IGNORED

Burnley - Wtaf?!

B-Rizzle

Burnley have just tweeted that they’re back for preseason today. Today!!

The EPL has only just finished, play offs only just finished and they’re back already? What? Why? How?

Isnt it usually around 1st July for most clubs or last week of June at earliest?

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm pretty sure we have the players in for a day or two just to make sure they are maintaining fitness levels etc. So maybe that?

Yep, come in for a day or so, do a set of benchmarks, give them their summer programmes and then get regular updates from them whilst they’re on hols / international duty.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, come in for a day or so, do a set of benchmarks, give them their summer programmes and then get regular updates from them whilst they’re on hols / international duty.

Yeah, but that isn’t advertised as ‘first day back’ on socials at the start of June, is it?

Still seems weirdly early but the previous point about lots of players on international duty makes some sense.

Some kind of mentality Kompany has. I heard when they were top of the table this season he and the players were calling it 21st as they were still below 20 teams in the league system! 

This kinda stuff can reap high rewards but see burnout down the line. 

22 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Some kind of mentality Kompany has. I heard when they were top of the table this season he and the players were calling it 21st as they were still below 20 teams in the league system! 

This kinda stuff can reap high rewards but see burnout down the line. 

That's what happened with Bielsa and Leeds. Eventually they were blighted by huge injury problems.

• Like 1

Interesting, so it's a pre-pre-season:

"It’s claimed Kompany will take his squad to Portugal for a 10-day training camp before enjoying another 10-day break, before their proper pre-season begins in earnest."

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/burnley-return-to-pre-season-training-just-four-weeks-after-championship-campaign-finished-4170425

• Like 1

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That's what happened with Bielsa and Leeds. Eventually they were blighted by huge injury problems.

Beat me to it. I doubt Kompany is doing this out of the blue. He probably learnt it from Pep and Pep cites Bielsa as his biggest influence, so it’s probably filtered down indirectly to Kompany. Either way, I agree burnout is likely - unless Burnley plan to have a big squad to rotate. 

Ben Foster talks about how micro managed footballers often are. During the season, every session is planned, travel is planned, games are planned and you are told where to be and when, every working day for your career. That's institutionalising, and many players could really struggle over the summer and would welcome an early return. 

2 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Sam Bell was in the video of Rob Dickie’s medical doing some fitness stuff, surprised as everywhere I look the city lads are still not in the country!

Could just be wanting to do a session to maintain levels, would you rather go to a local gym, go for a run in public (but that depends where you live of course) or use exceptional facilities to do it where it’s likely to be quiet 

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Could just be wanting to do a session to maintain levels, would you rather go to a local gym, go for a run in public (but that depends where you live of course) or use exceptional facilities to do it where it’s likely to be quiet 

I think he mentions in the video about wanting to bulk up a bit before pre-season. Fully agree.

On 05/06/2023 at 20:10, B-Rizzle said:

Burnley have just tweeted that they’re back for preseason today. Today!!

The EPL has only just finished, play offs only just finished and they’re back already? What? Why? How?

Isnt it usually around 1st July for most clubs or last week of June at earliest?

It must be the Kompany they keep.