IGNORED

Bundesliga

On 21/05/2023 at 19:46, Blagdon red said:

Yep, it's been an exciting season. I hope BVB do it. Bayern constantly winning gets boring.

Meanwhile, my German club, Union Berlin, will qualify for the Champions League if they win at home on the final day next weekend (a draw or even a defeat may also do). Quite an achievement given that they were in the third tier when I started following them in 2008 and, being a 100% members' club, have no sugar-daddy benefactor.

They're my German club as well. I have yet to get round to watching them live, but I try to visit Berlin as often as possible, so it's on a to-do list for me. 

• Confused 1

• SC&T Board Members
20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They're my German club as well. I have yet to get round to watching them live, but I try to visit Berlin as often as possible, so it's on a to-do list for me. 

Sadly, missing out on the CL as it stands ... but only need one goal in the second half to change that!

• Like 1

Been watching since about 20 mins in. Borussia Dortmund haven't been able to get that precision, though Mainz when they break also seem quite sharp. Borussia Dortmund for their part have seemed sloppy often, Mainz quite stubborn.

Guerrerio! Though Borussia Dortmund probably should have had a 2nd penalty too at 1-0.

Two goals needed and yet must guard against the counter as well as possible..very interesting scenario.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

This I dunno what can you say.

Mainz 4 losses in a row and midtable albeit nonpreseure and quick on the break.

Borussia Dortmund so impressive since January overhauling 6th place placing and 11 points in the subsequent 18 games.

5 minutes seemed light stoppage time wise too.

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Hell of a choke that. If you were a dortmund fan, you’d probably just admit you’re never gonna win the league again the way this feels. 

Think it falls on the coach, there was no composure or calmness from the beginning, from minute 1 they were getting counter attacked & he couldn’t stop it, they seemed far too excited…….also Dortmund aren’t a great team, Bayern have had the season from hell but still won it, if you can’t win it this year against them then you never will.

Edited by Mr Hankey
  • Like 1

It is and it isn't a choke. They clawed back a 9 point deficit from January to today, 11 points in fact from January to last weekend. Mainz were in certain ways dangerous opponents- strong on break and no pressure, away from home.

Hell of a run after Christmas. Haller penalty miss will haunt him. His offside goal he may wonder about.

Screenshot_20230527-163656_Chrome.thumb.jpg.21d1d7bc20570b59b2089bab5d11b8df.jpgScreenshot_20230527-163741_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f06b888e13577d33d1ea98a630cf4179.jpg

On 21/05/2023 at 19:46, Blagdon red said:

Yep, it's been an exciting season. I hope BVB do it. Bayern constantly winning gets boring.

Meanwhile, my German club, Union Berlin, will qualify for the Champions League if they win at home on the final day next weekend (a draw or even a defeat may also do). Quite an achievement given that they were in the third tier when I started following them in 2008 and, being a 100% members' club, have no sugar-daddy benefactor.

Love it Jon. Well done to Union! Turns out you can get Champions Legaue whilst having heritage assets protected in your articles!

But seriously, enjoy it mate!

• Like 1

The disappointing thing is, it'll possibly be Borussia Dortmund's best chance for a while because..

1) Bayern haven't yet properly replaced Lewandowski . Expect them to do so this summer either with a top striker or one a notch or two below.

2) I expect Bayern to also pad out the squad a bit depth wise although it's probably only the top reasonably seasoned striker that they are deficent in. Lanier from Leipzig off there another midfield option which also weakens a rival.

3) Bellingham off. Sure Borussia Dortmund will have money to spend but how well?

4) Haller for a full season. Okay today wasn't his best gsme to put it mildly but after his cancer scare a full pre season focused purely on the football will help them for sure.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The disappointing thing is, it'll possibly be Borussia Dortmund's best chance for a while because..

1) Bayern haven't yet properly replaced Lewandowski . Expect them to do so this summer either with a top striker or one a notch or two below.

2) I expect Bayern to also pad out the squad a bit depth wise although it's probably only the top reasonably seasoned striker that they are deficent in. Lanier from Leipzig off there another midfield option which also weakens a rival.

3) Bellingham off. Sure Borussia Dortmund will have money to spend but how well?

4) Haller for a full season. Okay today wasn't his best gsme to put it mildly but after his cancer scare a full pre season focused purely on the football will help them for sure.

The problem is that as long as Dortmund keep selling their best players (especially to Bayern) then they aren’t going to win anything. Would they have won today with Haaland? Course they would have done. And now they will sell Bellingham as well. And so Munich will win the Bundesliga again next year. There’s a moral there somewhere for us…

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The problem is that as long as Dortmund keep selling their best players (especially to Bayern) then they aren’t going to win anything. Would they have won today with Haaland? Course they would have done. And now they will sell Bellingham as well. And so Munich will win the Bundesliga again next year. There’s a moral there somewhere for us…

Tbh they were a bit unlucky. So near yet so far. They were 9 points off with an inferior GD after 15 games that is an impressive surge.

Bellingham gone but there is plenty to build on. A fully fit Haller post cancer over a whole season is a boost, provided that they spend well, they often do- but Bayern themselves being underpowered surely won't repeat itself but many clubs sell key or top players.

Haller not playing before Christmas- Health clearly comes first, second and third, but that won't have helped . He has had an impressive last l 18 games of the campaign to last weekend, but it just did not happen for him today.

Question Is twofold if we don't sell Scott, threefold actually.

1) What financial headroom will we have to add? It's debatable.

2) Will Scott himself be happy with the scenario?

3) If the time comes that we are still Championship in a year's time and we really do need to sell not even just for FFP but just a natural progression...What then? What would we get for him with one year left on his deal.

I also give the counter argument- Blackburn. Twice going for the stars, twice sort of skimming and then slightly surpassing the moon.

Summer 2022

Nyambe, Lenihan , Rothwell

Out of the door for free.

Summer 2023

Ayala, Dack, Brereton-Diaz

£0 for the lot. Needing loans and frees, can't spend fees without transfer revenue coming in, bit like us probably betweek January 2022, summer 2022 and most of ie pre Semenyo sale January 2023. Except wow look at that list..out the door for £0, some player went to Luton as well, unsure who. Possibly didn't get anything for him either.

57 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I don't think i've seen a last day bottlejob as bad as this ever

Mainz were a dangerous counter attacking side with no pressure, in some ways not the gimme many thought.

Weird combination of a deep, hard to get round line or through for a lot of the game but when they broke they were quite fast and difficult. Not a nice setup to play against chasing the win at home.

5-4-1 low block but a threat on the break..Mainz had what to play for exactly. Credit to them for their attitude and playing hard.