IGNORED

Another old picture

sticks 1969

On 01/07/2023 at 17:39, 1960maaan said:

Absolute shocking pitch, freezing cold and slippery, brilliant day out. 

We went on the Special train, a load of my mates went on a pirate coach that broke down, we managed to get most of them on the train on one ticket passed around :laughcont:

That was a different time,  84

On 01/07/2023 at 17:49, City Rocker said:

I suspect he probably means a few years earlier - 83/84? 

On the way back up from the depths of 1982 and IIRC I think this game sent us to top of div 4, with the first 10k+ crowd in a few years.

City are back, 'ello, ello! Let the (comparatively) good times roll. 

Come on baby let the (comparatively) good times roll ?

9 hours ago, southside said:

That was a different time,  84

I could be getting mixed up with the 1-1 draw, Trevor Morgan equaliser. Really thought the Special was the one we won.

9 hours ago, southside said:

Yep , Ralphs late winner.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 12:05, 22A said:

"Eastville open end 1976, ended 0-0." That was Easter Monday 76 on our way to promotion. The previous season we won 4-1 at Eastville Dec 28 1974.

I have absolutely no idea why I remember shit like this, but I'm pretty sure the game was Good Friday and not Easter Monday. I was at the game and I'm pretty sure at 26K it must be the biggest home crowd I have ever seen Rovers play in front of. The 4-1 you mention was actually my first ever derby, I think Gordon Fearnley put us 1 up in a strong wind and it was one way traffic in the second half.

Pedantic Gas

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I have absolutely no idea why I remember shit like this, but I'm pretty sure the game was Good Friday and not Easter Monday. I was at the game and I'm pretty sure at 26K it must be the biggest home crowd I have ever seen Rovers play in front of. The 4-1 you mention was actually my first ever derby, I think Gordon Fearnley put us 1 up in a strong wind and it was one way traffic in the second half.

Pedantic Gas

0-0 Friday 16th of April , I have no recollection of this game at all.
The 4-1 only a little better. We walked over from St. Werburghs , and I remember the noise from our lot as we got near that open end. Great away terrace that used to be and technically my first away game, though I'd been to the Glos Cup, we won on Pens I think.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The 4-1 you mention was actually my first ever derby, I think Gordon Fearnley put us 1 up in a strong wind and it was one way traffic in the second half.

Pedantic Gas

Would be remiss of me not to drop in this little reminder... ?

• Robin 2

29 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Great viewing. How times have changed 

Paul Cheesley gets fouled and kicked out at the gashead. Referee tells Cheesley to get away which he does. Ref then pats the gashead on the head. As if to say don’t worry little boy

Made I laugh 

28 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Well , apart from the obvious, that was pretty glorious to watch wasn't it. As I said, that was my first derby game and it hadn't dawned on me until I heard Roger Malone mention it in the commentary, that it was the first one for a decade, I guess there must have been quite some build up to the match , but as a 10 or 11 year old at the time , I don't have much recollection of that. It also reminded me that I did see Dick Sheppard play for us, albeit just that one game -does anyone know why his return was a one off?

I could still easily name both teams regular line ups from that era, I'd struggle to name or recognise many players from both sides from the past 10-15 years. I did have the pleasure of going on the piss with Tom Ritchie in hospitality at Rovers last season, who really was a great guy and he seemed quite touched that so many Rovers fans still recognised him and gave him a very warm welcome in the bars around the ground.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, it's worth noting that in the current era we would have almost certainly had a penalty for Collier's handball and Cheesley would have seen a red card for his reaction to Frankie Prince's challenge. What with the 4th goal coming from a huge punt downfield from Cashley, Joey Barton would have been apoplectic!

I seem to remember that Cheesley was considered a bit of an unfit Norwich reject at the time, does anyone else remember that being the case? It could of course just been abuse from the North Enclosure that day that stuck in my young brain.

• Robin 1

44 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Eastville's pitch even more agricultural than the Mem.

I thought they'd planted a Scarecrow on it, but on closer inspection that was Alan Warboys. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneCity said:

That was my 20th birthday. As the 2nd half goals flew in, all my mates turned round to shake my hand and wish me a happy birthday. 

4 hours ago, OneCity said:

A few observations:

- Isn't it great to see both City and Rovers in their traditional coloured kits, with both sides wearing white shorts

- No shirt sponsorships makes both kits look better

- Both goalkeepers wearing proper green keeper shirts with white shorts and either red or blue socks.

- Interesting that next to the tunnel on the left hand dugout side you can see fans with blue hats on, and yet when City score, there are loads of fans celebrating behind that same dugout. Was there segregation then in that particular stand?

On 01/07/2023 at 17:49, City Rocker said:

I suspect he probably means a few years earlier - 83/84? 

On the way back up from the depths of 1982 and IIRC I think this game sent us to top of div 4, with the first 10k+ crowd in a few years.

City are back, 'ello, ello! Let the (comparatively) good times roll. 

yep 83 84 season pretty sure it was a tuesday night 10,000 crowd felt like 20,000

• Like 1

20 hours ago, southside said:

Was there that day, very wet, sat in that little stand though

Yes I remember that , and yes very very wet , got to be honest I use to love going to some those little grounds ,

chesterfield Tuesday night ( fxxking freezing ) Testimitano screamer 

have some great memories 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

yep 83 84 season pretty sure it was a tuesday night 10,000 crowd felt like 20,000

Sure Paul Stevens got the only goal. I knew it was going to be a big crowd because I struggled to park. For a few years before I could get to the area at 2-45 or 7-30 and not miss kick off!

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

A few observations:

- Isn't it great to see both City and Rovers in their traditional coloured kits, with both sides wearing white shorts

- Both goalkeepers wearing proper green keeper shirts with white shorts and either red or blue socks.

- Interesting that next to the tunnel on the left hand dugout side you can see fans with blue hats on, and yet when City score, there are loads of fans celebrating behind that same dugout. Was there segregation then in that particular stand?

That’s what I noticed rovers stand but seems like loads of city in there , mind you I was at the First Derby at there dump no not eastville no not twerton but there newest dump the Memorial stadium ( ??? ) was in the stand where the players  come out of and when agostino scored me and my mate jumped up forgetting ourselves and next thing I looked about there had to be at least 100 others dotted about then I looked up at the cooperate boxes and at least half the boxes were filled with city fans , the gas weren’t happy at all , few sparadic punches thrown a few city thrown out ( not us ) must admit didn’t celebrate goaters goal though just give me mate a dig in the ribs and a big old Cheshire Cat smile , those were the days 

4 hours ago, redkev said:

Yes I remember that , and yes very very wet , got to be honest I use to love going to some those little grounds ,

chesterfield Tuesday night ( fxxking freezing ) Testimitano screamer 

have some great memories 

I remember that - we were allowed in the stand to avoid getting drenched in the open end.

6 hours ago, beaverface said:

A few observations:

I was in that stand with my Dad for the Good Friday game and it was pretty mixed. Lots of city but no real animosity either way, even though there was trouble on the pitch and around the ground after.