IGNORED

Kane Wilson to Derby - Confirmed

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

I understand that but surely you would think he'd be able to adapt rather than being sold after just 5 games. I mean I understand it and I suppose Pearson wants that height at the back but it's still a very odd decision to not even try to teach him that role and instead sell. 

I understand the logic, I do wonder if Pearson will think twice about buying a player specifically for one role and one role only going forward.

I think you're being a bit overly simplistic about it.

"You'd think he'd be able to adapt" - on what basis?! He's human! "To not even try to teach him that role" - how do you know that hasn't been the case? Maybe he's just not been able to?

It's also worth remembering that he's leaped from League Two up to the Championship. It's a huge jump. Maybe he's mentally struggled with it? Maybe he's been overwhelmed by it? Maybe he's had confidence issues after the injury? Maybe the injury means he won't be quite the same player?

My point is... maybe a hundred different scenarios. It's not Championship Manager.

Apologies, also worth adding rather than just putting it all on the player... maybe we just feel like we got it wrong/made a misjudgement and rather than doubling down we're moving him down a level so he can get on with his career and we can get on with building for a new season without someone, having seen them at close quarters, we don't think is for us.

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW, Wilson has played RB lots of times in his career, so it’s not about him not being taught the role.

The simple answer is that after a year here, he’s been deemed to not be what we want going forward…for whatever reason that is, whether that be ability, attitude, fitness, size (unlikely)…who knows.  The club / squad is always evolving.

Seeing as Nige is very much one to give players a real chance (sometimes more than one), this just needs to be put down to “one of those things”.  I think trying to second guess the reason and then decide that is the reason is a bit futile.

But it’s a forum, so fill your boots! ?

Overall our recruitment has been much better under Nige.

If Nige has got this signing wrong in his own mind, whatever the justification and reasoning, I would much rather he deals with it and offloads the player somewhere he is wanted than continue our "tried and totally untrusted" method of keeping these players stockpiled high in the hope they finally turn a corner when the reality is they are more likely to be caught hiding in the HPC twelve months down the line.........

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

We may do, but I think the planned friendly match has been cancelled as we have been drawn together in the League Cup.

There’s been nothing about the cancellation and club are still selling Robinstv passes for the game.

Interesting comment from Paul Warne today that Kane Wilson is “a long way off full fitness” & I noticed he only made a short sub appearance in their friendly at the weekend.

Also heard that the Bolton move did fall through because he failed their medical which makes you wonder what sort of one Derby did & after Pearson’s comment last season about him having to “manage his fitness” how much he’s actually going to pplay.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2023 at 15:01, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well it's a wage saving at least if so.

Could it have offset a bit of the fee for Knight maybe the no fee aspect?

On 14/07/2023 at 15:30, Davefevs said:

Suspect that might be the case.  Got some appearance based add-ons too I heard.  

When the move was first touted , several sources said it was definitely two separate deals . I wonder if the medical made them change their thoughts. It did seem to change very quickly.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting comment from Paul Warne today that Kane Wilson is “a long way off full fitness” & I noticed he only made a short sub appearance in their friendly at the weekend.

Also heard that the Bolton move did fall through because he failed their medical which makes you wonder what sort of one Derby did & after Pearson’s comment last season about him having to “manage his fitness” how much he’s actually going to pplay.

Interesting, can kind of excuse it last season but in pre season that’s very surprising 

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Only just seen he’s now out for a minimum of 8 weeks with a tendon injury.

After the Bolton business I’m amazed he passed the Derby medical, he hasn’t started a league game now since May ‘22.

Hamstring tendon apparently. Shame for the lad - he was so promising in 2022-23 pre-season and then got his injury. What might have been. I always think back to Karleigh Osborne’s injury in pre-season before our league one championship season as I thought he might have been a starter; what might have been there too for both him and us (of course Ayling, Flint, and Williams then made a wonderful back 3 and the rest is history). Wilson is starting to look a bit like Liam Walsh though in terms of injuries - and Pearson alluded to needing him to work harder to get fitter - in which case we did well to transfer him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Only just seen he’s now out for a minimum of 8 weeks with a tendon injury.

After the Bolton business I’m amazed he passed the Derby medical, he hasn’t started a league game now since May ‘22.

He got the Bristol City curse then

• Like 1
  • Confused 1