IGNORED

Jonny Smith

Leveller

20 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I see Jonny Smith has just tweeted a fond farewell to Burton Albion fans.

Hints that he may be on his way back to Wrexham?

Wrexham will be looking to strengthen now they’re back in the EFL at last and with a decent budget compared to other L2 clubs..

Them recruit Smith is distinct possibility.

I quite fancy them to go straight thru L2 and reach L1 the following season.

Edited by Robbored

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wrexham will be looking to strengthen now they’re back in the EFL at last and with a decent budget compared to other L2 clubs..

Them recruit Smith is distinct possibility.

I quite fancy them to go straight thru L2 and reach L1 the following season.

‘Decent’ their budget in the national league was bigger than probably all but 4 or 5 teams in league 2 at minimum, their budget this season will blow league two out the water and if they don’t go up automatically they’ve screwed up 

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Betty Swallocks said:

Some fairytale story though….

One of the biggest lies in British football, don’t get me wrong the owners have been great for engaging with the community and what they’re looking to do for the club off the pitch but the idea it’s a fairytale or an underdog story is just plain lies when you’re paying a player 6k a week to play in the national league. They’re not the only ones, it’s how Stockport went up last season paying players 5.5k to drop down.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

One of the biggest lies in British football, don’t get me wrong the owners have been great for engaging with the community and what they’re looking to do for the club off the pitch but the idea it’s a fairytale or an underdog story is just plain lies when you’re paying a player 6k a week to play in the national league. They’re not the only ones, it’s how Stockport went up last season paying players 5.5k to drop down.

100% with everything you say, it’s the media spin on it which has become annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Where's the lie? The 'fairytale', such that it is, is that they were bought and put on this enormous international platform having previously been a tiny club constantly on brink of going out of business. Its not that they are some plucky underdog club defying the odds in national league. Nothing in the documentary ever gave off 'How on earth are little old Wrexham going to compete with the mighty Chesterfield!?!' vibes. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Unfortunately that’s the way it works, ask Manchester City? If we didn’t have Lansdown we would have a shit ground and be battling in League One with a bunch of semi alcoholic fatties! 

Wrexham got very lucky, Reynolds is not just wealthy through his private investments but media savvy and brilliant at marketing, hence the series. 

What Wrexham had was a rags to rags story in a forgotten about part of a different country and ‘The Oldest International Stadium’ in the world that has just got a bucket load of Welsh government money so Wales can play a few home games, where people actually speak effing Welsh. 

Those two guys did not throw a dart in a map! 

Personally I love it and hope the blokes Lansdown is negotiating with are Tom Hanks and Matt Damon!!! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Could be some interesting ins and outs at Wrexham this summer. Talk of bids for Mullin who might move on and if so his goals will have to be found from somewhere. 

Mullin won't go anywhere.

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

‘Decent’ their budget in the national league was bigger than probably all but 4 or 5 teams in league 2 at minimum, their budget this season will blow league two out the water and if they don’t go up automatically they’ve screwed up 

I’d be amazed if any L2 side had an equivalent budget.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Anyone would think that Wrexham are the only club to spend money.

It was annoying that Wrexham bought the title.

It was annoying when Chelsea bought the title.

It was annoying when Man City bought the title.

It was annoying when Lansdown didn't buy us the title...?

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

It was annoying that Wrexham bought the title.

It was annoying when Chelsea bought the title.

It was annoying when Man City bought the title.

It was annoying when Lansdown didn't buy us the title...?

We did buy the L1 title. Mark Little, Luke Ayling, Korey Smith, Luke Freeman, Kieran Agard were all the best or near best players at their previous clubs. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Where's the lie? The 'fairytale', such that it is, is that they were bought and put on this enormous international platform having previously been a tiny club constantly on brink of going out of business. Its not that they are some plucky underdog club defying the odds in national league. Nothing in the documentary ever gave off 'How on earth are little old Wrexham going to compete with the mighty Chesterfield!?!' vibes. 

For me it’s not ‘fairytale’ when you pump a clubs playing budget with huge investment it’s merely meeting expectations 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We did buy the L1 title. Mark Little, Luke Ayling, Korey Smith, Luke Freeman, Kieran Agard were all the best or near best players at their previous clubs. 

We sold Sam Baldock for £2m to balance the books, this is such a myth. Little was a free transfer, by the way, Smith cost £300k plus a player we didn’t want.

Signing other team’s best players at cost neutral isn’t “buying the title” it’s called smart recruitment.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We sold Sam Baldock for £2m to balance the books, this is such a myth. Little was a free transfer, by the way, Smith cost £300k plus a player we didn’t want.

Signing other team’s best players at cost neutral isn’t “buying the title” it’s called smart recruitment.

Exactly.

Karl Robinson (MK at the time) used to bleat on about our quality of players and buying the league, but essentially a combo of smart recruitment to run a small squad (tight knit squad) backed up by some loans.

The core of the squad was:

Fielding

Ayling Flint Williams

Little Pack / Elliott Smith Freeman Bryan

Agard Wilbraham / Emmanuel-Thomas

Pretty much 13 players covered by:

Tavernier, Saville, M.Smith, Cunningham and Kane

Less than 20 players really, whereas other teams were wasting money on 35 man squads.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I do agree but I guarantee we were also paying the best wages in the league at that time.

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

More than Sheff U? Really?

If I recall correctly our wage spending was slightly higher than Sheffield United that season; as we were only in our second season in League One - whereas Sheffield United were in their fourth. Low fees meant we could afford the like of Ayling and Freeman on longer and bigger contracts for nominal expenditure, so we did indeed offset the Baldock funds on running costs due to the stadium situation.

21 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’d be amazed if any L2 side had an equivalent budget.

I'd also be amazed if any League 2 size had anywhere near their turnover - their shirt sales and sponsorship must be huge for their relative level.