IGNORED

Gary O’Neil sacked by Bournemouth

7 minutes ago, Jazzy said:

Slightly off topic but one of the oddest City related moments I’ve witnessed was seeing Gary O’Neil hobble around the London Underground on his own only a couple of hours after we lost 2-0 to Brentford.

I will raise you ,returning to London from Ashton Gate when we we beat Man U in the old second division, I was in the same Tube carriage as Stuart Houston, he was sporting to shiners, I had to ask how? he said 'Gow'.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I'd argue the same about Big Sam too, I've no idea where he gained his reputation as a firefighter from, but when you look at the three jobs he had for a reasonable amount of time, Bolton, West Ham and Blackburn, he built a pretty decent side. His recruitment was always a strength and I still firmly believe if he had a job for a few years he'd be able to replicate some of the early success of his career. Everton would be nowhere near where they are now had they stuck with him, for instance. 

I'd have Big Sam here in a heartbeat. 

Big Sam is one I don't think got the credit or opportunities he necessarily deserved for sure. May be pushing towards the end now but he needed some time to build something- not something he has often been afforded, at Blackburn he was crazily sacked by new owners (Venkys) and then Steve Kean got given the role. That worked well.. 

• Like 1

New American owner, who has jumped from NFL to Ice hockey to IFL (indoor) . I think it was always on the cards, he did well to see the season out. I have a feeling @chinapig is on the money with a "name" coming in, or a higher profile person in Bill Foley'a eyes . 

5 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I'd argue the same about Big Sam too, I've no idea where he gained his reputation as a firefighter from, but when you look at the three jobs he had for a reasonable amount of time, Bolton, West Ham and Blackburn, he built a pretty decent side. His recruitment was always a strength and I still firmly believe if he had a job for a few years he'd be able to replicate some of the early success of his career. Everton would be nowhere near where they are now had they stuck with him, for instance. 

I'd have Big Sam here in a heartbeat. 

Except he said when he left Leeds that he wasn't interested in a project. Can't see him doing the kind of challenging rebuild job Nigel has done

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Except he said when he left Leeds that he wasn't interested in a project. Can't see him doing the kind of challenging rebuild job Nigel has done

Yeah, it's been a decade or so now since he had that sort of gig. Since he left West Ham all his jobs have been mid-season starts and not staying beyond the end of it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jazzy said:

Slightly off topic but one of the oddest City related moments I’ve witnessed was seeing Gary O’Neil hobble around the London Underground on his own only a couple of hours after we lost 2-0 to Brentford.

I think our entire treatment of him as a player was negligible to say the least. Probably got a fair few long term issues because of it tbh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I think our entire treatment of him as a player was negligible to say the least. Probably got a fair few long term issues because of it tbh. 

Same with Joe Williams, who went public about it. Which is why Dave Rennie is still Nigel's best signing imo.

• Like 8

Gary gets a bit of stick (a pointy one maybe) but I don't think he was ever truly fully fit when he was here. He wouldn't be the first player in recent years to be played against the better advice of some. Also wouldn't be the first to be in the hands of dodgy medical staff either, but I speculate about both points there.

He has coached at Liverpool, and performed wonders at Bournemouth, despite originally being seen as a stop gap appointment. 

This has all the marks of someone being named within hours. I don't think he'll have a problem getting another job, if he wants it. Maybe one of the more unfashionable Prem sides will take a chance if something comes up, or even a Championship side hoping to build something, as someone alluded to, maybe someone like us if Nige was to leave (hopefully no time soon though).

His stock will be fairly high. Would be surprised if he isn't in a job by September.

16 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Indeed, I'm probably thinking of the missed opportunity from the last decade or so for him. Its just sad that one of the more evolutionary minds English football has produced has been pigeon holed into the same space as Warnock etc. 

I absolutely agree that he was an innovator in his day, especially at Bolton, but in due course the game passed him by.

What West Ham and Everton fans disliked was the style of football. Not that those clubs have recruited managers very well since!

As great of a job that O'Neil did, and I think it is ******* bonkers and unfair to sack him, you would imagine someone like Iraiola has a 'higher ceiling' in how he could progress the club. He's played consistently at the top level and been managed by some exceptional managers. Of course there are no guarantees, and just having played under some good managers is not enough, but it's presumably a calculated gamble.

I'm gutted for O'Neil though and he has been very hard done by. Hopefully he can find a good job soon.

41 minutes ago, Distortia said:

As great of a job that O'Neil did, and I think it is ******* bonkers and unfair to sack him, you would imagine someone like Iraiola has a 'higher ceiling' in how he could progress the club. He's played consistently at the top level and been managed by some exceptional managers. Of course there are no guarantees, and just having played under some good managers is not enough, but it's presumably a calculated gamble.

I'm gutted for O'Neil though and he has been very hard done by. Hopefully he can find a good job soon.

You're making him sound like one of those player to manager coaches like Lampard or Gerrard, but he's already had managerial success and was playing good football at Vallecano last season (they wanted to retain him) finishing in 11th. He was also Leeds' preferred candidate, but Vallecano refused the approach (hence refusing the contract offer from Vallecano). He also got Mirandes (A newly promoted Spanish side into their second tier) to the semi-final of the Copa-del-Dey, which would be like Plymouth doing it in the FA Cup this season. 

It's a great appointment, but the treatment of O'Neill is undoubtedly foul in this case.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Isn’t Potter the most likely?

You can understand why they would not necessarily rely on a novice going forward, despite his short term success. Odd to have given him an 18 month contract though. Perhaps they assumed they were going down?

There was a clause in his contract giving him an extension if he kept them up.

• Thanks 1

The only one coming out of this well is Gary tbf. Can easily see him managing in the prem again this coming season with the amount of sackings their are mid season.

Either way I think sacking him is ludicrous. Would’ve built a good rapport with the team and I’d imagine the dressing room would all be behind him since he’s kept em up. Should’ve at least been given the start of the season. Especially with how weak the prem looks next year.

1 hour ago, Distortia said:

Think their fans feel the same .

Appreciate  he did a very good job but the owners want more .

Risky though as my club can testify !