players, on loan from Palace........ Gooding wasn't much better as I recall also on loan .

Perhaps having no memory of them is a bonus then. 
We did get through some players around then TBF.

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Spot on, both were absolutely shite.

Gooding had vibes of John Burns who Pulis inexplicably signed from Forest when we sold Jim Brennan, you had no idea what he was even supposed to be good at, truly terrible players.

1 hour ago, Offside said:

The kit manufacturer was Koffer Sports. I thought they deliberately chose black shorts purely for the fact Man U did occasionally and it looked good.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

One surprise omission from that team is Russell Musker.

Or had he already broken his leg at Swindon by then?

Had a quick look, he just seems to be in and out of the side. I can't see any mention of his broken leg , the Swindon away game was in the December of '81.  Could it have been the following year ?

EDIT:
Just Googled it and it was the League Cup tie at Swindon Town in August 1982. So it would have been the following year.

Edited by 1960maaan

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Had a quick look, he just seems to be in and out of the side. I can't see any mention of his broken leg , the Swindon away game was in the December of '81.  Could it have been the following year ?

It could have been but I was there and December sounds about right.

The following season we played at Swindon in the League Cup in August and in the league on the last day of the season, so both likely in good weather.

Musker made his City debut in 1980 (Div.2 presumably) so if fit you'd think he'd be above the likes of Bray, let alone Carter and Gooding.

Btw, do you know the sub. v Oxford?

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It could have been but I was there and December sounds about right.

The following season we played at Swindon in the League Cup in August and in the league on the last day of the season, so both likely in good weather.

Musker made his City debut in 1980 (Div.2 presumably) so if fit you'd think he'd be above the likes of Bray, let alone Carter and Gooding.

Btw, do you know the sub. v Oxford?

Unused as it's not listed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on, both were absolutely shite.

Gooding had vibes of John Burns who Pulis inexplicably signed from Forest when we sold Jim Brennan, you had no idea what he was even supposed to be good at, truly terrible players.

It was strange with Carter, there was a player in there (used to watch him on The Big Match for Palace) and at the time we signed him I thought "he'll do" !

• Like 1

It was watching City in those dire days that made it what it is for me. I was nine for my first game against West Ham in 76/77, and suffered relentlessly as we dropped in the years that followed, surrounded in school by bandwagon Liverpool and Man Ure fans. Siege mentality is correct, but it just made you love and fight for your team even more.

I vaguely remember a win against Bury (in division four I'm sure) where I think we won 1-0, thanks to an Alan Nicholas strike in torrential rain. The pure elation for me ranks alongside 4-2 at Trumpton and the Man Ure cup game. Tough times that made BCFC what it is for me...

COYR!!!

• Like 2
  • Robin 3

13 hours ago, BS3City said:

It was watching City in those dire days that made it what it is for me. I was nine for my first game against West Ham in 76/77, and suffered relentlessly as we dropped in the years that followed, surrounded in school by bandwagon Liverpool and Man Ure fans. Siege mentality is correct, but it just made you love and fight for your team even more.

I vaguely remember a win against Bury (in division four I'm sure) where I think we won 1-0, thanks to an Alan Nicholas strike in torrential rain. The pure elation for me ranks alongside 4-2 at Trumpton and the Man Ure cup game. Tough times that made BCFC what it is for me...

COYR!!!

Beating York City 1. nil felt like winning the World cup .

• Like 5

On 30/06/2023 at 14:21, cidered abroad said:

The Eastville one in '76. We were on our way up to Div One.

I was right at the back and a local ice cream van stopped on the hard shoulder of M32 to sell ice cream and cold drinks to the City fans within easy reach. After five minutes, Mr Plod car stopped and told him to move. He just drove around the block and arrived again a few minutes later. Same copper came back and moved him on. This happened about three more times until ice cream driver got their message.

Much better entertainment than a boring 0-0 against the carp of Eastville!

Funny enough I saw armed police surrounding a ice cream van once, they heard he had possession of a magnum

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jim Davey said:

Was that the famous Ralph Milne slice ( chip ) last couple of minutes 

I remember running down the terracing jumping on to the fence ( lost my grip ) straight back into a puddle

i think nowadays I would run down the terracing and go straight through the fence ??

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Ralph Milne wonder goal at Bootham Crescent was on a BH Monday and was my birthday.

Absolute shocking pitch, freezing cold and slippery, brilliant day out. 

We went on the Special train, a load of my mates went on a pirate coach that broke down, we managed to get most of them on the train on one ticket passed around :laughcont:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Davey said:

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Was that the famous Ralph Milne slice ( chip ) last couple of minutes 

I remember running down the terracing jumping on to the fence ( lost my grip ) straight back into a puddle

i think nowadays I would run down the terracing and go straight through the fence ??

I suspect he probably means a few years earlier - 83/84? 

On the way back up from the depths of 1982 and IIRC I think this game sent us to top of div 4, with the first 10k+ crowd in a few years.

City are back, 'ello, ello! Let the (comparatively) good times roll. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

On the way back up from the depths of 1982 and IIRC I think this game sent us to top of div 4, with the first 10k+ crowd in a few years.

Paul Stevens got the winner in that one, I think.

Didn’t get many, a good player though & a South Bristol lad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

It was on a Friday night. I think we scored fairly early on? Then it was more of a 'making sure it stayed that way' type of match. Not a good game football wise but oh boy, the atmosphere at the final whistle....Ashton Gate went mental. BS3 had a football team and as Jim D said, it was like winning the World Cup.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

It was on a Friday night. I think we scored fairly early on? Then it was more of a 'making sure it stayed that way' type of match. Not a good game football wise but oh boy, the atmosphere at the final whistle....Ashton Gate went mental. BS3 had a football team and as Jim D said, it was like winning the World Cup.

Yep, we were in the middle of the east end that night and I remember a palpable connection between team and crowd. e.g. Glyn Riley whipping up the chanting at a corner (which I don't think players really used to do back then, as they do now).

It certainly seemed to me like the start of the resurrection.