IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

12 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

The discussions have been going on for months, that's how things work when a player is coming to the end of a contract and knows he won't be getting a new deal. 

Of course they take a long time, all transfers do - that's not evidence of stalling though, is it.

The McCrorie transfer has been going on for weeks too - we haven't even announced it yet so why don't we all PANIC PANIC he's stalling, stalling I tell you.

If Bryan chooses to play for someone else, so what? There's plenty of other good players out there.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

As disappointing as Bryan potentially ‘not coming home’ seems to be and taking the emotion out of it - Roberts might be the better option anyway. 
Much younger, potential sell on value, better recent fitness record, presumably cheaper. 
Not forgetting Pring has become an absolute beast. 

Edited by Bo Andersons dietician
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

He’s not exactly Andy King coming to the end of his career is he?! 

No exactly.   I straight out don’t believe we would do it tbh.  Not enough money compared to other teams - quite possibly or even probable. 2 years instead of 3 years elsewhere.   Again possible.   But 1 year? Not for me. 

• Like 9

Interesting reading fans suddenly decide they didn't want Bryan, wouldn't have fit in, too old, not good enough etc.

It's a big disappointment to have potentially missed out on a player with Bryan's experience and quality. Based on his past decision making it's not a surprise unfortunately.

• Like 1

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Of course they take a long time - that's not evidence of stalling though, is it.

The McCrorie transfer has been going on for weeks too - we haven't even announced it yet so why don't we all PANIC PANIC he's stalling, stalling I tell you.

If Bryan chooses to play for someone else, so what? There's plenty of other good players out there.  

I havent followed your dispute about stalling, but... the narrative in this case is that people have been saying/hinting that Bryan was a done deal for weeks now. Then, as we eagerly anticipated the announcement, in the past few day the narrative changed. Now, rumblings that the deal is off. 

19 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Who the F is in charge of negotiations - can't imagine we'd ever be a consideration on that basis

No wonder we're the biggest club never to have played in the Prem

I don't believe we only offered a 1 year deal. Nonsense statement to bash the club with. I say this with as much authority as the poster of the original suggestion!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Interesting reading fans suddenly decide they didn't want Bryan, wouldn't have fit in, too old, not good enough etc.

It's a big disappointment to have potentially missed out on a player with Bryan's experience and quality. Based on his past decision making it's not a surprise unfortunately.

I would’ve been very happy with Bryan but it’s not the end of the world if he has decided he’d get a better deal elsewhere. Roberts does look a really good deal for us though

• Like 2

Just now, Mr Hankey said:

I'm not sure if he is much of a City fan, nor a fan of football in general. Same with Bobby Reid, he started his career with us but is a Liverpool fan.

You're probably right. But if it was me... ?

• Like 1

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Are there other good players out there?

Of course, it's hardly a season ending problem. There aren't many versatile players who've come through our academy with promotion and Premier League experience who are available on a free transfer. It's disappointing if he's chosen to go elsewhere, it's not a big surprise.

We may well sign an out and out winger instead, or put those wages towards a number 10 and carry on with Bell and Mehmeti out wide, and be better off. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

Where did you hear that out of interest?  Just doesn’t seem right to me.   Why would we?  It’s not a serious offer. 

As much as I ******* love JB….I can see where the club is coming from. He’s only played 20 odd games in the last three seasons, and has been out injured for Nice a fair few times this season (albeit all brief spells). Maybe some risks came up in a medical?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

Of course, it's hardly a season ending problem. There aren't many versatile players who've come through our academy with promotion and Premier League experience who are available on a free transfer. It's disappointing if he's chosen to go elsewhere, it's not a big surprise.

We may well sign an out and out winger instead, or put those wages towards a number 10 and carry on with Bell and Mehmeti out wide, and be better off. 

Life is full of disappointments. It's how you react to them that counts - in this case, by signing someone even better! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Yep, imho he would be a cracking signing / would’ve been a cracking signing if latest is true.

But…

…it just changes the focus of recruitment.

It’s pretty common that you don’t get your top target, especially in this league with the disparity of financial resources.

It might also change the dynamic of other signings too.  I still don’t think Bryan was coming to play LB (because of Pring), but it perhaps means more focus on a Left Back again, ie rumours re Roberts this morning.

OTIB doesn’t need to get all bitter though.  Shit happens.

5 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Yeah, gist of my post above…you beat me to it, and explained it better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

As much as I ******* love JB….I can see where the club is coming from. He’s only played 20 odd games in the last three seasons, and has been out injured for Nice a fair few times this season (albeit all brief spells). Maybe some risks came up in a medical?

Possibly.  But if that was the case I’d expect us just not to offer.  Expecting a player at his age to accept 1 year is ludicrous unless it’s an extreme case such as Eriksen at Brentford. And why would the speculation have been so rife over so many weeks? No, for me he’s just had a better offer financially, probably with a better placed club currently and that’ll be it.  Would’ve loved him here but it’s not the be all and end all and rather we had 100% commited players here and if Joeys not that then fair play to him. No harm done.   

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Possibly.  But if that was the case I’d expect us just not to offer.  Expecting a player at his age to accept 1 year is ludicrous unless it’s an extreme case such as Eriksen at Brentford. And why would the speculation have been so rife over so many weeks? No, for me he’s just had a better offer financially, probably with a better placed club currently and that’ll be it.  Would’ve loved him here but it’s not the be all and end all and rather we had 100% commited players here and if Joeys not that then fair play to him. No harm done.   

We wouldn't offer a 29 year old a 1 year deal we'd offer 2 with an option or a 3 year deal

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, imho he would be a cracking signing / would’ve been a cracking signing if latest is true.

But…

…it just changes the focus of recruitment.

It’s pretty common that you don’t get your top target, especially in this league with the disparity of financial resources.

It might also change the dynamic of other signings too.  I still don’t think Bryan was coming to play LB (because of Pring), but it perhaps means more focus on a Left Back again, ie rumours re Roberts this morning.

OTIB doesn’t need to get all bitter though.  Shit happens.

Yeah, gist of my post above…you beat me to it, and explained it better.

Like I said in the other thread, if not for Bryan we'd all be happy with Roberts.

It's a sensible signing and probably a better long-term deal with the club.

I'm content, it's a good bit of business.

If Bryan signs for Cardiff though, he's absolutely dead to me and I hope he gets all sorts at AG.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

When you put it like that it's something of a surprise we were in for him in the first place.

If it wasn't ex-City favourite Joe Bryan would we be keen to sign a 29 year old with such a record over the last 3 years?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

When you put it like that it's something of a surprise we were in for him in the first place.

If it wasn't ex-City favourite Joe Bryan would we be keen to sign a 29 year old with such a record over the last 3 years?

Tbf Matty James had had horrific injury troubles over years when we signed him too. I think you can’t disregard the former, ex City favourite who is absolute freakish athlete, with family very local and would fit our team perfectly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Put like that... he does sound like a Cardiff signing.

1 hour ago, Jeez said:

Who the F is in charge of negotiations - can't imagine we'd ever be a consideration on that basis

No wonder we're the biggest club never to have played in the Prem

Not come across Andy and his relentless sunny optimism and positivity before ,then?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mozo said:

If you're a City fan and minted, there's only one choice.

ex-footballers, even those that have had decent spells in the Prem on big money, are an awful long time retired. He's a clever lad, he'll know that he needs to maximise what might be his last decent move/contract and I'd easily expect clubs a bit more desperate/flamboyant with their cash than us would be prepared to push the boat a bit further than we would for him. City fan or not, this is going to be a transaction for him, not some rose-tinted return "home" 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Well a few fans on this thread raised exactly those concerns and it's understandable imo. 

Personally, I think he's worth at least a two year deal, and I don't understand why he wouldn't have found a way to come to City. But I'm completely bias for sentimental reasons!

Such a shame!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

ex-footballers, even those that have had decent spells in the Prem on big money, are an awful long time retired. He's a clever lad, he'll know that he needs to maximise what might be his last decent move/contract and I'd easily expect clubs a bit more desperate/flamboyant with their cash than us would be prepared to push the boat a bit further than we would for him. City fan or not, this is going to be a transaction for him, not some rose-tinted return "home" 

Well there was a big debate on here about whether Joey even cared about money, and that might still not be the factor (probably is).

But yeah I can't take my red-tinted glasses off when I think about this potential signing.

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

it's not always about money either, perhaps the club who he is considering over us has better prospects in the shorter term?

• Like 1