IGNORED

Digital Ticketing

westonred

35 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Additional costs would be minimal.  I dont see why you would be paying for it.

They are probably saving money from going digital.

I currently have 4 season tickets. I'm happy for my adult ticket to be digital, but for the kids, i want a physical one and if that means its going to cost an extra £30, i'll have to consider, not getting the additional 3 season tickets in future.

32 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Why does it bother you so much? Yes there will be some who get a card just for the sake of it, but there are plenty of our supporters who physically need a card, for all manner of reasons.

If 90% of our fans go for the digital option, the cost involved in sending out 1000 or so physical card will be negligible in the scheme of things.

24 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Not sure why it's bothering you that much what options other people choose.

By you choosing the digital option you're negating the need for them to charge fans for the physical option.

As you say Riaz, they are saving money by going digital. That's the point. Saving money on the admin side so that they have more money to spend on the playing side. So - OTIB - I don't want the savings from my going digital to negate the need for charging for administration, I want it to go on improving what happens on the pitch!

As I've said, it doesn't bother me - quite the opposite, I'm happy for people to have the choice. I'm merely saying that in exactly the same way as you now pay a premium to buy energy other than by direct debit, in the same way as you now pay admin fees for changing insurance policies, in the same way as you now pay charges for physical tickets for other events, it's not unreasonable for the club to charge the actual cost of the choices people make.

And, yes, I'd be happy for the club to waive those charges where there's a genuine need and its not a choice  - but I'm not sure how they establish that given the very evident propensity of some to tell lies!

Anyway, enough of that - I agree this isn't a big issue in the scheme of things - it only started it out of a curiosity about how OTIB would have aligned their answering of the questions with a post back on the first page of this thread ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Or alternatively you pay £500 for my 78 year old uncle to buy a smartphone? Not to mention the fact that he had one he wouldn’t have a clue how to operate it. Personally I couldn’t care less if the club bung a fiver a season on my card price so old ‘un’s or anyone who prefers a card for that matter can get a season card.

I understand your point, but just want to clarify that you certainly don't need to spend £500 on a smartphone.

No doubt you plucked this figure out of the air for dramatic affect, fair enough if you need to emphasise your point. But I don't want mis information and scaremongering. You do not need an expensive phone for this technology.

Like I said, I understand your point that many people are incapable of even wanting to use a phone. But that is another issue. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

As you say Riaz, they are saving money by going digital. That's the point. Saving money on the admin side so that they have more money to spend on the playing side. So - OTIB - I don't want the savings from my going digital to negate the need for charging for administration, I want it to go on improving what happens on the pitch!

As I've said, it doesn't bother me - quite the opposite, I'm happy for people to have the choice. I'm merely saying that in exactly the same way as you now pay a premium to buy energy other than by direct debit, in the same way as you now pay admin fees for changing insurance policies, in the same way as you now pay charges for physical tickets for other events, it's not unreasonable for the club to charge the actual cost of the choices people make.

And, yes, I'd be happy for the club to waive those charges where there's a genuine need and its not a choice  - but I'm not sure how they establish that given the very evident propensity of some to tell lies!

Anyway, enough of that - I agree this isn't a big issue in the scheme of things - it only started it out of a curiosity about how OTIB would have aligned their answering of the questions with a post back on the first page of this thread ?

It is unreasonable.

Ive always had a physical ticket for my kids - and next season, i'm going to be charged more for that?

The cost of making physical cards will be negligible for a business the size of our club.

To charge us a tenner per card, would be petty.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Riaz said:

It is unreasonable.

Ive always had a physical ticket for my kids - and next season, i'm going to be charged more for that?

The cost of making physical cards will be negligible for a business the size of our club.

One way to view it. The other is that you're going to be charged just the same for your kids' tickets, but you'll get £10 off what you'd otherwise have paid for yours by going digital.

But of course there'll never be that level of transparency about how charges are worked out and certainly not when it comes to football finances!

It's not uncommon though, is it?

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, eardun said:

Q&A said instructions on how to forward a ticket will follow, but I would expect it to be via your online account rather than your wallet. I can see a forward ticket button on my account in the tickets section. 

I’m not seeing that on mine anywhere. 
think the person who will go instead of the actual season ticket holder, will need a Bristol Sports account and will need to link it to the holders account and supporter ID. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Riaz said:

It is unreasonable.

No cost of “production” and linked software is negligible.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Or alternatively you pay £500 for my 78 year old uncle to buy a smartphone? Not to mention the fact that he had one he wouldn’t have a clue how to operate it. Personally I couldn’t care less if the club bung a fiver a season on my card price so old ‘un’s or anyone who prefers a card for that matter can get a season card.

If the choice is between a £500 phone purely to use for a digital ticket, or paying £10 for a card, then I'd have thought the choice was pretty obvious!

And I don't buy the 'old uns can't do it' line. Not saying your uncle wouldn't have a problem, but my 90 year old neighbour does all her shopping on line.

Seriously, I'd be happy to bung that fiver for anyone who genuinely can't (as I've already said): what I'm less happy about is bunging a fiver to those who "can't be arsed" to quote an earlier post. Figure out how to distinguish between the two and I'll be quite happy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, italian dave said:

You mean this post that just so happens to be (as far as I can tell) the post in these 10 pages that had the most interactions and seemingly agreeing 'likes'?

image.thumb.png.c01651cec104142b8023987d646eba74.png

As I explained my answers to the questions agree with what I said there.

No I don't need a physical one, I want one. So I answered the questions in the survey in a way that allows me to do that.

Quite simple.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, frenchred said:

What is petty is demanding a physical card when it's not really needed and putting non existent barriers in the way of progress

Exactly. I've just read a comment on a facebook group saying "my son and I are getting a physical ticket as we are not INTERESTED in a digital one. Nothing about can't use, just "not interested".

Well I truly hope the club gives a good discount next year, say at least £25 if you would embrace technology ( reasonable exceptions for elderly and people with disabilities). I wonder how many people then would suddenly have or are able to use a phone!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, frenchred said:

What is petty is demanding a physical card when it's not really needed and putting non existent barriers in the way of progress

It is absolutely needed. For over 95% of people, the technology will work perfectly. For a small amount of users, it wont, for various reasons. Those people shouldnt be charged extra. Its the club changing, not the people using physical cards

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly. I've just read a comment on a facebook group saying "my son and I are getting a physical ticket as we are not INTERESTED in a digital one. Nothing about can't use, just "not interested".

Well I truly hope the club gives a good discount next year, say at least £25 if you would embrace technology ( reasonable exceptions for elderly and people with disabilities). I wonder how many people then would suddenly have or are able to use a phone!

I am using it - for myself, so i am defo not turning my back on the technology. For my kids, it gets more complicated, because i dont always have them. I let other people take my kids OR give the tickets to other kids to use.

It would be a ballache.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No cost of “production” and linked software is negligible.

I dont see how they could make everyone use this new system.

They will have to have an easy alternative for older people, to dont bother with phones for example.

So they are going to have to print some physical cards. And then the cost to do more, cant be much

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Some will prefer to have it on their phones and some will prefer to have a card. I really don’t see why this should annoy others regarding the decision other fans make. 

The club should accommodate for both & it looks as if they are. 

Common sense

1 hour ago, ooRya said:

What is NFC?

Surely you have been in shops etc and see people tapping their phones against the contactless reader on chip and pin machines to pay for stuff. Tapping the reader to gain entry to the ground is exactly the same. 

12 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I am using it - for myself, so i am defo not turning my back on the technology. For my kids, it gets more complicated, because i dont always have them. I let other people take my kids OR give the tickets to other kids to use.

It would be a ballache.

Personally I think for kids they should be issued with a physical ticket, maybe a different colour from the normal adult/concessions ones.  It would also cut down on a lot of fraud at the turnstiles with adults using kids tickets to get in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Personally I think for kids they should be issued with a physical ticket, maybe a different colour from the normal adult/concessions ones.  It would also cut down on a lot of fraud at the turnstiles with adults using kids tickets to get in. 

They have different colour lights on the turnstiles, green for adult and amber for OAPs.

Not that the stewards seem to take much notice of them.  

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

Surely you have been in shops etc and see people tapping their phones against the contactless reader on chip and pin machines to pay for stuff. Tapping the reader to gain entry to the ground is exactly the same. 

I’m sure many of us have been using our phones for contactless payments without ever having heard of NFC. Certainly applies to me!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes I have,and I've seen them not work for various reasons while I stand there tutting holding my crisp £20 note

I'm sorry but whenever big business says here's an exciting new system it's always more complicated for a lot of people. Some might think it's simpler but then some wouldn't mind having a barcode tattooed on their forehead.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes I have. That doesn't mean that I knew what NFC is though does it?

Christ, some people on here............................

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Revitalised Red said:

Ok, I was one of the unsure ones who was going to request a physical ticket but have decided to give the digital one a go.  What I have done though is move my wallet to the front page of my iPhone so it is easier to find and open.  Also thanks for the advice others have posted which has allowed me to make sure that I have set it up correctly.

Expect we’ll also find that the tickets pop up on our locked home screens as we approach the match - that’s what happens to my Trainline tickets so I don’t even have to go to wallet; I just click the notification. Just have to ensure that ‘allow notifications’ and ‘show on Lock Screen’ are on (in the same place as the ‘automatic updates’ button).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, !james said:

Yes entry level phone so no NFC, have to be a physical card then but your statement that most Android phones do not have NFC is incorrect... 

So if so many of us don't have a suitable phone, what is the point of changing the entry to stadium method? The club is acting very stupidly IMO!

It's a shame that many of our supporters are so sarcastic about those of us who are significantly older than many of our supporters. We are not stupid old cretins. Then again supporting City for seventy years probably does say a lot for my intelligence!

It's always the fans who come every match who suffer, not those with pots of money who can afford phones that cost an arm and a leg. The fans who have always paid their way with turnstile operators, clerical staff and Directors taking their share of the "gate money" which was one of the reasons for 1982. And who got us back on track? People like me who put his total savings account(£90) in new shares. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So if so many of us don't have a suitable phone, what is the point of changing the entry to stadium method? The club is acting very stupidly IMO!

It's a shame that many of our supporters are so sarcastic about those of us who are significantly older than many of our supporters. We are not stupid old cretins. Then again supporting City for seventy years probably does say a lot for my intelligence!

It's always the fans who come every match who suffer, not those with pots of money who can afford phones that cost an arm and a leg. The fans who have always paid their way with turnstile operators, clerical staff and Directors taking their share of the "gate money" which was one of the reasons for 1982. And who got us back on track? People like me who put his total savings account(£90) in new shares. 

I would say the vast majority of people attending will have a compatible smartphone or be with someone who does (if kids tickets). 

Unfortunately whether you like it/agree with it most clubs are now going digital. For me and a lot of other people its safer and more convenient. 

There will always be a minority who cant use it and they will have to accommodate those with physical cards but i wouldn't say the club are acting 'stupidly' just moving with the times, like when it went from paper tickets to a plastic card... 

• Like 1