IGNORED

Eliasson next season

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

And we had "Dr Feelbad" leading the medical team that tried to get that lot fit.

Afobe was the real loss. His loss made a massive difference to where the team was going, it was too little, too late by the time he returned. 

Yes, Afobe brought something different, another level. However not only individually but our threat fell drastically once he was out- but the knock on effect for Palmer to name but one.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

LJ said at a fans forum at AG he found eliasson by wyscout (or something similar) whilst on his laptop lying on the sofa!! and think he was signed without anyone watching him live as well

Really?  Never knew that.  I still feel MA has generally been the main culprit.  LJ had far more investment in building a successful team, and more to lose if he wasn't successful in that.  I have no idea what incentives were driving MA, but making the club a financial success had got to more relevant for him.  

14 minutes ago, Searles said:

At the time I thought we had a real player on our hands, but in hindsight I think he was very limited. Very good at mopping up play and passing it on but other than that I think he offered very little. Probably why he is in Serie B. I think he had decent physical attributes in that he had energy and good fitness. Other than that not sure what he has about his game tbh.

Might have seen better in a genuine and consistent CM 3. Mop up and pass on can be limited in a two, whereas in a 3..there is a wider range, better balance.

Hypothetically:

Bentley (Maenpaa)

Hunt (Pereira) Kalas Baker DaSilva

Smith Nagy(Massengo)

Weimann  Brownhill Eliasson

Afobe

What may have been?

Okay O'Dowda sort of plummeted that year but the bench strength in theory of the other one out of Bentley/Maenpaa, Hunt/Pereira, Moore was possibly hard done by a bit, Rowe, pre sharp downward turn, first reserve out of Nagy and Massengo, O'Dowda, Palmer (In the right shape) Diedhiou. Forget when exactly Williams joined?

It's a little lopsided in parts but I do believe the shape might habe suited us better. Paterson was on loan at Derby of course.

3 hours ago, Red Skin said:

A lot of blame being put of LJ for signing Eliasson as a vanity project without knowing where to play him.   I'm not convinced it was LJ that instigated a lot of this. 

My reckoning is that it was MA treating the club and a hothouse for turning promising young players into expensive sales a few years down the line without any DoF or philosophy of the type of football or system we wanted to play.  (MA's contract maybe incentivised this or it was pure vanity, I'm not sure which).  The irony being that without such a system players aren't able to develop and realise their potential to achieve those sales. 

I'd have loved to see CO'D and Eliasson in a front three with someone like Conway through the middle.  Both players I feel had all the freedom of playing expansive attacking football coached out of them at a critical stage in their development.  

Whoever was responsible for signing him, he was seemingly signed without a plan for how he would fit into our team.

It’s an era that I’m glad to see the back of. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Whoever was responsible for signing him, he was seemingly signed without a plan for how he would fit into our team.

It’s an era that I’m glad to see the back of. 

We went through three years of this. A squad full of decent/good players which would not or could not play together. 

• Like 3

Niclas and AEK have only gone and won the Greek cup as well on Wednesday.

First season in their 'new' stadium.......built on the footprint of the old Nikos Goumas ground at Nea Filadelfia.  Can't wait to visit the ground next season to rekindle old friendships, especially wih my personal beer sponsors in Monastiraki  ? ?

So, when the G*s move into their brand spankng new 'Greengrocerstad' in a few weeks, we must be expecting similar achievements  ?

• Like 1

On 16/05/2023 at 13:38, Fammyfan said:

He was a great signing but at the wrong time and that’s the frustrating thing as we would have got a lot more out of him in our current set up.

That being said, he was a decent signing, brought him in for £2m and sold him for £4m with plenty of assists from the bench.

I thought we sold him for 2 million? 

3 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I liked Eliasson and used to be frustrated and annoyed when LJ wouldn’t give him 90 minutes. 
One season he had the top assists in the Championship - despite only playing half the game as a sub. That is very impressive but obviously not to LJ. 
We wasted his talent imho. 

3rd highest behind Pereira and Wallace IIRC.

All the same that is pretty good, especially as you say with a relative lack of game time or consistent game time. Double figures assists at this level aren't so easy to come by in a 46 game League season (ie disregarding Cups or playoffs).

• Like 1

On 28/05/2023 at 10:17, bcfcredandwhite said:

I liked Eliasson and used to be frustrated and annoyed when LJ wouldn’t give him 90 minutes. 
One season he had the top assists in the Championship - despite only playing half the game as a sub. That is very impressive but obviously not to LJ. 
We wasted his talent imho. 

I found it crazy that he never got an offer from lower Prem or just relegated Champ team, ridiculous amount of assist and always had a good work rate and loads of recoveries. Only had 12 months left on his deal too if I remember properly 

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I found it crazy that he never got an offer from lower Prem or just relegated Champ team, ridiculous amount of assist and always had a good work rate and loads of recoveries. Only had 12 months left on his deal too if I remember properly 

Because he was always out of position!!! ?

Without the ball he had no idea where he was meant to be.  Ask Jack Hunt! ?

O’Dowda was similar, never quite in position, so had to make challenges.

Eliasson was a one-trick pony….albeit that one trick was wonderfully delivered.  Shame our 6’3” brute of a striker was always on his heels!

Happy days back then ???

• Flames 1

On 16/05/2023 at 14:13, Mr Popodopolous said:

Might have seen better in a genuine and consistent CM 3. Mop up and pass on can be limited in a two, whereas in a 3..there is a wider range, better balance.

Hypothetically:

Bentley (Maenpaa)

Hunt (Pereira) Kalas Baker DaSilva

Smith Nagy(Massengo)

Weimann  Brownhill Eliasson

Afobe

What may have been?

Okay O'Dowda sort of plummeted that year but the bench strength in theory of the other one out of Bentley/Maenpaa, Hunt/Pereira, Moore was possibly hard done by a bit, Rowe, pre sharp downward turn, first reserve out of Nagy and Massengo, O'Dowda, Palmer (In the right shape) Diedhiou. Forget when exactly Williams joined?

It's a little lopsided in parts but I do believe the shape might habe suited us better. Paterson was on loan at Derby of course.

I’ll have to pull you up on that, O Dowda wasn’t decent throughout his whole career here, he should never of been given an contract extension.

The stats are simply there to prove it aswell. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting that even though Lewis Dunk missed out through injury that Adam Webster was still only named as a sub & didn’t get on.

Think the likelihood of him moving on & us getting anything further for him is long past now.

He was awful in a recent game. West Ham, I think.

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I’ll have to pull you up on that, O Dowda wasn’t decent throughout his whole career here, he should never of been given an contract extension.

I just looked at some more stats for o dowda, 

Last Year at Cardiff, 39 games played, 3 goals, 3 assists, that’s dreadful for a winger. 

Year before for us, 21 games, 1 goal, 0 assists. 

Absolutely dreadful 

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

He certainly shouldn't have been a regular starter although I think one year he got 4 goals and 4 assists in the League which isn't too bad.