IGNORED

Gary O’Neil sacked by Bournemouth

Wow ! That’s criminal ! If we were all sacked tomorrow after meeting all of our work objectives with ease and replaced before we had chance to take the photo of the  Mrs off the desk , we’d be straight onto an employment solicitor and we’d all win ! How football continues to get away with this beggars belief ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Wow ! That’s criminal ! If we were all sacked tomorrow after meeting all of our work objectives with ease and replaced before we had chance to take the photo of the  Mrs off the desk , we’d be straight onto an employment solicitor and we’d all win ! How football continues to get away with this beggars belief ! 

Will all be detailed in his contract regarding terms of severance. Remember football managers are all on fixed term contracts unlike , most of the working population 

45 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Does this not show how these big money foreign owners just do not understand football at all

Yes agree to some extent but otoh perhaps and O'Neil deserved better IMO but as another poster outlined some quite good work in Spain and maybe he could tap contacts if Bournemouth are looking at the Spanish market he might be able to point them forward.

Bill Foley also has a minority stake in Lorient Ligue 1 so maybe this will all feed in. Lorient fans don't appreciate the idea btw. Or at least their ultras.

From January.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2023/fc-lorient-fans-mobilise-against-bill-foley-ownership/

Perhaps promising Spanish players may get a bit of a school there and if they're good, well Bournemouth are very much on the horizon. Spanish coach, help identify some promising prospects.

Last 10, 15 years feeder clubs, multi club models it really leaves me cold. People say oh modern football but the pace of change. Laat 10 years especially.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Redstart said:

Some of these owners ? ain’t got a bloody clue . Lets get a foreign lad in that’s never managed in England & sack a manager that’s massively improved a team destined for relegation . ????

ive had a pop at Lansdown over the years for poor managerial appointments & rightly so but this is mental 

Lots of 'noise' around Luton in the PL but to me Bournemouth are and have always been, a lesser club than Luton. Could say the same about Brentford too but they didn't buy a place in the PL as Bournemouth did.

Thirty, even twenty years ago, if some one had said we'd be a league below Bournemouth  Brentford and Luton, you'd have thought things would be going very badly for us...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Baldyman said:

They pay up his contract. No need for a dodgy employment tribunal, that the employers lawyers will make a mockery of by delay!

The only injury here is to the blokes ego!

I kinda get why they’ve sacked O’Neil.  I’m guessing their aspirations are higher than where they think he can take them.  I think that is fair enough, even if it appears harsh.

Whether the new man is the right man, remains to be seen…strong chance he’ll fall flat on his arse (most managers do) and the sacking of O’Neil will look silly.

O’Neil leaves with reputation in-tact, but his that prepares him for next job is unknown.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I kinda get why they’ve sacked O’Neil.  I’m guessing their aspirations are higher than where they think he can take them.  I think that is fair enough, even if it appears harsh.

Whether the new man is the right man, remains to be seen…strong chance he’ll fall flat on his arse (most managers do) and the sacking of O’Neil will look silly.

O’Neil leaves with reputation in-tact, but his that prepares him for next job is unknown.

Wait a few weeks and there’s bound to be an opportunity at Watford for him!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Does this not show how these big money foreign owners just do not understand football at all

There's a  fair few of our fans that think that big money English owners just do not understand football at all!  :whistle2:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Reminds me a bit of when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins to much criticism (who got them promoted) for Pochettino who was an unknown to most English fans at that point, Poch obviously improved them massively and the rest is history 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Yep . If day two of pre-season doesn’t go well then Ismael’s position could be totally untenable ?

Pre-season?

If he doesn't send the owner a postcard from his holidays his days could be numbered!