IGNORED

Pitch invasions

Robbored

Interesting discussion on TalkSport with Jim White and Simon Jordan on the subject of pitch invasions.

Jim White said that fans should obey the rules and simply not do it - there speaks a journalist. SJ hit the nail on the head by agreeing that’s it’s wrong and that it’s the home club that are con-sequenced but then said - how do you stop it? and added that fans are in a excited frenzy and pointed out the pitch invasion at Hillsborough last night - there speaks a former club owner who understands the fans.

He reckoned that even a militia couldn’t stop 50k excited and frenzied fans.

So? is there an answer?

I think it's the acts of those on the pitch, rather than the invasion itself per se that is the harm. If people continue acting like morons, when entering the FoP, then expect the authorities to come down harder on everyone. Some personal responsiblity needs to be taken, and therefore don't be surprised that a few numbnuts make it worse for the majority if officials/players etc continue to be attacked in their workplace.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I think it's the acts of those on the pitch, rather than the invasion itself per se that is the harm. If people continue acting like morons, when entering the FoP, then expect the authorities to come down harder on everyone. Some personal responsiblity needs to be taken, and therefore don't be surprised that a few numbnuts make it worse for the majority if officials/players etc continue to be attacked in their workplace.

The fact that some so say supporters cannot seem to watch a game without either being p***sed out of their head with a nose full of powder makes sensible and predictable behaviour just about impossible.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I think it's the acts of those on the pitch, rather than the invasion itself per se that is the harm. If people continue acting like morons, when entering the FoP, then expect the authorities to come down harder on everyone. Some personal responsibility needs to be taken, and therefore don't be surprised that a few numbnuts make it worse for the majority if officials/players etc continue to be attacked in their workplace.

Yep and that point was mentioned but the question remains - clubs get fined when it happens in their stadium so how do clubs stop it? Clearly the return of fencing fans in is not an option.

Edited by Robbored

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep and that point was mentioned but the question remains - clubs get fined when it happens in their stadium so                 how do clubs stop it? Clearly the return of fencing fans in is not an option.

If the clubs are going to start facing harsher sanctions e.g., games behind closed doors, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will find ways of ensuring that mass invasions don't occur. I think it's a different issue to the occasional 'rogue' pitch invader, and we could all do a decent enough job of predicting the high-risk fixtures (e.g., 2nd leg playoff games, where the home team looks like they will progress), where warnings/resources targetting the above could be enhanced even further.

Not an easy issue to address for sure, but when are points deductions/closed stadiums sanctions actually imposed for such behaviours in the EFL, I can't recall any circumstances. So, arguably, there is plenty left in the 'sanction toolkit' for the authorities to utilise before entirely throwing our collective hands up in despair.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep and that point was mentioned but the question remains - clubs get fined when it happens in their stadium so how do clubs stop it? Clearly the return of fencing fans in is not an option.

Are there actual examples of fines being imposed for good natured mass pitch invasions?

The likes of the one where Billy Sharp was assaulted are obviously a different kettle of fish entirely.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Interesting discussion on TalkSport with Jim White and Simon Jordan on the subject of pitch invasions.

Jim White said that fans should obey the rules and simply not do it - there speaks a journalist. SJ hit the nail on the head by agreeing that’s it’s wrong and that it’s the home club that are con-sequenced but then said - how do you stop it? and added that fans are in a excited frenzy and pointed out the pitch invasion at Hillsborough last night - there speaks a former club owner who understands the fans.

He reckoned that even a militia couldn’t stop 50k excited and frenzied fans.

So? is there an answer?

I'm torn on the subject,

Pitch invasions for results like last night (Wednesday 5-1 Peterborough) looks great and I'm all for,

Pitch invasions for finishing 14th in the league or getting into the 4th round of the FA cup are tinpot and shouldn't happen whatsoever,

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I'm torn on the subject,

Pitch invasions for results like last night (Wednesday 5-1 Peterborough) looks great and I'm all for,

Pitch invasions for finishing 14th in the league or getting into the 4th round of the FA cup are tinpot and shouldn't happen whatsoever,

Quite right.

I only once invaded the pitch at AG and that was in 1976 when City were promoted to the old first division.

• Admin

I always think pitch invasion is a bit of an outdated phrase

Invasion sounds like something bad or creating serious problems

Pitch celebrations like winning last night as a mark of pure celebration

Obviously there were examples of a "minority" playing up last season, but the country on the whole went loopy last year after covid etc

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

I always think pitch invasion is a bit of an outdated phrase

Invasion sounds like something bad or creating serious problems

Pitch celebrations like winning last night as a mark of pure celebration

Obviously there were examples of a "minority" playing up last season, but the country on the whole went loopy last year after covid etc

It is outdated but there’s the small chance that a minority of dimwits abusing opposition players or even trying to attack them - who remembers the pitch invasion at AG when we played the gas and Ian Holloway had to sprint off the pitch?

He later said that it was the most frightening experience he ever had in the game.

Thats the real issue - idiotic dimwits spoiling it for everyone else.

That said I bet none of the Owls fans wanted to harm anyone in their celebrations.

• Like 1

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It is outdated but there’s the small chance that a minority of dimwits abusing opposition players or even trying to attack them - who remembers the pitch invasion at AG when we played the gas and Ian Holloway had to sprint off the pitch?

He later said that it was the most frightening experience he ever had in the game.

Thats the real issue - idiotic dimwits spoiling it for everyone else.

Exactly - there was no celebrating, that was more to do with the way the Rovers fans ran on the pitch to celebrate their late goal

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

....who remembers the pitch invasion at AG when we played the gas and Ian Holloway had to sprint off the pitch?

I remember..........it was one of the most enjoyable moments I've witnessed in over 50 years of attending AG.?

We nearly caught him too...........if only ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I love a good pitch invasion. But as with most things , ***** ruin it. 

I do too! Only if you've something to celebrate though. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Made me smile when dozens of stewards came out and lined the pitch all around the ground with a few minutes left of the Burnley game. Did they really think we were all going to run on the pitch to celebrate finishing 14th.

I had to run for the bus…

28 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Made me smile when dozens of stewards came out and lined the pitch all around the ground with a few minutes left of the Burnley game. Did they really think we were all going to run on the pitch to celebrate finishing 14th.

We ran on the pitch at Northampton one year before kick off, so you just never know.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We ran on the pitch at Northampton one year before kick off, so you just never know.

I'm clearly low on sleep....I read that as we ran on the pitch at Northampton 12 months before the game kicked off.  Must've read it about 5 times before I realised what you actually meant!

(That's wholly on me, not you!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jim white just stirring the pot as he sometimes loves to do.

Of course there was going to be a pitch invasion if they won last night.

Just like there was at city after Rotherham, Hartlepool, and Palace.

They are joyful, they are well intended, they are beautiful memories, and add to the occasion.

however there is a line.

1st round of the league trophy against your rivals... Well just no. And of course as a general principal rule fans shouldn't go on the pitch in 99% of games.

But the last home game, with your season on the line. If you win it's part of the occasion. 

However, part of that deal is .. you let opposition players get off the pitch , and you leave the officials alone; the guy who did that last night =***banned for life*** (edit: I may have gone to far for what really happened)

Ps. Do you remember city v palace at the end,  fans were literally on the touchline waiting for the whistle; that's how special it was. I also remember Watson walking through the crowd generally being left along never in danger.

Edited by The turtle
  • Like 1

• Admin
16 minutes ago, The turtle said:

...and you leave the officials alone; the guy who did that last night =banned for life 

What happened last night?

I thought the guy accidentally ran into the linesman running onto the pitch?

Certainly seen nothing reported to any different

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

What happened last night?

I thought the guy slipped and accidently knocked the linesman over?

My bad, i confess i heard it on the radio when first woke up. And seemed to be suggesting punched him.

But seems perhaps that's not what actually happened.

• Like 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, The turtle said:

My bad, i confess i heard it on the radio when first woke up. And seemed to be suggesting punched him.

But seems perhaps that's not what actually happened.

It's a fair reaction, it didn't look great at first.

Luckily for once a Sky camera showed it was just someone over excited running straight into the official

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I dunno, some tried it last year when we finished 17th...