IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

From memory, someone I worked with lived near him in his final year here. I remember them intimating that he wasn't too bothered about City. Could be rubbish if course, maybe not too bothered isn't right but this was post January window- wasn't wildly passionate etc. Did be turn down a new deal here in 2018 or did I dream it?

That was certainly the impression he gave with his performances post-January that year. Mind you, he wasn't the only one. 

I genuinely feel him not signing is a blessing in disguise. It just didn’t feel right imo. I understand the need for experienced pros to be added to the squad to help the youngsters but JB never really seemed the type to organise (such as Naismith, James, Dickie) or have an eye on becoming a future manager (King). Don’t get me wrong he seems a decent guy and I’m sure wouldn’t have been a bad influence but it just didn’t seem to fit our recruitment model. 
Best of luck to him wherever he ends up. He will forever be a city legend for those goals against Rovers and United - but let’s leave it there

• Like 2

• Admin
7 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Apologies I didn’t realise we had special treatment and could sign players outside of the transfer window. Asshat.

To be fair we have already signed players this summer, but in response to your original post you were correct about the deal being verbally agreed but things have now changed 

Personally I think it's for the best, never like a player going back to a club after so long away 

31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That was certainly the impression he gave with his performances post-January that year. Mind you, he wasn't the only one. 

We did have a reasonably thin squad but then again we should have made the playoffs. Not the only one as you say.

27 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Think a lot of people confuse not bothering and exhaustion/overworking 

Yeah that can he true but it in some ways isn't such a big excuse.

Burnley 2008-09 had an identical Cup run to us albeit 3 rather than 5 PL sides and a couple more FA Cup games too.

It actually propelled them off to compete in, and win the playoffs in May 2009.

I do believe not making the playoffs from the position we were in on Boxing Day 2017..hmm.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Watching them then I thought that following their performances in the cup and up to xmas one or two imagined that there would be alot of interest in the January window. I wondered whether they lost their mojo after that? 

10 minutes ago, Midred said:

Watching them then I thought that following their performances in the cup and up to xmas one or two imagined that there would be alot of interest in the January window. I wondered whether they lost their mojo after that? 

Oh I think both him and Reid knew they'd be off in the summer, and that probably goes someway to explaining things. Obviously a couple of poor/woeful loan signings in the shape of Kent and Diony didn't help either. 

• Like 1

Any perceived lack of effort from any of the players the second half of the season (Reid continued to be exceptional so this certainly wouldn’t apply to him) still doesn’t come close as an explanation to our form falling off a cliff compared to the manager changing the team completely.

No centre forwards, a high press high energy team suddenly defending deep and having Diedhiou lumber about up front. Such genius moves as Diedhiou and Diony upfront away at Cardiff, then my personal ‘favourite’ Diedhiou and Djuric up top and Bobby shoved on the left wing.

Three months prior we were playing excellent, fast counter attack football, then suddenly I’m watching us play ‘football’ that is nothing more than smashing it as high and far as possible while our best player does shuttle runs up and down the left flank. Genius.

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Any perceived lack of effort from any of the players the second half of the season (Reid continued to be exceptional so this certainly wouldn’t apply to him) still doesn’t come close as an explanation to our form falling off a cliff compared to the manager changing the team completely.

No centre forwards, a high press high energy team suddenly defending deep and having Diedhiou lumber about up front. Such genius moves as Diedhiou and Diony upfront away at Cardiff, then my personal ‘favourite’ Diedhiou and Djuric up top and Bobby shoved on the left wing.

Three months prior we were playing excellent, fast counter attack football, then suddenly I’m watching us play ‘football’ that is nothing more than smashing it as high and far as possible while our best player does shuttle runs up and down the left flank. Genius.

We had a couple of games which showed the excellent fast counter attacking football but only in phases. Mostly not.

Norwich at home still has the same characteristics but we lost.

QPR at home 11 v 11 we were still somewhat dominant,  Baker red and we had to adapt.

Bolton away to some extent, we had some aspects of dominance but not in others.

Sunderland at home first half.

Leeds away first half.

Sheffield Wednesday at home albeit they were injury hit.

Thereafter barely any. That was it, our Cup games aside post say Wolves at home.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We had a couple of games which showed the excellent fast counter attacking football but only in phases. Mostly not.

Norwich at home still has the same characteristics but we lost.

QPR at home 11 v 11 we were still somewhat dominant,  Baker red and we had to adapt.

Bolton away to some extent, we had some aspects of dominance but not in others.

Sunderland at home first half.

Leeds away first half.

Sheffield Wednesday at home albeit they were injury hit.

Thereafter barely any. That was it, our Cup games aside post say Wolves at home.

I’ve said on several occasions, it was the Wolves match that killed us.

Poor management decisions, coupled with Fielding’s red card and the Cruyff turn.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, George Rs said:

Think a lot of people confuse not bothering and exhaustion/overworking 

Or, not bothering and the somewhat deflating and demotivating atmosphere of a club run by people who don't quite know what they are doing/ain't all they’re cracked up to be (by their own self-cracking). A club having a January transfer window such as ours in Jan 18, for example.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’ve said on several occasions, it was the Wolves match that killed us.

Poor management decisions, coupled with Fielding’s red card and the Cruyff turn.

It was, but I also just find it slightly insane to blame 1 game on an entire half of a season worth of games thereafter..

A big punch on the nose for sure, but not the silver bullet imo. We managed to get back up for it to put in amazing performances in the Man City games a few weeks later. Comfy win against QPR with 10, 3-0 up against Sunderland at HT, 4-0 win against Sheff Wed. 

I think LJ just massively over complicated it and shat the bed a bit, rather than anything else.  Can 20 minutes in one game really mean the next 23 totally capitulate…?

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

That was the sliding doors moment when Fielding got a red, we were 1-0 up and flying and when that happened you just knew it!

Much as I liked Frankie he made a heat of the moment crazy error, should have let him score rather than bring him down.

Getting thumped by Villa a few days later sealed our fate in many ways.

I truly believe that a lot of people at the club got carried away after the cup game, ‘ Premier League team in waiting ‘ etc.

That said, I think we were playing out of our skins beforehand and didn’t have the depth to keep it up. The January window was the time to press on and we get Diony and Kent.  

The later was a disappointment, he clearly didn’t want to be anywhere near AG and that should have been clear to all involved in the signing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Much as I liked Frankie he made a heat of the moment crazy error, should have let him score rather than bring him down.

Getting thumped by Villa a few days later sealed our fate in many ways.

I truly believe that a lot of people at the club got carried away after the cup game, ‘ Premier League team in waiting ‘ etc.

That said, I think we were playing out of our skins beforehand and didn’t have the depth to keep it up. The January window was the time to press on and we get Diony and Kent.  

The later was a disappointment, he clearly didn’t want to be anywhere near AG and that should have been clear to all involved in the signing.

We should have gone back to playing Flint at the back. Unbelievably he was left up front even after we had taken the lead.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

We should have gone back to playing Flint at the back. Unbelievably he was left up front even after we had taken the lead.

Should’ve never moved him up in the first place imho.

11v10….0-0, just keep tiring them out, and see if you get a goal.  Instead of getting a frustrating 0-0, we lost!

• Flames 1

34 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Mate of mine who's a Millwall fan reckons they're in for Bryan! I told him to behave but he was having none of it. Now that would be a odd move. 

I suppose by saying he'd prefer to play overseas, he could've just meant the River Thames...

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Percy reckons Joe Bryan has a medical at Millwall lined up this month.

Truly bizarre.

Yup, link here:

Really odd situation. Wanting to try a new lifestyle abroad totally understandable.

Realise Millwall finished just outside playoffs - debatable if they can hit that again so footballing reasons I’m not sure they’re the best he could do.  They’re also not renowned as big payers so doesn’t seem financial.

Might be that he just wants to stay in London I suppose.

I am assuming his move abroad didn't quite materialise? I think the likely situation is that Pearson probably pulled the plug on this one fairly quickly so we could move on to sign Roberts. Shame, but if he wasn't fully committed then i'm glad we moved on (of course this is just an assumption).

Edited by Mr Hankey
  • Like 4