IGNORED

Gary O’Neil sacked by Bournemouth

I mean they aren’t going to stay up anyway but now hoping they finish bottom just below Luton. Not sure who they think they are in the premier league standings but 17th will always be a massive achievement for a club as small as theirs. There’s a reason they had to put him in charge to begin with…. 

• Like 4

Wow - shocking decision. And his replacement has the most difficult job in football, replace a popular manager who achieved safety comfortably and as a minimum match that achievement. I bet the replacement has them bottom 3 and loses their job by February. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Who'd want to be a football manager? 

Undoubtedly they've got their eye on someone else who they believe will do a better job. 

O'Neil should find another job relatively quickly based on the great job he did there. 

He will find a decent job. His reputation was always high and much more so since the job he did last season. 

Nige is doing a good job and completely safe but if, hypothetically, our job was up for grabs, O’Neill would be right up there as a sensible choice. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Sounds like they’re appointing someone else today, so have gone behind his back basically

"Welcome Lee Johnson to Bournemouth AFC"

"We had to move quickly to beat Leeds United to the appointment" ?

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm a broken record but will take some convincing that Pearson wouldn't be a more applicable choice than  a host of bottom third or a few bottom third PL let along top third Championship managers. A range.

My guess is the owner, not knowing anything about football, wants someone more famous. So Frank Lampard it is then. ?

• Flames 2

46 minutes ago, !james said:

Similar to when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins and all the neutrals went mad - Pochettino came in and moved the club forwards. 

True. Couple of significant differences though - Bournemouth aren't Southampton and, while we wait to see who they appoint, I bet it won't be the next Pochettino.

The example you quote is the exception rather than the rule, after all. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jazzy said:

Slightly off topic but one of the oddest City related moments I’ve witnessed was seeing Gary O’Neil hobble around the London Underground on his own only a couple of hours after we lost 2-0 to Brentford.

I also saw this and spoke to him briefly, he was livid he was made to play against his wishes that day knowing he was injured. I said about it in here the following day and was told I was making it up!

On topic, shocking decision by Bournemouth. Hopefully this bites them on the ass massively this coming season.

• Like 1