IGNORED

City pictures

Hello Dave

29 minutes ago, Real Mad Red said:

Hmmmm..... who had a smartphone in 1984???? We were only just upgrading Bristol CTE to digital at that time.

I think he meant he had a standard BT dial up handset but it was fashioned into a 3 piece suit.

20 hours ago, BS3City said:

Memories of a circa 4,000 crowd with probably 3,000 from Bristol. I was on the terrace behind the goal, and will never forget Trevor Morgan's goal or the final whistle celebrations. 

City had to send their own Stewards to Sealand Road to help Chetser cope with the vast influx that day.

• Robin 1

8 hours ago, 22A said:

City had to send their own Stewards to Sealand Road to help Chetser cope with the vast influx that day.

Our train was like a Special, it was all City.

I remember hiding in the toilets to avoid the Police. They rounded everyone up and marched them to the ground, we managed to have a wander around and drink in the Town. 
I seem to remember a Pub was so packed , a few lads took a table & Chairs outside , sit and have a drink. Right in the middle of a main road :clapping:

Me and a couple friends decided the night before we couldn’t possibly miss this match. So in a pub in Minehead, where we all lived nearby, we arranged to meet in the morning and my old car would be fine to get to Bristol and we’d get on one of the coaches. Nothing booked.

luckily when we arrived at Ashton Gate Beryl (a real genuine City legend) soon sorted us out with some seats on the final coach, it was something between a mini bus and a proper coach, maybe 20 odd seats. We took up the back seat and radio 1 was playing some bank holiday best of the 80s or similar. Such a brilliant and exciting journey up.

The journey home was just a party bus all the way home, I remember stopping at a service station which had a few coaches of Swansea fans, they didn’t know what had hit them when a dozen City coaches pulled in.

If the days of your life are represented by pebbles on a beach, very occasionally you come across a gem. This was a gem of a day.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 12/06/2023 at 21:10, Cannybluff said:

img.thumb.jpeg.8ca623341d25cafa2108ecb8c96dd5cd.jpeg 

That is the whole article if you're interested 

Thanks so much for posting this. Despite loads more high-profile and iconic glory days, both before and since, that day at Chester remains the most emotional occasion of my City-supporting life. 

Literally the only time I have ever cried actual tears at a football match. That moment when we were all on the pitch and TC and the lads emerged up in Chester's directors box... cannot ever be equalled. 

Even if we somehow reach the Premier League one day, or win the FA Cup or the Champions League, I don't think it can surpass the emotion of Chester 84, though you would need to have been there to understand why. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 of us were skint so decided to hitch hike to Chester.

My friends' Mum dropped us off early at the first motorway service station and we waited on the hard shoulder just past the exit with our City scarves on thumbing for a lift.

No joy for ages then a big posh car pulled up driven by a doctor who said he could take 1. My friend jumped in, 'see you there, IF you get there' he laughed as they sped off.

The other 2 of us must have waited another hour and were giving up all hope before a van pulled up. In it were about 10 blokes from Southmead. 'Jump in the back lads, there's a big barrel of cider, help yourselves.'

We could hardly believe our luck and so it was we arrived in Chester well inebriated and in time for a couple more pints in a pub packed with City fans before witnessing that epic game.

Our friend didn't get into Sealand Road until after half time. He wasn't laughing now, the doctor had dropped him off miles from the ground and he'd spent ages walking about, not really knowing where he was!

At the end we charged on the pitch, and just as at Coventry years before a bloke right in front of me was rugby tackled to the ground by a steward - absolutely clattered the poor sod - which I couldn't help laughing at, mind you I was euphoric!

The magnificent Southmead lot agreed to give our friend a lift back as well so the cider drinking and singing continued all the way back to Bristol until they dropped us off at their local, the Bear and Rugged Staff.

We made our way to one of our regular haunts in WOT well in time for last orders to continue the celebrations. Just a fantastic day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

On 12/06/2023 at 19:24, ralphindevon said:

I was at Chester and it still remains my favourite away days, trouble is my smartphone battery went dead so no photos.

Seriously, it was a great day but a bank holiday and as most photographers had worked Saturday they didn’t seem keen on working Monday too.

There was some good photos in the WDP the next day, including Terry Cooper being lifted on a players shoulders and nearly falling off, which would have been catastrophic as they were stood up in the stand with a big drop. I’d love to see them again.

I was there and it sticks to the memory and will always be among the most memorable.

However, another one for me was Northampton in the previous season. Yes the 1-7 hammering. I walked out at the end of the match not feeling disgusted or upset because the side didn't at any stage, give up. The six or seven kids with a few older heads, stuck to their task right to the end,  We still had a team to support.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

A gas friend of mine came with me, he had just been dumped by his wife so was on a total downer, boy did he let off steam that day, twas just what he needed as he constantly reminded me in the years that followed...great day out...pub in the pedestrianised town centre was brilliant,

44 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I was there and it sticks to the memory and will always be among the most memorable.

However, another one for me was Northampton in the previous season. Yes the 1-7 hammering. I walked out at the end of the match not feeling disgusted or upset because the side didn't at any stage, give up. The six or seven kids with a few older heads, stuck to their task right to the end,  We still had a team to support.

I wasn’t at Northampton but remember it well, listening to either commentary or updates. It was a Sunday in September and we’d been picking apples.

As you say, there was fight in the very youthful team and although it was a shock hearing us let in 7 it did feel at that time that we had already hit rock bottom and thing’s would improve.

The two games that confirmed our phoenix like rise from the ashes for me were, one nil down two one up we knocked Rovers out the cup and Chester.

I must admit after what we’d been through I wasn’t expecting to reach the top tier anytime soon but remember thinking how brilliant it would be being an established 2nd tier club. Well that’s what we are now and after over 40 years maybe it will be our turn to experience the top flight again……soon!