IGNORED

Playoffs

Super

2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Very true, and arguably one of the most important ways to look at this.

Our league retains 2 clubs who have superior resources to us, and loses 1 who didn't (and will now receive Prem money).

As it stands don’t think we (Watford ) will be a threat unless we really improve the squad not just in ability but attitude and desire .

Luton and Coventry have shown teams like us and Norwich up big time .

They remind me of our play off winning sides - not technically great or play fancy football but get get the job done and play as a team .

Edited by Markthehorn

5 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

See where you're coming from mate, but let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things there is still absolutely no way that a club like Luton Town should be outperforming us.

Even Coventry - on par with us? Sure. But outperforming us? I don't really think so.

That's football and why we love it! I'm sure fans of other clubs would have said the same thing when it was us and Hull in the final.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

That Coventry City is long gone. It's nothing to do with that history. Same for Luton really.

What grates is the oft repeated - defeatist, can't-do attitude - of "we can't compete with parachute payment clubs" of people on here excusing abysmal football decision making by our club.

Truth is, we can't compete with:

Preston

Millwall 

Cov

Luton

Various other minnows/middling Championship clubs.

What also grates is an owner that cannot "own" this truth

Totally agree with you there, I just don't like the borderline snobbery from some which isn't really warranted imo.

10 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

See where you're coming from mate, but let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things there is still absolutely no way that a club like Luton Town should be outperforming us.

Even Coventry - on par with us? Sure. But outperforming us? I don't really think so.

In the terms of resources spent in the last 10-15 years absolutely not, but that's our failure more than anything else!

Frustrating though certainly.

• Like 1

Howe at Bournemouth, GJ at Yeovil, Robins at Cov. 

Top 3 jobs in EFL history for me, nothing comes close. Absolutely incredible. 

I remember the moans and groans after we drew 0-0 at home to Coventry this season. “Can’t even beat bottom of the league at home” ??

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Really? Not sure I've seen a dirtier team all season. Everytime Boro went forward they fouled. Doyle should have been off. 

The time wasting from their gk was ridiculous and he should have seen red too. The rolling around on the floor from him like he had been shot in the head despite no contact to his head was embarrassing. 

They were the better team (in my opinion). 

13 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

That Coventry City is long gone. It's nothing to do with that history. Same for Luton really.

What grates is the oft repeated - defeatist, can't-do attitude - of "we can't compete with parachute payment clubs" of people on here excusing abysmal football decision making by our club.

Truth is, we can't compete with:

Preston

Millwall 

Cov

Luton

Various other minnows/middling Championship clubs.

What also grates is an owner that cannot "own" this truth

Spot on. A great way of articulating the frustration that I and many others feel about seeing a Luton vs Coventry play off final.

Absolutely no disrespect intended to others on this forum, but it surprises me and worries me when others don't seem to share this frustration. Is it an indication of a long running lack of ambition within the club and fanbase?

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Cov v Luton................what a spectacular feast of total football that will be...........it's just a shame I'm having my hair done that day !

Somebody is bitter...

Kudos to them both - and may the best team win. I care not who, but hopefully on penalties after a scintillating 4-4 draw a la Charlton v Sunderland in 1998.

Fond memories of Keith Houchen and Danny Wilson triumphing against the odds in Wembley showpieces in the 1980s.

A few Smoggies who should be eating copious amounts of humble pie tonight after the piss-taking they did to the Mackems yesterday. Some of them sounded like they were already promoted.

8 hours ago, Olé said:

Seems to be a mix of starry eyes from some for Luton and Coventry's ascent or exasperation from others for the extent they have passed us and carried on.

Isn't the real story for us that it is now guaranteed that an overachiever will go up while arguably 2 bigger teams stay down, other big sides come down from the Prem.

Draw your own conclusion on the League 1 sides but next season is definitely going to be a tougher Championship than some of the ones we have so far struggled in.

Been a very unusual season, two of the 3 relegated sides have made absolutely no impression on the playoff picture, a very similar one to the year us & Hull made the final. No doubt at all that Leicester, Southampton & either Everton or Leeds coming down, plus Ipswich spending fortunes coming up, will make it a much tougher league next year.

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Cov v Luton................what a spectacular feast of total football that will be...........it's just a shame I'm having my hair done that day !

Really don’t understand this comment from a Coventry perspective, Luton do play ugly football, Coventry definitely don’t, their midfield passing was very good last night & they possess the best striker in the league for me.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Really don’t understand this comment from a Coventry perspective, Luton do play ugly football, Coventry definitely don’t, their midfield passing was very good last night & they possess the best striker in the league for me.

I totally agree, but gyokeres decision making was poor come the end last night. Could have been a lot more comfortable with just a better choices on the several breaks they had in the last 15 minutes.

Oh, and to add to the doom and gloom over Us Vs Them ... just saw this
A short 5 years ago in Div 4

Screenshot2023-05-18at07_35_57.png.12878ace4e62c1c8beb8fd4139d9309a.png

My word there is a lot of jealousy/snobbishness on this thread. Both Coventry and Luton have been in the top division much more recently than us. It just shows that it you get it right on the pitch, any team from the Championship can get to the play off final like we did in 2008. Equally, it highlights that it has been a long time since we last got it right on the pitch (in the Championship). 
FWIW I think Luton will go up. They lost their manager and some players and showed that the club set up works well because they kept being competitive. Hopefully we will soon have our own season to celebrate. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

My word there is a lot of jealousy/snobbishness on this thread. Both Coventry and Luton have been in the top division much more recently than us. It just shows that it you get it right on the pitch, any team from the Championship can get to the play off final like we did in 2008. Equally, it highlights that it has been a long time since we last got it right on the pitch (in the Championship). 
FWIW I think Luton will go up. They lost their manager and some players and showed that the club set up works well because they kept being competitive. Hopefully we will soon have our own season to celebrate. 

Nothing wrong with being jealous of the success. If you're not jealous of it then what do you really want for City?

Snobbishness is different, I'm not sure I've seen too much of it on here. I don't for one second think we deserve it more than them! - If anyone does think that way, why?

Most just making the point that another two non parachute payment teams that have come up into the Championship more recently than us are now competing to play in the best division in the world. If anything, it gives me hope that we can do it. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Nothing wrong with being jealous of the success. If you're not jealous of it then what do you really want for City?

Snobbishness is different, I'm not sure I've seen too much of it on here. I don't for one second think we deserve it more than them! - If anyone does think that way, why?

Most just making the point that another two non parachute payment teams that have come up into the Championship more recently than us are now competing to play in the best division in the world. If anything, it gives me hope that we can do it. 

But both of them are aiming to reclaim a place in the top tier that they have previously held for considerably longer than Bristol City. And both Coventry and Luton have won a trophy or two.

In that respect we are the minnows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Coventry definitely do too. They are dirty, made 16 fouls last night and it should have been more and then they hit it long to Gykores. Their GK spent about 3 mins taking each goal kick and his play acting despite not getting a bang on the head was incredibly embarrassing. Horrible style of football.

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Coventry definitely do too. They are dirty, made 16 fouls last night and it should have been more and then they hit it long to Gykores. Their GK spent about 3 mins taking each goal kick and his play acting despite not getting a bang on the head was incredibly embarrassing. Horrible style of football.

Sometimes I wish we would get stuck in more even if it meant giving away fouls 

I don't think it's dirty, it's just playing hard and passionately in a massively important game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Sometimes I wish we would get stuck in more even if it meant giving away fouls 

I don't think it's dirty, it's just playing hard and passionately in a massively important game.

There is getting stuck in and then there is being a dirty team. Do I want to support a team where the GK rolls round faking a head injury? No chance. It's a form of cheating imo.

If Luton get promoted, would they be the first team to go from non-league to the top division since the Premier has been formed?

I agree with comments above, I am jealous, but not because I'm bitter or feel we're better than other teams, the results don't lie over the course of the season. My frustration is how we can't improve ourselves quickly enough without seeing other teams surpass us from lower down.

However I console myself that there are 19 other clubs in our division who probably feel the same way as what I do.

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

This is it for me, im not jealous of Cov or Luton as clubs, i am probably more annoyed that this season was there for the taking and we were not in any position to have a go at it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So what we really need at City is a manager who expects his players to use all the dark arts that are known.

While at City, we have someone who ,IMO, is a decent person in regards to how we play the game - not naive and unaware of the dark arts but nowhere near the way some clubs players behave.

And Mr Honest Lansdown has a high regard for Robins?

15 hours ago, bredwood said:

I’m pleased for Mark Robins. It’s been a long journey for him scrabbling around the lower divisions. Wasn’t he interviewed for the City job some years back?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-owner-to-make-decision-1701132

Bristol CITY owner Stephen Lansdown is flying in to complete the Championship strugglers’ chase for a new manager.

Lansdown is due to meet ex-Barnsley boss Mark Robins, 41, and will make a formal approach to speak with St Johnstone chief Derek McInnes, 40, in the next few days.

No jealousy or bitterness here either. All I will say is that if someone had asked me to pick out the two playoff finalists from that group of four teams, either at the beginning of the season or at the season's end, I would not have said Luton and Coventry.