IGNORED

Italia 90

northsomersetred

5 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

Global successes yes but English  football's top division evolved into an International league based in England which is soulless anything global is largely corporate and  meaningless. For instance competing in European competitions with foreign management and largely foreign players will never be the same as with British players as a fan you're seeing nothing different than you see week in week out it was a real different experience to see foreign teams come to play. When you watch a world cup and the majority of the Brazil squad play in England it's not going to be as exciting is it. Italia 90 did indeed start the  changes in football that ensued, from a commercial financial infrastructural point of view it's been unqualified success however we've lost truly domestic football at the top level many younger supporters of course know no different but some of us can sometimes view it a little wistfully.

Agree. I think we've gone past the point of the height of post Italia 90 success. Maybe it is nostalgia but during the 1990s until the mid 2010s I truly believe the Sport hit a peak. 

The new corporate proposals surrounding the Super League, Champions League and 48 team World Cup will be the turning point for many.

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

1970 for me.....first one in colour and that brazil team........

Must have been a child genius mate you weren’t even 2 years old for Brazil 1970??

15 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

On this day in 1990 Italia 90 started, was it really 34yrs ago?

Still my favourite World Cup to date

Don't you mean 33 years ago? (Just read some replies seems someone beat me to it :laugh:).

Edited by pillred

Anyone around my age will have the same experience as me.

I was 6 in the 1970 World Cup, remember it very vaguely and then I was 16 the next time we qualified.

So the whole of my/our growing up and school years, the years you form your football knowledge and allegiances we didn’t get to see England at World Cup finals and even more annoying Scotland went to both we missed.

As a City fan we did get to see our club in the top flight for 4 of those years though.

1990 will remain the most special though, unless we win it.

17 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Anyone around my age will have the same experience as me.

I was 6 in the 1970 World Cup, remember it very vaguely and then I was 16 the next time we qualified.

So the whole of my/our growing up and school years, the years you form your football knowledge and allegiances we didn’t get to see England at World Cup finals and even more annoying Scotland went to both we missed.

As a City fan we did get to see our club in the top flight for 4 of those years though.

1990 will remain the most special though, unless we win it.

Same here, East playing West Germany was special though in ‘74 and the Argie team in ‘78 With  Ardilles, Kempes, Luque etc was good to watch, Holland missing out in both finals despite being the best team in the tournament on both occasions must of been tough for them, they had some great players including the wonderfully named “Jonny Rep”

52 minutes ago, harrys said:

Same here, East playing West Germany was special though in ‘74 and the Argie team in ‘78 With  Ardilles, Kempes, Luque etc was good to watch, Holland missing out in both finals despite being the best team in the tournament on both occasions must of been tough for them, they had some great players including the wonderfully named “Jonny Rep”

Yes I really enjoyed both ‘74 but especially ‘78 with all the ticker tape, huge stadia and proper good quality live colour tv.

I can still remember the BBC theme tune for the tournament 

My two favourites were actually ones where England weren`t there, 78 & 94. 78 was just an incredible spectacle with some great players and games and 94 had some fabulous players scoring wonder goals (Hagi, Stoichkov), big Jack losing it on the touchline and the Yanks knowing how to put on a show.

Maybe I enjoyed them BECAUSE England weren`t there with all the worry that goes with that.