IGNORED

Italia 90

northsomersetred

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Terrible football, great tournament/times

My thoughts exactly. The quality of football was low but the tournament as a whole was a significant cultural event.

You could argue that this, followed by the founding of the Premier League, was a turning point in the history of the game, making it more fashionable and broadening its appeal globally.

Though there are big downsides to that of course.

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

The day modern football began, a huge watershed

Was about to say the same Rich. It made football more attractive after the various issues of the 80s and paved the way for the Premier League and what we know today. Not everything is good about that of course but you are right a huge moment in football.

• Like 1

Italia 90 is such an enigma. It was equally beautiful as it was boring. It was nostalgic and also forgetful at the same time. It's the most important World Cup of the modern era.. It really kick started Football being back in popular culture in UK after 2 decades of being related to violence.

-Back pass rule came in force after this Competition in 1992.
-3 Points for a win introduced in World Cups after 1990.
-English sides allowed to re enter European Competition due to good behaviour after the Tournament.
-English Division 1 modernised into the 'Premier League'. European Cup modernised into 'Champions League' just two years later. You cannot say these haven't been major global successes.

Football became glamorous again after this World Cup to wider audiences and you cannot say that the changes made since that World Cup have not been a success. It is easily the most important World Cup in modern History.

• Like 6

Agree it was an amazing tournament in that England got to the semis but apart from the actual semi final itself we were pretty poor and very lucky to not go out sooner.

My fave WC was Mexico 86. The baking heat, those ridiculously big box nets and some brilliant high scoring games. Maradona in his pomp as well (forgetting the HOG).

Brazil in Spain 82 though were out of this world. Some of the best goals I've ever seen. I'm fact the Socrates dummy for Eder to flick and then volley into net probably is my fave ever goal.

Argentina '78, proper World Cup, fer me. Exotic. Miles away, commentary over crackly lines, ticker-tape, military junta, no Ingerlund (no cry), Archie Gemmill, Mario Kempes, tons of players you'd never heard of (Teofilo Cubillas) and never would again (they just disappeared). Dodgy goings-on, path to the final "smoothed" for the hosts, Willie Johnston, Big Ron waiting at the airport, Adidas Tango balls, the ITV theme tune, the ball wobbling all over the shop from long shots, that Dutch team, Ubaldo Fillol. The Scots making an absolute tit of theirselves. Rene Van der Kick-off, bandages, delayed star. Dodgy. Same old Argies  (we'd never do anything of the sort).

It's always 78 for me, but everyone's different. Always found Argentina fascinating from June 1978. Still hoping to get there before @GrahamC and @EnclosureSurge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2015 said:

Italia 90 is such an enigma. It was equally beautiful as it was boring. It was nostalgic and also forgetful at the same time. It's the most important World Cup of the modern era.. It really kick started Football being back in popular culture in UK after 2 decades of being related to violence.

-Back pass rule came in force after this Competition in 1992.
-3 Points for a win introduced in World Cups after 1990.
-English sides allowed to re enter European Competition due to good behaviour after the Tournament.
-English Division 1 modernised into the 'Premier League'. European Cup modernised into 'Champions League' just two years later. You cannot say these haven't been major global successes.

Football became glamorous again after this World Cup to wider audiences and you cannot say that the changes made since that World Cup have not been a success. It is easily the most important World Cup in modern History.

Global successes yes but English  football's top division evolved into an International league based in England which is soulless anything global is largely corporate and  meaningless. For instance competing in European competitions with foreign management and largely foreign players will never be the same as with British players as a fan you're seeing nothing different than you see week in week out it was a real different experience to see foreign teams come to play. When you watch a world cup and the majority of the Brazil squad play in England it's not going to be as exciting is it. Italia 90 did indeed start the  changes in football that ensued, from a commercial financial infrastructural point of view it's been unqualified success however we've lost truly domestic football at the top level many younger supporters of course know no different but some of us can sometimes view it a little wistfully.

• Like 2

1982, 1986 and 1990 are the nostalgic World Cups for me. 

1982 was the first one I remember (I was only about 8 years old). I vividly recall Robson’s early goal v France, the Brazil v Italy game and the final.

1986 - Ray Wilkins getting sent off v Morocco, Lineker’s hat-trick, Maradonna’s hand ball. 

1990 - Roger Milla, England’s wins v Cameroon and Belgium, the bitter disappointment of the semi-final. 

1994 in the USA didn’t have the same appeal with England not playing. I still love the World Cup, but after 1990 it lost some of its magic for me. 

• Like 2

Went to the Belgium game(David Platt) 24 hour alcohol ban before the game and after, think we had to be in the ground 5 hours before ko, kept in for about an hour and half after the game, when we got out it was like facing the might of the Italian army...guns and water canons ready for us. It was a nasty place to be, the Italians liked to ride by on their scooters and stick a knife in your leg. Met some great fans of other clubs especially Man City and Pompey. Great times !!

1 hour ago, Offside said:

1982, 1986 and 1990 are the nostalgic World Cups for me. 

1982 was the first one I remember (I was only about 8 years old). I vividly recall Robson’s early goal v France, the Brazil v Italy game and the final.

1986 - Ray Wilkins getting sent off v Morocco, Lineker’s hat-trick, Maradonna’s hand ball. 

1990 - Roger Milla, England’s wins v Cameroon and Belgium, the bitter disappointment of the semi-final. 

1994 in the USA didn’t have the same appeal with England not playing. I still love the World Cup, but after 1990 it lost some of its magic for me. 

Yes 82, 86 and 90 all great for me too (the  first WC I remember was 78 but of course Scotland rather than England). 

In 82 I also vividly remember rushing home from school to watch England v France and Robson’s early goal. In addition for some reason we were allowed to watch the Brazil v Italy game in the school hall - great game. Highlights here: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/63604087

86 was my first year at uni so it was great fun in the communal area in the halls of residence. 90 - Gazza memories in particular.