IGNORED

Another old picture

sticks 1969

40 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Decent side that was. Bobby Hutchinson what a player he was. Remember scoring a bullet header. Think against York City. 

May have been York, but also scored another bullet header against Brentford (Carl Hutchings played for them). Met Bobby and Rob Newman in the Porthouse on Princes Street that night and said ‘great goal today Bobby’. His response was ‘it just hit me head, mate’. Agreed, great player and seemed to be a decent guy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adge's Cider Mug said:

May have been York, but also scored another bullet header against Brentford (Carl Hutchings played for them). Met Bobby and Rob Newman in the Porthouse on Princes Street that night and said ‘great goal today Bobby’. His response was ‘it just hit me head, mate’. Agreed, great player and seemed to be a decent guy.

Carl Hutchings was playing in the 90s. Unless I got that wrong 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

IMG_8536.png

Remember seeing Graham Underhill make what I think was his only City appearance at Wolves in Div.3. A disappointing City defeat at Molineux of course!

Gordon Moore was a young winger iirc, remember him making a sub. appearance at AG. He tried hard and got great encouragement from the Enclosure as he battled to try and get down the wing but was never seen again.

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes it's, Chris, can recall seeing Nigel Hawkins score against reading, he made Blackpool's worst ever 11 I read on their forum, and if i remember rightly we had Aylesbury in the fa cup at home and mark coombs was in goal?

Yup, I was there, an absolute shocker of a game. Tony Caldwell got what was one of only a handful of goals for us. 

I actually met one of the Aylesbury players a few years back, chap called Cliff Hercules, who now runs football coaching schools for kids. Lovely guy, I mentioned that game, and how we were absolutely cr**ping it because of our keeper. He said that they never knew!!! "Had we known, we'd have taken a few more pot shots!".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adge's Cider Mug said:

If rumour was to be believed, Bobby H was a top scorer at all the clubs he played for!

Thought I'd share a few Pics I'd come across. Don't think I've shared them before.

Eastville open end 1976, ended 0-0.

Screenshot2023-06-30at09_19_03.png.587413c9100e543579bab023752f6234.png

I have no details about this one other than it is apparently 1982.

With some dodgy detective work I think it could be Oxford from March . 0-2 and one of Jan Moller's last games for us.

Ashton_Gate_home_of_Bristol_City_FC_(geograph_2008803).thumb.jpg.c8c09d5ba74e2341fac8d163023c9949.jpg

Last for today, Keith Fear Vs Leeds in the FA Cup. Fear lobbing David Harvey for City's goal in the 1-1.
I had a great view of this as I was in the open end for some reason. I guess it was the tickets my Dad got, we were right on the fence.

Screenshot2023-06-30at09_48_38.png.d59a6409e043f026f1cfbc2357b62468.png

Screenshot2023-06-30at09_51_22.png.bf72adcdd1676e18375ac4cf393635d8.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 3

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If anyone can name the 4 outfield players in the middle picture they are hardcore.

We were in a real mess then, this was just after going bust.

I knew 1/2 , had to check my books to check and still don't know the one on the right for sure.

If it is the game I think it is, the team was:

Moller
Stevens
Williams
Bray
McCaffery
Nicolls
Gooding
Carter
Chandler
Harford
Hay

I know most of that team but have no recollection of 2 of them;

*** L. Carter played 16 games for us and the only Gooding I can find played 3.

Edited by 1960maaan

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I knew 1/2 , had to check my books to check and still don't know the one on the right for sure.

If it is the game I think it is, the team was:

Moller
Stevens
Williams
Bray
McCaffery
Nicolls
Gooding
Carter
Chandler
Harford
Hay

I know most of that team but have no recollection of 2 of them;

*** L. Carter played 16 games for us and the only Gooding I can find played 3.

Carter I think was a winger signed from

Palace. Gooding central midfielder (from Coventry?)

Neither would justify a footnote in our history. Moller and Harford aside we a dreadful team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

What's your detective work that points to the Oxford game?

EE looks a bit too populated for March 82 to me.

The photo I found was listed as 1982.
Jan Moller left before the end of the season 1981-82 . 
Pretty sure that's Alan Nicholls in the background.
The games left are between Jan -  March 13  when Moller played his last game.
The games were Wimbledon, Huddersfield , Fulham , Portsmouth , Exeter , Oxford and Lincoln.
Of those I doubt Huddersfield , Fulham or Portsmouth would change kits.
I think it could be Keith Cassells challenging for the header, and to back that I found this photo.
The kit looks similar.

Screenshot2023-06-30at12_41_40.png.d358b0649d2f8e468d5dccccb91ade65.png

As for the crowd, if I am right , there were over 8,000 there.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Carter I think was a winger signed from

Palace. Gooding central midfielder (from Coventry?)

Neither would justify a footnote in our history. Moller and Harford aside we a dreadful team.

All true.

Gooding & McCaffery were 2 players we borrowed after going bust but the league then changed their mind on whether we could sign players on loan having done so, we were made to send them back.

We argued Carter wasn’t a loan but on a contract until the end of the season so he stayed. He (& Gooding) in particular were really poor players.

After this game & once we sold our only 2 assets in Harford & Moller we went on an 11 game run losing 9 & drawing 2.

Basically it was John Shaw & loads of kids, despite the nostalgia for that era it was grim as hell, crowds were 3 or 4 thousand by seasons end.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

All true.

Gooding & McCaffery were 2 players we borrowed after going bust but the league then changed their mind on whether we could sign players on loan having done so, we were made to send them back.

We argued Carter wasn’t a loan but on a contract until the end of the season so he stayed. He (& Gooding) in particular were really poor players.

After this game & once we sold our only 2 assets in Harford & Moller we went on an 11 game run losing 9 & drawing 2.

Basically it was John Shaw & loads of kids, despite the nostalgia for that era it was grim as hell, crowds were 3 or 4 thousand by seasons end.

Good knowledge! My God it was grim?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The games were Wimbledon, Huddersfield , Fulham , Portsmouth , Exeter , Oxford and Lincoln.
I think it could be Keith Cassells challenging for the header, and to back that I found this photo.
The kit looks similar.

Did we lose 2-0?

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The kit looks similar.

Good detective work, very persuasive.

Interestingly Cassell's left Oxford for Southampton in March 82 so if it is him it must have been one of his last game for Oxford, if not his last.

Definitely Nicholls (a big loss when he badly broke his leg) but I can't get over how much the player on the right looks like Aitken, which it can't be if it's March '82.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I have no memory of Gooding ( or Carter TBH ) . McCaffery I didn't like, not just for the obvious.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It was grim this season, it also got worse. Bottom of the League at one point the following year. 
The worse it got , the more I went and I think it is a little bit siege mentality, bit us against the World. But I know a few who would say these times were among their favourite following City. 
Though after coming back from an evening trip to Colchester (I think) , seeing one dribbled shot on target for us, I didn't think much of TC saying he was happy with the game ?

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Good detective work, very persuasive.

Interestingly Cassell's left Oxford for Southampton in March 82 so if it is him it must have been one of his last game for Oxford, if not his last.

Definitely Nicholls (a big loss when he badly broke his leg) but I can't get over how much the player on the right looks like Aitken, which it can't be if it's March '82.

I think it might be Wayne Bray, though not 100%.

28 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Did we lose 2-0?

Yep.