IGNORED

Spurs doing a Spurs

The Coach

With Spurs announcing Postecoglou as manager. Is this a disaster in the waiting and potential repeat of giving Nuno the job?

Did no other manger really want the Spurs job due to the constraints working with Levy? 

Would any other of the big clubs taken on Postecoglou? My feeling is no. Must feel rather daunting being a Spurs fan. I will be surprised if he surpasses his 2 year contract.

IMG_0260.jpeg

He's done well internationally, and at club level ....just not in England.

I think he'll do well - with no European football it was always going to be hard to attract an elite level coach.

Kane has carried Spurs for years and papered over some poor signings. It'll be interesting to see how they go about rebuilding the team when he moves in the summer.

• Like 2

Just now, Seventeen said:

Awful appointment. Kane will leave. 

Assuming Levy will let him which is doubtful. I think he would rather take the financial hit of him leaving next summer than admit defeat.

He certainly won't sell him to a Premier League side

Low wages relative to top name managers, cheap compensation to Celtic as he is on a 1 yr rolling contract, and cheap to get rid of if he fails

If all other options were expensive you can understand why they have taken a punt

Edited by TonyTonyTony

31 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Spurs have been down the "Big name manager" root

in Mourinho  and Conte and look what that did for them

May be a more hungry manager with something to prove will

stop Spurs being so Spursie

I think Postecoglou is a fairly big name. Certainly a bigger name than Mourinho or Conte and past managers such as Venables and Ramos. Miles bigger than Jol. It’s probably, bar Espirito-Santos the biggest name they’ve had recently.

• Haha 11

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think Postecoglou is a fairly big name. Certainly a bigger name than Mourinho or Conte and past managers such as Venables and Ramos. Miles bigger than Jol. It’s probably, bar Espirito-Santos the biggest name they’ve had recently.

Sarcastic Well Done GIF by CBC

55 minutes ago, TomF said:

Plays pretty attractive football too.   It’s a gamble but what has actually worked for spurs over the years? Potch yes but other than that? 

You think Poch ‘worked for Spurs’ Tom? Many Spurs fans think they bottled the premier league title under Poch when they were well in it but allowed Leicester City to take the trophy. And the last Spurs manager to win a trophy? Wasn’t it Juande Ramos? So you could argue it ‘worked for Spurs’ under Ramos but not so much under Poch? Just an opinion, but the lack of recent success for a club the size of Spurs opens up a very interesting debate ...

43 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Assuming Levy will let him which is doubtful. I think he would rather take the financial hit of him leaving next summer rather than admit  defeat.

He certainly won't sell him to a Premier League side

Difficult to believe that one man's ego can become so developed that he can sit in a stadium of 63.000 people (who apart from other very wealthy cronies and arse lickers) believe he is a tyrannical, despotic dictator who is ruining their football club and he doesn't care and must believe they're wrong, even though the word has got around all the top managers in the world and no ****er wants to come to Spurs.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You think Poch ‘worked for Spurs’ Tom? Many Spurs fans think they bottled the premier league title under Poch when they were well in it but allowed Leicester City to take the trophy. And the last Spurs manager to win a trophy? Wasn’t it Juande Ramos? So you could argue it ‘worked for Spurs’ under Ramos but not so much under Poch? Just an opinion, but the lack of recent success for a club the size of Spurs opens up a very interesting debate ...

It's near enough a fact that he worked - look at where the club was before and where it's gone since compared to what he achieved consistently. The rebuild he had pleaded for included Davinson Sanchez, Giovani Lo Celso and Tanguy Ndombele... Two of them have left, the other one is so bad he got substituted on and off within 23 minutes in the same game last season. You won't find many reasonable Spurs fans who think he didn't work, they know whose fault it was that things fell apart.

I think Spurs may have ended up with a better manager than they would've gone for otherwise because their hands have been forced by the state they're in. Postecoglou was a laughing stock when he was appointed Celtic manager... Look what their fans are saying now. Yes, there's recency bias involved but he's thought of higher than Brendan Rodgers who led them to an unbeaten domestic season. He's been dealt a tough hand working with that mess but he's got the ability to succeed.

Edited by Ron W

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You could make the argument that for a club the size of Spurs they've overachieved the last decade or so.

Must be galling for their fans not to have managed a trophy during that period having come close so often, but when I was growing up they were on a par with Everton/Newcastle/Aston Villa. They've achieved far more than any of those in recent times, becoming part of the "Big Six", and haven't needed oil money to do it

I think if i was a spurs fan I wouldn't be that disappointed and I wouldn't be that excited. He has a really good record everywhere he has been, including improving clubs that were not performing and managed to step up a level each time he's had the opportunity. Could be a good option and as mentioned earlier the lack of European football limits the attracting for bigger name managers. 

Another interesting discussion on TalkSport yesterday with Jim White and Simon Jordon about Spurs managerial failures, particularly Conte.

The main point was that there’s too many with poor attitudes amongst the players which is a long standing issue and that player power holds the reins at Tottenham which was pretty much what Conte said when he left.

Another point was that it’s almost impossible to fail at Celtic which devalues what Postecoglou did up there. Like many Jordon has a dim view of the lack of quality in the SPL - I completely agree with him on that.

However …………maybe Levy has finally found the right man……….:dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Another interesting discussion on TalkSport yesterday with Jim White and Simon Jordon about Spurs managerial failures, particularly Conte.

The main point was that there’s too many with poor attitudes amongst the players which is a long standing issue and that player power holds the reins at Tottenham which was pretty much what Conte said when he left.

Another point was that it’s almost impossible to fail at Celtic which devalues what Postecoglou did up there. Like many Jordon has a dim view of the lack of quality in the SPL - I completely agree with him on that.

Conte was critical of the players' weak mentality, Kane excepted, not player power.

The power at Spurs rests with Levy, not the players or even the manager. Mourinho recently referred to them as the Daniel Levy club for that reason. Wresting power from Levy is going to be the challenge for Ange.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

This is a viewpoint you hear a lot but is pretty lazy because it’s so clearly not true - Ronny Delia and Neil Lennon at Celtic, Gio VB and Pedro Caixhinha at Rangers both left under a cloud in recent years and these are clubs who don’t often change manager.

Yes there’s an elevated chance of winning the league but you’re up against a rival in the same position year on year. And Postecoglou didn’t just do that, they won the domestic treble which is still a solid achievement even with Rangers’ up and down season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ron W said:

This is a viewpoint you hear a lot but is pretty lazy because it’s so clearly not true - Ronny Delia and Neil Lennon at Celtic, Gio VB and Pedro Caixhinha at Rangers both left under a cloud in recent years and these are clubs who don’t often change manager.

Yes there’s an elevated chance of winning the league but you’re up against a rival in the same position year on year. And Postecoglou didn’t just do that, they won the domestic treble which is still a solid achievement even with Rangers’ up and down season.

Yes, Celtic were a mess when he took over having finished 25 points behind Rangers.

Celtic fans were not impressed when he was appointed but he has turned the whole club around. Though he had complete control at Celtic which he won't get at Spurs.

• Like 1

I think is a smart move.

He is an impressive guy and plays a style of football that the fans will appreciate.

Realistically Spurs are not going to be winning the EPL anytime soon regardless of who the manager is.

Recruitment has been poor for a while and it’s going to take a number of in’s and out’s over 2/3 windows to address that. Even allowing for that they are miles behind Man City and another few clubs.

If he can get European football and a decent cup run that would be a success.

I think Kane is a real dilemma for Levy. He doesn’t want to sell him to another EPL club but, he only has 12 months left on his contract and would generate a decent fee.

The power here is with the player. He could sign a new contract, or he could stay for one more season and leave next summer and no doubt receive a huge signing on fee.

Alternatively, if the reported interest from Bayern and Madrid is real he could choose to go abroad. Either of those options would be expensive for the buying club which could prove problematic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think Jordan is spot on with his view

• Like 1

It's been highlighted Postecoglou likes to play attractive attacking football. That's all well and good for a side like Celtic who can play any style they like and still win the SPL. That approach will not always work in the PL with the squad they have.

One of the big questions will be can Postecoglou change his setup and approach to the bigger teams such as Man City, United, Liverpool etc. If they go for this attacking approach against the likes of Man City. They are going to get slaughtered.  

18 hours ago, The Coach said:

Did no other manger really want the Spurs job due to the constraints working with Levy? 

I think that is probably true. Top class contenders would bear in mind when they went for talks what happened to Poch when he wanted to renew and upgrade the squad. Levy wouldn't back him and Spuds have got worse ever since.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Coach said:

It's been highlighted Postecoglou likes to play attractive attacking football. That's all well and good for a side like Celtic who can play any style they like and still win the SPL. That approach will not always work in the PL with the squad they have.

One of the big questions will be can Postecoglou change his setup and approach to the bigger teams such as Man City, United, Liverpool etc. If they go for this attacking approach against the likes of Man City. They are going to get slaughtered.  

They tend to play with a high intensity, not necessarily expansive. They press pretty hard from the front and have lots of similar low centre of gravity forwards like Kyogo and Jota. He seems to have picked up Japanese players who imo in the last 3 or 4 world cups proven to be very good footballers and has used his knowledge of that league to his benefit.

I am very intrigued to see what he can do at a more advanced club with more money. 

11 minutes ago, 2015 said:

They tend to play with a high intensity, not necessarily expansive. They press pretty hard from the front and have lots of similar low centre of gravity forwards like Kyogo and Jota. He seems to have picked up Japanese players who imo in the last 3 or 4 world cups proven to be very good footballers and has used his knowledge of that league to his benefit.

I am very intrigued to see what he can do at a more advanced club with more money. 

And under more of the spotlight. Not that he wasn’t under Celtic but this is a different level. Interesting times ahead. Could prove to be an utter genius move or another embarrassing fault from Levy.