IGNORED

Haydon Roberts Confirmed - Signed

westonred

49 minutes ago, Derby_Ram said:

Been a while since I've been round these parts. Just thought I'd stick my head in to say you've got a good one here.

Predominantly played LB for us but the left of the centre backs in a back 3 and didn't look out of place in either. Excellent engine, good on the ball, decent pace, can move well with the ball, just his end ball was lacking too frequently when playing out wide.

Based on what we saw I think he may struggle at CB in a back 4 but wouldn't put it past him.

Probably the biggest compliments are you never thought he was a 20yr old learning the game last season and hard to pinpoint any goals as being obviously down to him. Good player.

Nice to see some constructive comments and not the usual he was crap and your welcome to him from some that have posted on here in the past, it always smacks of sour grapes, thanks for the info.

12 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Defensive signings are never going to deeply exciting. What these signings so far allow us to do though is having the ability to play our better players in their best positions. No more playing Pring at CB, no more Scott filling in at RWB etc etc.

You can’t judge what the state of the squad might look like if Scott was to go because a) he’s still here & b) we don’t know which players we have lined up with the money that Scott could potentially bring in. 

Yeh- whatever

I'm still not sharing the excitement and still think we're looking average in the championship for next season- but that's a massive improvement on three seasons of getting nervous at various points in those seasons.

It's just my opinion and any view to the contrary is equally just an opinion.

The results will do the talking as to what we are.

4 hours ago, bcfctim said:

I don't think you're saying anything unfair or controversial and I don't really understand why you're being jumped on tbh

Thanks Tim

Being jumped upon for daring to express my opinion of mid table championship mediocrity is what OTIB do these days. I couldn't care less if it's not to the populist's liking.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I’m interested to get your opinion on Knight and Bird this summer. Do you have hope of keeping them? And if not, where would be their most likely destination? (Top end champ / mid table etc)

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Some early rumours our end we’ve bid for Jason Knight - how would your profile him as a central midfielder? Does he think more forwards or backwards? And what price do you think you’d hold out for?

Knight I think will go. We triggered an extension to keep him under contract but Stephen Kenny has been clear he wants him to step back up.

Cracking little player but despite over 100 games still not sure his best position and whether he excels in any. No one will outrun him, he'll be the player that drags the team and crowd up when it's needed through his pressing, but he can't beat a player, passing is reasonable yet not special, not the best in the tackle, and finishing worse than it should be. Centre midfield is probably his position but you could play him as right back, wide midfield, attacking mid and he'd do a job. Warne's favourite, Rooney loved him, fans love him but if you have to pick out his best trait....he runs around a lot!

Bird, Sibley and in particular Cashin we'll look to keep but if any of them indicates they want to go and someone stumps up the cash we'll sell. 

Bird could easily do a job in for a Championship team pushing for promotion, but on the flipside wasn't head and shoulders above league one midfields last year. He needs to impose himself on games more frequently. If he did that consistently you'd be talking Premier League not Championship. 

Someone like Knight should be in the region of £2m-2.5m but its rare would a L1 player commands that type of fee.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Thanks Tim

Being jumped upon for daring to express my opinion of mid table championship mediocrity is what OTIB do these days. I couldn't care less if it's not to the populist's liking.  

Out of interest do you see mid-table Championship as “mediocre”?  We’ve finished in the top 10 (or top third - take your pick) once in god knows how many years, and have spent time in Lg1 during that period.

I always find it strange that “bang average” is used by many in a derogatory way, when its anything but….it’s bang in the “middle” (mean, mode, median?).

Language is very interesting.

I use the term “decent” a lot, but that can mean different things too.

1 hour ago, Derby_Ram said:

Knight I think will go. We triggered an extension to keep him under contract but Stephen Kenny has been clear he wants him to step back up.

Cracking little player but despite over 100 games still not sure his best position and whether he excels in any. No one will outrun him, he'll be the player that drags the team and crowd up when it's needed through his pressing, but he can't beat a player, passing is reasonable yet not special, not the best in the tackle, and finishing worse than it should be. Centre midfield is probably his position but you could play him as right back, wide midfield, attacking mid and he'd do a job. Warne's favourite, Rooney loved him, fans love him but if you have to pick out his best trait....he runs around a lot!

Bird, Sibley and in particular Cashin we'll look to keep but if any of them indicates they want to go and someone stumps up the cash we'll sell. 

Bird could easily do a job in for a Championship team pushing for promotion, but on the flipside wasn't head and shoulders above league one midfields last year. He needs to impose himself on games more frequently. If he did that consistently you'd be talking Premier League not Championship. 

Someone like Knight should be in the region of £2m-2.5m but its rare would a L1 player commands that type of fee.

I really like Knight.

For me he’s versatile and you could argue what his best position is?  He is very busy too (that’ll have the Weimann-bashers worrying) as you suggest also.

Although squad-wise / numerically it might be Knight in / Scott out I don’t see him replacing the way Alex plays.  I see him fitting an evolving style of having more possession and territory in the opposition third.  And whereas we can be a bit one-dimensional against teams in a mid-low block (ie we have to go round the outside to create chances) I think Knight gives the option to make those third-man runs from more central positions.  It’s something Weimann did really well in a more direct / counterattacking style in 21/22 when he had Martin and Semenyo to run behind.  But we don’t play like that anymore.  And I’m alluding more to those runs that Josh Brownhill would make, little give and goes off of the striker, or taking up the space of a player like Conway or Wells who’ve made in-to-out runs.  When they’ve done that, we can often be left with nobody “hitting the box”.

I think Knight could really suit us in that kind of role.  It looks like we are trying to take advantage of a contract situation, like we did with Dickie, for a player who would’ve ideally wanted to looking forward to Championship footie with Derby, but with a year left his head is gonna be turned.  Not in a bad day, just the reality of the situation.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That figure seems reasonable based on last season, but where will the other goals come from, especially if TC suffers another serious injury?

Our latest signings all have the odd goal in them. I am sure that played a part in our pursuit of them. NP knows we need more goals in the team. I have confidence in the coaching staff to sort it out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Our latest signings all have the odd goal in them. I am sure that played a part in our pursuit of them. NP knows we need more goals in the team. I have confidence in the coaching staff to sort it out. 

I think this is the key thing, the whole team needs to contribute . 
I think many would agree last year the Wells/Conway partnership was the best we'd seen for some time, it showed great promise. Why Nige split them up I'm not sure. There were disruptions from injuries across the team, it may have been trialing a new formation who knows. What I do know is, we can't be sure how we will set up next season, not yet. 

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest do you see mid-table Championship as “mediocre”?  We’ve finished in the top 10 (or top third - take your pick) once in god knows how many years, and have spent time in Lg1 during that period.

I always find it strange that “bang average” is used by many in a derogatory way, when its anything but….it’s bang in the “middle” (mean, mode, median?).

Language is very interesting.

I use the term “decent” a lot, but that can mean different things too.

Yes- I do . How can average mean anything else? It's not bad - it's not good , it's mediocre and average.

Good point about "decent"- I have no idea what it means generally to others. Is a decent player a good player? etc.

If you follow my comments, Dave, you'll also see that I say this "bang average" is an improvement and also that Brian Tinnion and Nige's "hands are tied" in respect of transfers.

People in search of a populist post and in search of likes turn my opinion into something I never said just like @lenred

As you know over several seasons of chat between us- I say what I think not what I think people want to hear which ironically for me  is exactly what Nige does.

• Like 1

As I’m sure many on here know, he was married to Lesley Crowther’s daughter - LC used to star in Crackerjack with Peter Glaze.

LC used to live in Corston, near Bath (not Wiltshire), and I had the pleasure of meeting them all one afternoon at the village fête.

He really was a very friendly and approachable young man, not at all like his stage image, as, indeed, was LC, but he (Phil L) was so obviously very high on something.

A very enjoyable afternoon, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes- I do . How can average mean anything else? It's not bad - it's not good , it's mediocre and average.

Good point about "decent"- I have no idea what it means generally to others. Is a decent player a good player? etc.

If you follow my comments, Dave, you'll also see that I say this "bang average" is an improvement and also that Brian Tinnion and Nige's "hands are tied" in respect of transfers.

People in search of a populist post and in search of likes turn my opinion into something I never said just like @lenred

As you know over several seasons of chat between us- I say what I think not what I think people want to hear which ironically for me  is exactly what Nige does.

I had no idea mediocre actually meant “of average quality” (dictionary).  I’d always thought it meant bad.  I get it means “not very good”, but I question its English definition.  Because average isn’t good nor bad, yet mediocre is used singularly in to imply average is bad.  That I think is mis-use.  I shall take it up with Susie Dent!

Re Bang Average I was talking about OTIB generally and see it used to describe something bad.

Its why I prefer numbers!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I had no idea mediocre actually meant “of average quality” (dictionary).  I’d always thought it meant bad.  I get it means “not very good”, but I question its English definition.  Because average isn’t good nor bad, yet mediocre is used singularly in to imply average is bad.  That I think is mis-use.  I shall take it up with Susie Dent!

Re Bang Average I was talking about OTIB generally and see it used to describe something bad.

I think mediocre is only referenced as being bad as it isn't good. Football fans generally are intolerant of average and mediocre yet given background circumstances can also mean good.

So- Nigel Pearson's results  have been at best "mediocre". Does that tell the whole story?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ahhhhh

Where do you stand on scores :read:

For me someone having an average game, not good , not bad. Done enough without majorly affecting the game by assisting/scoring/goal saving tackle etc. For me that score starts at 6, but should start at 5.
In reality for me, 5 is only just doing the minimum without letting the team down too much but barely affecting things.

Decent Championship player & average Championship player , should equate to roughly the same. Mind you, stick "very" in front of decent and it goes up a level.

Semantics eh? :yes:

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Ahhhhh

For me someone having an average game, not good , not bad. Done enough without majorly affecting the game by assisting/scoring/goal saving tackle etc. For me that score starts at 6, but should start at 5.
In reality for me, 5 is only just doing the minimum without letting the team down too much but barely affecting things.

Decent Championship player & average Championship player , should equate to roughly the same. Mind you, stick "very" in front of decent and it goes up a level.

Likewise stick a "very" in front of mediocre and it goes down a level.

Semantics indeed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Ahhhhh

I read Match as a kid, 6/10 was the starting point.  So I’ve always gone with that.

If the range of scores is 0 to 10, then 5.5 is the mid-point.

I tend not to do “out of 10s” that often these days, but I know others use them a lot.

Ive learned a bit of English Language tonight, so thanks OTIB!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I’m sure many on here know, he was married to Lesley Crowther’s daughter - LC used to star in Crackerjack with Peter Glaze.

LC used to live in Corston, near Bath (not Wiltshire), and I had the pleasure of meeting them all one afternoon at the village fête.

He really was a very friendly and approachable young man, not at all like his stage image, as, indeed, was LC, but he (Phil L) was so obviously very high on something.

A very enjoyable afternoon, though.

Phil L to Les C ‘Can I have your daughter’s hand in marriage?’

LC: ‘Well, you’ve had everything else!  You might as well have her hand too’

Classic

Edited by stortfordred
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I read Match as a kid, 6/10 was the starting point.  So I’ve always gone with that.

If the range of scores is 0 to 10, then 5.5 is the mid-point.

I tend not to do “out of 10s” that often these days, but I know others use them a lot.

Ive learned a bit of English Language tonight, so thanks OTIB!

You're welcome Dave

P.s I wish I could learn all your pointy arrows and stats as quickly . I genuinely do try but it gives me a headache like equations did at school. I understand goals for and against which seems to work for me but I have absolutely no effing clue about when a penalty is a penalty except when watching other teams on telly.

Edited by Marina's Rolls Royce
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

For a club who have perennially under achieved given it's fan base, infrastructure and supposed ambition, It's somewhat bizarre that in recent seasons we've aspired to be 'Bang average' given our struggles. 
It's easy to see why some people adopt a cynical "believe it when I see it" attitude. It's difficult to remain optimistic when every new season promises so much and then disappoints. As @Davefevs says, It's the hope that kills you!!
FWIW, I think NP is doing a great job given the mess the club was in. It needed a root and branch review and it's been done and a coherent achievable plan has been put into action. Yes we'll have to be patient and sometimes that's difficult but for the first time in ages we seem to have a plan.
But yes, I think when you look at the big picture we've been average, mediocre, impressive and careless all in roughly equal measure. It's all part of the journey.

• Like 2