IGNORED

The importance of a partisan crowd

Major Isewater

Watching the relegation scrap in the Prem and the recent results for Forest and Everton in particular and so much talk has been of the supporters.

The commentary, especially for Nottingham Forest, has marveled at the positive support given to the side even when they were playing badly.

I believe their fans were a massive part in their staying up. 

Everton have had a toxic atmosphere at Goodison Park but this last month or so their backing has given them belief.

Lessons for us?

Stay positive, noisy and together during the game and I believe that this could carry our players to the heights. Fine margins and all that. 

• Like 17
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It's forever been so.

Unfortunately football means different things to different people. Doing what's logical versus doing what feels better. For many it's a release of energy from the real world. And let's be honest, the real world is an absolute shit show for most people nowadays. Venting some negative energy at "some overpaid blah blah blah's"...

But you're right, the atmosphere at a ground does make a positive difference to the team and the idea that it always has to be the players who initiate the positivity is pretty daft imdafIt's mutually beneficial and we should share responsibility as much as possible.

It's never really been our thing though, sadly.

Who or what initiates it can be very hard to define and pin down though, can’t it?

I wouldn’t say that it’s never been our thing: there have been games and times even at sleepy old Ashton Gate where it’s happened. And it’s not always the case at either Forest (I’ve been there with City when they’ve been in relegation trouble and the atmosphere has been toxic) or at Everton (as the Major has already referred to).

Sometimes, during a game, it can be something as simple as a player going in for a proper tackle, or a referee making a particularly inept decision, that can suddenly switch the crowd on. And other times when you go expecting the crowd to really get behind the players it just doesn’t seem to happen.

But Id like to think that in a similar position to Forest or Everton we’d really get behind the team whatever. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

39 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Watching the relegation scrap in the Prem and the recent results for Forest and Everton in particular and so much talk has been of the supporters.

The commentary, especially for Nottingham Forest, has marveled at the positive support given to the side even when they were playing badly.

Everton have had a toxic atmosphere at Goodison Park but this last month or so their backing has given them belief.

Lessons for us?

Stay positive, noisy and together during the game and I believe that this could carry our players to the heights. Fine margins and all that. 

Our fans are (still) asleep, old chap. Both literally and metap . xzzzzzz

I always remember a game away at Leeds under Lee Johnson. 2017/2018 I think. We were 2 - 0 up and utterly in control. Midway through the second half the Leeds fans made an utterly incredible noise in support of their side and willed their side back into the game. In the end, we desperately held on for 2-2. I can’t remember ever seeing a set of fans so clearly influence their side’s performance and I’ve had a grudging respect for Leeds fans ever since.

• Like 11

Last time I was at Forest they were nearing promotion and all sides of the ground were singing, they made a wall of noise and it was impressive. I never had much thoughts towards them either way before but the fact they had everyone making noise left a mark on me.

I did wonder what they would be like fighting relegation and I watched yesterday and the fans certainly played a part. Yes it's easy to be bouyant when promotion is there but it's far more impressive and vital when you are fighting for points.

The players though do need to show they have fight in them. It's almost impossible to cheer a team that has given up. Yes it often takes a bad decision from the Ref to get the crowd going.

24 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I always remember a game away at Leeds under Lee Johnson. 2017/2018 I think. We were 2 - 0 up and utterly in control. Midway through the second half the Leeds fans made an utterly incredible noise in support of their side and willed their side back into the game. In the end, we desperately held on for 2-2. I can’t remember ever seeing a set of fans so clearly influence their side’s performance and I’ve had a grudging respect for Leeds fans ever since.

Similarly, I remember a game during those difficult early weeks in Gary Johnson's tenure when City were struggling in the League 1 relegation zone.

With nothing of any note going on in the game (I guess we were losing), a few in the Atyeo started singing 'City 'till I die', and kept it going until more and more started joining in around the ground. As I remember it, the team responded almost straight away, playing with a previously unfound intensity. I think we ended up winning the game (others might remember more detail), but it was the start of an amazing turnaround and paved the way for a pulsating atmosphere at the Gate and a couple of the most memorable seasons in the club's history.

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Similarly, I remember a game during those difficult early weeks in Gary Johnson's tenure when City were struggling in the League 1 relegation zone.

With nothing of any note going on in the game (I guess we were losing), a few in the Atyeo started singing 'City 'till I die', and kept it going until more and more started joining in around the ground. As I remember it, the team responded almost straight away, playing with a previously unfound intensity. I think we ended up winning the game (others might remember more detail), but it was the start of an amazing turnaround and paved the way for a pulsating atmosphere at the Gate and a couple of the most memorable seasons in the club's history.

Sounds like two different games in that era. In one of them we were losing heavily at home to Chesterfield and out of nowhere the fans suddenly started singing and got behind the players  - we still lost but it felt like a turning point. In another game we beat Huddersfield with a last minute goal to end a long winless streak. Probably only about 10,000 were in the ground but the atmosphere was electric. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Lessons for us?

I completely agree with your comments.  My only reservation for a City crowd to act in this way is that we have zero pasr achievemnets to cling to in the way that Everton and Forest have. Both clubs have won top leagues and major cups in reasonable living memory. We have Three League Cup semi finals and one promotion the the Top Tier in the last FIFTY years. Thus while we are grateful for those, we can shout as loud as we can and it is nowhere near as loud and spontaneous as clubs like Everton and Forest. Or even in the Championship, the Boro, Blackburn, Coventry and Luton to name a few.

Our mentality is based on history with major matches thinking "As long as we play well, I'm OK" That means we are expecting to lose anyway. 

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Bristol City v Chesterfield that was, in the middle at one of the lowest points of the losing run. Lots were leadvng when we were 4-1 down and the "City till I die' was possibly a response. A couple of weeks later we beat high flying Huddersfield following the 9 game losing run, Dave Cotterill was on the score sheet and this was an early step, the first step towards the turn around.

This Chesterfield game possibly represented the darkness before the dawn or at least the highest point of shade.

We lost 4-2 in the end and a couple of games after that but performances and resolve improved a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

We’re a horrid home crowd at times. Turn so negative so quickly - it really doesn’t help the team.

Sorry have to totally disagree , all teams supporters have this in there locker , I have been to many away grounds over the years and city have outsung most if not all at some stage with the home crowd being toxic as you put it ( except perhaps Leeds) it’s all about what’s on the game , time in the season etc etc , I will chuck 3 in the mix all obvious ones where our crowd were as good as any other team , Rotherham , Hartlepool , Palace and add another Hereford . Yes we can be negative but most are at times . Oh except Bristol Barcelona north of the river ?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I was there, sat next to Mark Watson. It was a very memorable match in that’s the biggest influence I’ve seen a crowd have in a game. Remarkable.

Love it or hate it I think Forest having their Mull of Kyntire anthem, before each half starts, is a real good thing at getting the fans in voice. Not just the singing section, the whole stadium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Was at that game too, fam had chance to make it 3 nil and didnt, leeds hit the bar last min, theyre fans didnt stop singing second half

Northerners are generally more passionate people - worked up there regularly.
As far as AG goes, just watch a game in the Lansdown stand - like a library as the chant goes. The old AG was a run down ground etc, but you could get an atmosphere when the East End, Enclosure and Dolman got behind the team. Bristol public just like to sit and watch a game nowadays, very little chanting etc.
The new ground - ? 

Edited by fisherrich
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I was there too, it seemed as if one fan started it all. A complete racket, never heard anything like it! You couldn’t hear yourself speak. Fantastic atmosphere ?

33 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

As far as AG goes, just watch a game in the Lansdown stand - like a library as the chant goes. The old AG was a run down ground etc, but you could get an atmosphere when the East End, Enclosure and Dolman got behind the team. Bristol public just like to sit and watch a game nowadays, very little chanting etc.
The new ground - ? 

Man Utd at home was as good as any thing you will get in any ground in the country , my cousin came down from Manchester ( yes a Man U fan from Manchester ) I said he thought the atmosphere was great . 

• Like 1

Does having a home support on 4 sides rather than 3 sides of the pitch help as well. Squashing the away support into a corner or up away from the pitch is desirable. 

That's something to be considered with any future ground development as AG.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

The new ground - ? 

Dropping 25/30 pts a season for last 5 seasons hasnt helped imo

• Like 1

We’re a very quiet crowd.   Been that way since the stadium refit unfortunately.   Even away it’s getting a lot less raucous than it used to be.  But Ashton Gate is especially bad.  Night matches are like playing in someone’s living room the lights are so strong.   Seeing the videos this week of our play off against win vs Hartlepool all those years ago you can feel the difference that having the lights down makes at night.  
In the SS pockets of people still try and get an atmosphere going but it’s usually the same few who join in, and considering the size of the stand it really is just a few.  
Not sure why it’s so bad these days.   Demographics? Too comfortable a stadium? Nowhere near the away fans?  Who knows.   But I’m glad I know what it used to be like before, that’s for sure.   

• Like 4

People keep going on about that Leeds game like the crowd definitely made a difference to the outcome of the game, we'll never know. There's been countless occasions where teams have turned results around when the atmosphere has been terrible perhaps even toxic but nobody mentions them. Maybe it was just one of those things.

One of the best and most passionate crowd noise I've ever seen was before the world cup semi in Brazil, Brazil got battered 7-1, didn't help them much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fisherrich said:

The new ground - ? 

Tbh the modern ground as a whole, it can vary. In different ways e.g. I thought the Middlesbrough at home atmosphere over Easter was good, Man City in the FA Cup and perhaps Cardiff in August. Watford at home when it was clear we were putting in a shift "Red Army" was prevalent in terms of chants.

Following the disaster of the Lincoln Cup game we were all probably expecing poor to terrible v Watford but crowd and fans fed off each other quite well. Last game before the World Cup break perhaps helped too. Burnley and Norwich for spells of the game, but by no means all of it.

As for the Lansdown I tend to agree. I would also say in my view it's sadly inevitable due to a combination of the highest prices, the corporate areas and the Family Area in the Upper. Inevitable but unfortunate given that the stand as a while holds 11k or thereabouts.

Then again on the flipside, we were winless but playing off the park Luton in August who were a playoff side in 2021-22. 2 up and playing them off the park at 11 v 11..ridiculously quiet all things considered.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

The Swindon home night match in our league one championship winning season was as good an atmosphere as I can remember. I think every city fan felt a sense of "we ARE going to beat these b******s".

I think the return game against Swansea after we had lost the away leg 7-1 earlier in the season 2005/6 was similar, I'm sure the crowd almost willed the players over the line that day.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I'm going back a bit now but season 76/77 at some away matches the atmosphere in the away ends where there were only a thousand or so of us at some and upwards of 5,000 at some others. Coventry away at the historic 2-2 draw is a highlight, Man U with the 1-1 draw away, QPR another. For some reason when we play well away the crowd noise from City supporters seems to intensify.