IGNORED

Wrexham

Numero Uno

28 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Strong fav with bookies to win it. Think they'll go up and most likely as champions. 

Not sure about champions, the top end of league 2 will be competitive, teams like Salford, Stockport, Bradford, Mansfield and of course Notts. No where near as many walkover games in league two as NL so many more points will be dropped 

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£20m in the Conference even so it could rise further.

Arms length and fair value tests feel a must here.

Ultimately the test will be if they can keep their costs down as they rise through the EFL.

They'll be paying higher wages than their peers right now, but as they get higher they're going to get players demanding £500k, £1m or more per year. Even with turnover of £30 or £40m that becomes very hard to cover without £Xm of shareholder injection. We know this ourselves.

Reynolds and Mchellenny (sp?) are wealthy, but are they "burn £15m every year and not care a hot" wealthy? I don't know. Third party investment is of course possible and I suspect Reynolds has a well established network for that, but it's going to take some planning.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Interesting, I've not been hugely engaged with it tbh. Started watching the documentary but couldn't get past some of the parts tailored to the US market. Just found plenty else I'd rather watch.

There was one episode which felt like one of those series that has a musical episode. Far too Hollywood for me, watched it on FF.  It can get a bit like that, but there was enough about the players/fans/club to keep me interested. I tend to watch these sort of things when I can use Fast Forward to skip the tacky stuff.

23 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Reynolds and Mchellenny (sp?) are wealthy, but are they "burn £15m every year and not care a hot" wealthy? I don't know. Third party investment is of course possible and I suspect Reynolds has a well established network for that, but it's going to take some planning.

He certainly doesn't seem stupid when it comes to business, but Wrexham and its fans doesn't seem to wonder if he is in it for the money and money only. They could sell in a few years and Wrexham could find themselves on a slipper slope after all the overspending and hype?

Only a quick google but interesting article about Reynolds wealth and interests:  https://www.investopedia.com/ryan-reynolds-net-worth-7111408

• Like 1

I think the thing for me about Wrexham is that they have to keep moving forward to remain attractive to the Social media crowd.

So far they've been able to do that in the NL and I'm sure next season they will provide further entertainment.

The difference for me will be L1 and the possibility of a mid table finish. How is that sold to the masses? They would need to keep reinventing themselves somehow to remain relevant.

The biggest draw for Wrexham is their online presence, as the town itself is a nightmare to get to and not a lot going on either.

The entertainment value is their for next season, but thereafter they will be a limit to what can be achieved in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Delighted to see this contemporary circus get a right pasting today, even if it was against a club who are only marginally less objectionable.

Have it, Boyos.

Equally Notts County (apart from some former City staff connections) so both the big boys from National League last season struggling

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Equally Notts County (apart from some former City staff connections) so both the big boys from National League last season struggling

Seem to remember Yeovil coming up years ago and being touted as the side to walk the league.

Think they got beat something like 7/3 in their first game, and got promoted. Wouldn't cast them as struggling just yet.

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Seem to remember Yeovil coming up years ago and being touted as the side to walk the league.

Think they got beat something like 7/3 in their first game, and got promoted. Wouldn't cast them as struggling just yet.

Oh I fully expect both to be in the top 7, just meant struggling on the opening day

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

It will be remarkable if Wrectum don’t, quite frankly, with all the resources they have at their disposal. But I’m still going to cherish every time they fall flat on their faces. I absolutely detest them and the media love-in that goes along with this tawdry tale.

I live in the States and I nearly put my foot through the Telly on fixture release day when I happened to turn on ESPN and they were talking about…guess which EFL club?

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I expect a lot struggle, pre season is so different to a league game. How many of the teams that got promoted last season, won their opening game?

Stockport were really poor for the first 10 or so and only just missed out on automatics

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Gillingham and Barrow are the teams to watch in that division with Stockport not far behind.

Thems me bet.

Barrow don't have the quality required, Gillingham yeah they'll be right up there as the owner will keep investing, but given how many teams have invested this season if they have a couple of seasons of struggle it could become uncomfortable financially there if they don't go up

16 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Delighted to see this contemporary circus get a right pasting today, even if it was against a club who are only marginally less objectionable.

Have it, Boyos.

The irony of it is that if you explained the whole MK Dons saga to your average American sports fan who's started following Wrexham, their response would probably be "so what? moving a team 50 miles is nothing".

On 05/08/2023 at 22:06, Lrrr said:

Barrow don't have the quality required, Gillingham yeah they'll be right up there as the owner will keep investing, but given how many teams have invested this season if they have a couple of seasons of struggle it could become uncomfortable financially there if they don't go up

Been looking at Barrow for a while, I think they'll surprise a few this season.

Got a few quid on them.

Stockport are a given as far as I'm concerned, as are Gillingham.

All three to go up imo.

L1 is a lottery, even that tinpot outfit up north has a chance.

• Like 1

https://www.leedsallover.com/unpopular-ex-leeds-united-figure-lands-wrexham-job-on-efl-loophole-despite-elland-road-administration/

Shaun Harvey who helped to almost wreck Leeds has been advising Wrexham but he has been formally appointed.

The loophole that the prior administration events were before 2004- Leeds ones after, Bradford before, Scarborough well who knows his role in their demise.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.leedsallover.com/unpopular-ex-leeds-united-figure-lands-wrexham-job-on-efl-loophole-despite-elland-road-administration/

Shaun Harvey who helped to almost wreck Leeds has been advising Wrexham but he has been formally appointed.

The loophole that the prior administration events were before 2004- Leeds ones after, Bradford before, Scarborough well who knows his role in their demise.

I've no idea what his role at Leeds and Bradford was at those times, but he was subsequently elected at CEO of the football league in 2011 and stayed there for 8 years. Pretty unlikely he'd have held that role if he was some kind of crook. Of course they are spending a lot, but he seems a key part of Wrexham's recent on-field success and ground improvements. On the documentary he comes across as decent and hard-working. Exactly the type of CEO we could do with here tbh.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've no idea what his role at Leeds and Bradford was at those times, but he was subsequently elected at CEO of the football league in 2011 and stayed there for 8 years. Pretty unlikely he'd have held that role if he was some kind of crook. Of course they are spending a lot, but he seems a key part of Wrexham's recent on-field success and ground improvements. On the documentary he comes across as decent and hard-working. Exactly the type of CEO we could do with here tbh.

He is shocking. His tenure at the helm of the EFL was horrendous on many levels.

Crook perhaps not, but..well. I've not watched the documentary in fairness but he has been abysmal in certain past roles.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Hmmm 1