IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

38 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If we were to get a player who had twice got promotion from this division, who had played in the EPL, who is still only 29, on a free transfer, and whose name isn't Joe Bryan, would we get these sorts on here moaning ?

Pretty much my post the other day.

• Like 5

• Admin
1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

If we were to get a player who had twice got promotion from this division, who had played in the EPL, who is still only 29, on a free transfer, and whose name isn't Joe Bryan, would we get these sorts on here moaning ?

I’m sure if I could be bothered to look, that sort of profile player exists. If we could identify that name and say they’re willing to come here and fit in our wage structure I’m sure the majority would be hell yeah!

Tbf, shame on Fevs for not already doing so ?

13 hours ago, Bobbie said:

If you re-read what I said, I didn’t make any allegations, I hypothesised a potential outcome. I also said I didn’t definitely think that would happen. My point is, generally speaking, I would prefer us to sign young, hungry players who are motivated to forge a successful career and are on the up. Not players who are at the latter end of their career who have, potentially, already achieved much of what they wanted to within their careers. 
I loved Joe Bryan, but we won’t necessarily get that same player back- I very much hope we do and my fears are unfounded. 

As I've mentioned a few times, I'm really excited about Joe coming back, but I also think your concerns are perfectly valid. I think there is an element of a gamble in terms of fitness and how many games we'll get put of him. 

I think the fact that he's likely to be a good influence and there's no fee involved makes it a straightforward option in my opinion. 

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with yourself and others having concerns about this one, and none of us know how it'll play out. He might play a major role, or spend most of his time on the sidelines like at Nice. Only time will tell!

Edited by mozo
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

As I've mentioned a few times, I'm really excited about Joe coming back, but I also think your concerns are perfectly valid. I think there is an element of a gamble in terms of fitness and how many games we'll get put of him. 

I think the fact that he's likely to be a good influence and there's no fee involved makes it a straightforward option in my opinion. 

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with yourself and others having concerns about this one, and none of us know how it'll play out. He might play a major role, or spend most of his time on the sidelines like at Nice. Only time will tell!

No signing is guaranteed, is it?  But it just feels like some are glossing over / ignoring the obvious quality he has by overstating hypothetical things / possible future events happening like coming back for an easy life, he might get injured, etc.  On that basis, should we never sign any player???

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Bobbie said:

If you re-read what I said, I didn’t make any allegations, I hypothesised a potential outcome. I also said I didn’t definitely think that would happen. My point is, generally speaking, I would prefer us to sign young, hungry players who are motivated to forge a successful career and are on the up. Not players who are at the latter end of their career who have, potentially, already achieved much of what they wanted to within their careers. 
I loved Joe Bryan, but we won’t necessarily get that same player back- I very much hope we do and my fears are unfounded. 

If a club only ever signed those players they would go nowhere. 

You can't just solely have young inexperienced players, you need a handful of them alongside experienced pro's who are much older.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, Ian M said:

I’m sure if I could be bothered to look, that sort of profile player exists. If we could identify that name and say they’re willing to come here and fit in our wage structure I’m sure the majority would be hell yeah!

Tbf, shame on Fevs for not already doing so ?

It's (almost) already happened at least once recently. Apart from the free transfer, the profile pretty much fits Kalas when he joined us.

10 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

It's (almost) already happened at least once recently. Apart from the free transfer, the profile pretty much fits Kalas when he joined us.

And Bryan has more PL experience than TK!!!

(conveniently ignoring international exp.)

Edited by Davefevs

27 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

If a club only ever signed those players they would go nowhere. 

You can't just solely have young inexperienced players, you need a handful of them alongside experienced pro's who are much older.

Also, it is glossed over that Joe Bryan is a successful Bristol City youth product. What better example for those coming through? 

If we shed Dasilva which looks increasingly likely (I am sure his offered contract is much lower than he was on previously), and perhaps we've decided that Joe Bryan has more upside than Currie. Having Bryan and Pring for LB (with maybe Currie as cover) is good. Competition is vital and having a healthy squad size - that Pring can play CB in a pinch and Joe Bryan can play further up the pinch successfully too (look at how Mark Sykes has been used by Nigel, he likes those sorts of players) then I think that there is no way in which this doesn't make us better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bobbie said:

May I present the following evidence.

Exhibit A: Matty James
Exhibit B: Andi Weimann
Exhibit C : Nakhi Wells
Exhibit D: Andy King (before anyone argues this one, ask the academy kids coming through this season what they think...)

The defence rests its case your honour

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 15

I will give four cheers if Bryan returns, which I am pretty sure he will, given what has been reported.

What a boost that will be.  Believe Nige will reinvigorate his football skills too

How wonderful it would be if a Bristolian led us to the Prem

Trust in Nige

36 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Exhibit D: Andy King (before anyone argues this one, ask the academy kids coming through this season what they think...)

And if we are honest its quite possible that King may not continue in a playing role beyond this summer and I wouldn't be overly surprised if someone like Weimann left us, so it's vitally important to replace that experience in the squad. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

You are correct with those above. One could also now include Naismith and Cornick as those in the middle/latter part of career. Joe Bryan and fit in here

Then come those who aren't so young anymore like O'Leary and Vyner

Then those in early 20's signed from other clubs with a year or three in the lower leagues. Tanner, Sykes, Atkinson and Mehmeti.

And the Academy boys.

I think it's a good spread with maybe one more around 29/31 and another early twenties.

A good squad.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I think it’s now critical that Kalas signs 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I think it’s now critical that Kalas signs 

i don't, I don;t actually think we will miss him, injurys are catching up with him, and unless he does a wienman (take a massive wage cut) then we are better off looking else where,

As for Bryan, its a no brainer, the guy is a an elete level left back in the championship, he is a great left midfielder in the championship and he would also do a job in the centre of the midfield imo,

• Like 2

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i don't, I don;t actually think we will miss him, injurys are catching up with him, and unless he does a wienman (take a massive wage cut) then we are better off looking else where,

As for Bryan, its a no brainer, the guy is a an elete level left back in the championship, he is a great left midfielder in the championship and he would also do a job in the centre of the midfield imo,

Kalas:

2 promotions to the PL? ✅

Played in the PL? ✅

Still only 29? ❌ *

On a free transfer? ✅

Name isn’t Joe Bryan? ✅

*ᵀᵘʳⁿᵉᵈ ³⁰ ˡᵃˢᵗ ʷᵉᵉᵏ

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

If we weren't sure we needed him, yes

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No signing is guaranteed, is it?  But it just feels like some are glossing over / ignoring the obvious quality he has by overstating hypothetical things / possible future events happening like coming back for an easy life, he might get injured, etc.  On that basis, should we never sign any player???

Come on, @Davefevs, I'm not that shallow in my analysis, even if I can't understand your graphs. It's more a case of how he fits in the team, in the shape - we have a LB who has been exceptional this season, do we really want a backup that the fans will be clamouring for? And whose wages will likely be pretty hefty? And who's 29 (not old, but). 

I just don't see how JB fits into the whole team. However, he is a good player, and by all accounts an excellent young man, so fingers crossed it works out. But I think he'd want to start, so where does that leave Pring?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I don't think any of the posts I've seen raising concerns or doubts on this are trying to persuade anyone who thinks this is a great move that they are wrong. It's just an opinion. Which is what forums are for. It's not a them against us thing.

Stop being reasonable, this is a forum!

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Come on, @Davefevs, I'm not that shallow in my analysis, even if I can't understand your graphs. It's more a case of how he fits in the team, in the shape - we have a LB who has been exceptional this season, do we really want a backup that the fans will be clamouring for? And whose wages will likely be pretty hefty? And who's 29 (not old, but). 

I just don't see how JB fits into the whole team. However, he is a good player, and by all accounts an excellent young man, so fingers crossed it works out. But I think he'd want to start, so where does that leave Pring?

Heard he’s being brought in primarily to play around the middle of the park ie to the left of a midfield 3. 

Like McCrorie though, having more players who can play a number a positions has got to be a positive. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
44 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

We’re clearly operating within our means still which limits our budget, reading between the lines from Nigel’s interviews, it’s the two signings then see what happens with outbound transfers. With that in mind, if Nigel is using that limited budget to sign JB then he’ll have a plan that doesn’t involve him being backup…. Or relegating one of our best performers in 22/23 to that role either.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No signing is guaranteed but one doubt surrounding this one is his recent appearance record. The last time he had 20 games in a season was 2019-20. I'm not saying that's an issue for me but I don't think it's overly generous to grant others an acceptance that their concerns have some foundation. 

There's enough doubt regards which Joe Bryan were getting to make both sides valid imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

That leaves Pring fighting for a starting place like everybody else. Competition within the squad for places is good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SBB said:

That leaves Pring fighting for a starting place like everybody else. Competition within the squad for places is good. 

I swear some of our fans think we can get through a 46 game (+cup) season with 16 players...

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2