IGNORED

Haydon Roberts Confirmed - Signed

westonred

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We have a couple of contractual issues don't we. Vyner 2024, Pring 2025.

Would think we are or will be trying to tie down Vyner for longer before the window ends. And hoping we hear renewal talks for pringy around the same time in next season as we did Atkinson’s this season.

The one I’m most interested about is Weimann. I know he’s a bit like marmite on this forum especially this season some love him some don’t think he’s good enough. But he’s only got a year left and he’s 32 in august. With Bell, Conway, Cornick and Wells we have cover. He’s one of our players I could see potentially moving on this summer but I hope he does stay.

Edited by George Rs

28 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I do wonder whether with both Roberts and the links to Bryan we are expecting some movement with Pring. 

The Bryan link started in March/April. As that slowly faded out, we’ve now moved onto Roberts. 

12 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Would think we are or will be trying to tie down Vyner for longer before the window ends. And hoping we hear renewal talks for pringy around the same time in next season as we did Atkinson’s this season.

The one I’m most interested about is Weimann. I know he’s a bit like marmite on this forum especially this season some love him some don’t think he’s good enough. But he’s only got a year left and he’s 32 in august. With Bell, Conway, Cornick and Wells we have cover. He’s one of our players I could see potentially moving on this summer but I hope he does stay.

Would hope so but the lack of news is a bit of a surprise although the option does buy time. Yeah Pring having 2 years left reduces some urgency.

Don't see us moving on Weimann yet or trying to- useful for depth, versatile- knows the League, relatively low cost.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't see us moving on Weimann yet or trying to- useful for depth, versatile- knows the League, relatively low cost.

Agree 100%, at first thought this may be our last opportunity to get decent money for him. But In saying that it seems unneeded with Scott likely to go for big money and many other higher value assests

• Like 1

I've been watching some clips of Roberts. Firstly its hard to gauge a player on the limited bits I've seen so take this with a pinch of salt however I'll give my take.

He's definitely smaller in stature than your conventional CB (if played there) although has got a deceptively good leap. If played at LB/LWB he seems to win more headers.

Has decent feet and can play in tight spaces, can dribble with the ball. When dribbling when played as a CB he has good acceleration to burst into midfield. When dribbling as a LB/LWB he seems to feint that he's going to recycle possession back to other defenders or the goalkeeper and spin the opposing attacker who is pressing.

Seems to drift inside quite alot but can also burst down the wings, when he gets into space I think he needs to work on crossing earlier as he has a tendency to hit the player attempting to block when pressed.

Pace wise he looks quicker than Dasilva but less than Pring.

When tackling he seems to avoid going to the ground and remains on his feet. Doesn't seem like a push over and plays with a little bit of an edge.

All in all I think he has all the tools to do well with us. You can see he's come from a decent academy and although he has things to work on he already has very good attributes.

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I've been watching some clips of Roberts. Firstly it’s hard to gauge a player on the limited bits I've seen so take this with a pinch of salt however I'll give my take.

I’ve been watching a fair few Derby highlights over the past week.

He's definitely smaller in stature than your conventional CB (if played there) although has got a deceptively good leap. If played at LB/LWB he seems to win more headers.

yes, good aerially.  I’d say he’s about 6-foot tall.

Has decent feet and can play in tight spaces, can dribble with the ball. When dribbling when played as a CB he has good acceleration to burst into midfield. When dribbling as a LB/LWB he seems to feint that he's going to recycle possession back to other defenders or the goalkeeper and spin the opposing attacker who is pressing.

yes, technically very decent, and it’s his pace I noticed (as per below…very view are as quick as Pring!).  

Seems to drift inside quite alot but can also burst down the wings, when he gets into space I think he needs to work on crossing earlier as he has a tendency to hit the player attempting to block when pressed.

When tackling he seems to avoid going to the ground and remains on his feet. Doesn't seem like a push over and plays with a little bit of an edge.

I like that he uses his body defensively, arms across the attacker, stuff like that.

All in all I think he has all the tools to do well with us. You can see he's come from a decent academy and although he has things to work on he already has very good attributes.

Good summary RR! ??????

A few comments embedded above.  All agreeing with you.

37 minutes ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

Matty Hill

Physically he reminds me more of Derrick Williams.  Had Del been an inch or two taller and bit more solid, I think he’d have been very good.  He still had a good stint at Blackburn at this level.

Roberts far more comfortable on the ball than Del though.  Has the makings of a very smart signing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nugget said:

Interesting at the bottom of that article says City have approached a striker but I can’t find the player in question.

edit Championship star not striker

Ali Al Hamadi of AFC Wimbledon, signed from Wycombe in January after failing to score in 9 for them. He then didn’t produce in his first 4 games for AFC but then hit 10 plus an assist in his next 14 games. Quick Wiki check and he turned 21 in March, 6 ft 1” Iraqi born striker previously of Tranmere 15-18, Swansea 18-21, Wycombe 21-23, scored 3 in 10 on loan at Bromley second half of 21/22 season.

58 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I've been watching some clips of Roberts. Firstly its hard to gauge a player on the limited bits I've seen so take this with a pinch of salt however I'll give my take.

Very good summery, and sounds rather similar to a young Joe Bryan. 

A good leap, and winning headers from a wide position.

4 hours ago, Nugget said:

Interesting at the bottom of that article says City have approached a striker but I can’t find the player in question.

edit Championship star not striker

The hyperlink takes you to a page of various stories, scroll down and you get to Al-Hamadi, albeit from 18th May.

• Like 1

It feels now  that  we have a clarity of thought, planning and recruitment plus a good team working together with clear focus and drive. They know what type of players they want and how much they have got to spend. Well done to everyone of the team from Pearson, Tins, Phil Alexander and all the backroom team. Keep it going

• Like 6

5 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Derby reporter said his best position is centre back, then left back and finally left wing back. They said he is a far better defender than he is an attacking option.

• Thanks 1