IGNORED

Massengo Contract

13 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

If we’re relying on Massengo to transform the midfield performance we may as well give up now

I don’t think anyones looking to him to ‘transform’ it single handed.

But having someone with some energy, someone with the mobility to give others options, and someone in the middle who might actually try to move the ball forward will give us 3x what we’ve got at the moment. 

• Like 10

I remember Michael Holding saying once that Paul Allott got a yard quicker in pace in his own head every year that he was in the commentary box, this is what’s happening with HNM.

Every time we lose & he’s not involved then he becomes a better player on here.

We do need to resolve the situation one way or the other but let’s not pretend we’re leaving out another Alex Scott here, he’s a squad option & nothing more.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I remember Michael Holding saying once that Paul Allott got a yard quicker in pace in his own head every year that he was in the commentary box, this is what’s happening with HNM.

Every time we lose & he’s not involved then he becomes a better player on here.

We do need to resolve the situation one way or the other but let’s not pretend we’re leaving out another Alex Scott here, he’s a squad option & nothing more.

I think that’s a fair comment Graham. But as a squad option why the hell isn’t he at least on the bench when (two games running) we have no alternative midfield options there? 

(But  I still think he’ll thrive in a set up that tries to pay through the midfield instead of bypassing them and going out wide all the time). 

23 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think that’s a fair comment Graham. But as a squad option why the hell isn’t he at least on the bench when (two games running) we have no alternative midfield options there? 

(But  I still think he’ll thrive in a set up that tries to pay through the midfield instead of bypassing them and going out wide all the time). 

I presume the midfield options are;

1) play Weimann behind a front two.

2) play Sykes in the position he played most of last season for Oxford.

However I’m not going to lie, I’m baffled by Weimann playing RWB in the first place & I’m not sure we have actually used Sykes as a central midfielder once since his arrival.

I would also have Massengo on the bench, because I don’t think Kadji is ready & so unless we were going to give Sykes a chance there don’t see a viable alternative, especially as King is now injured again.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I presume the midfield options are;

1) play Weimann behind a front two.

2) play Sykes in the position he played most of last season for Oxford.

However I’m not going to lie, I’m baffled by Weimann playing RWB in the first place & I’m not sure we have actually used Sykes as a central midfielder once since his arrival.

I would also have Massengo on the bench, because I don’t think Kadji is ready & so unless we were going to give Sykes a chance there don’t see a viable alternative, especially as King is now injured again.

Or 

3) Spend 70 minutes by-passing it completely: then abandon the pretence with substitutions and play with 6 defenders and four forwards.

??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The point is our approach is consistent. 

Mmmm……and maybe that’s why we’re at the wrong end of the table. What’s the saying….keep doing the same things, don’t be surprised when nothing changes. 

Maintaining a consistent approach is great when you’re top. Doesn’t necessarily follow that it’s the right approach when you’re bottom! 

(I know we’re not literally bottom, but the point is the same)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, extonsred said:

Said it before but HNM has mostly been used as a defensive midfielder...hardly ever at the front where he is freer to express his skills and flair and energy. We will see where he is played when he heads off to wherever...

He hasn’t scored a goal so he’s crap, haven’t you heard?

13 hours ago, italian dave said:

But having someone with some energy, someone with the mobility to give others options, and someone in the middle who might actually try to move the ball forward will give us 3x what we’ve got at the moment. 

Is there another Massengo I’m not aware of?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

That’s exactly what Massengo does. He is inconsistent but some of the chat about him in this thread and elsewhere is ridiculous. He’ll go somewhere better than City when he leaves and I expect he’ll thrive.

It is a rare moment indeed that Massengo moves the ball forward. 

What Massengo does well is little drag backs and getting his body in the way, which can look neat on occasion. He has no pace and a very limited physique.. He will lose the ball in poor positions regularly and is not the best at chasing back when the team is under pressure. He can’t pass at all well unless it’s three feet sideways/backwards which is why he only has one assist in well over a hundred games, shanks clearances regularly and melts down if he is within shooting range!

But I take your point, he’s as good as most in our squad Right now

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

I know this is a thread about HNM, but I have to say Joe Williams has been a huge let down for me. 

I appreciate HNM blows hot and cold, but I think I'd rather have him in the midfield than not. 

Williams and Massengo therein lies the problem, 2 players just like so many others at the club who are simply just not good enough if City want to compete throughout a whole season at the top of the Championship with a chance of promotion which judging by the reaction of  a lot of people on this forum to City conceding a goal let alone losing a game seems to be what they  expect. The reality is without new players of a higher calibre that is just not happening regardless of who is picking the team. 

Just now, REDOXO said:

It is a rare moment indeed that Massengo moves the ball forward. 

What Massengo does well is little drag backs and getting his body in the way, which can look neat on occasion. He has no pace and a very limited physique.. He will lose the ball in poor positions regularly and is not the best at chasing back when the team is under pressure. He can’t pass at all well unless it’s three feet sideways/backwards which is why he only has one assist in well over a hundred games, shanks clearances regularly and melts down if he is within shooting range!

But I take your point, he’s as good as most in our squad Ishtar now

That’s not true though is it? There have been countless games where he’s picked the ball up in our half and driven at the opposition before releasing the ball forward. QPR at home last season and Cardiff away last season both stand out although he does it almost every time he’s on the pitch.

Hes inconsistent and I wouldn’t want 40 starts from him over a season but almost none of what you’ve said is accurate aside from his shooting. If we see the game differently so be it.

He will almost certainly go to a top flight side in Europe and almost certainly develop as a footballer. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get European football again at some point in his career. Not necessarily going to be a world beater but he’ll play at a higher standard than city in the next few years.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1