IGNORED

The FA Cup 2023/24 Season

phantom

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

“Forest Green Rovers' FA Cup second-round tie at Blackpool on Saturday has been postponed due to a Football Association investigation into League Two Rovers”

What’s going on ‘ere then? 🤔

Only thing I can think of is the emergency goalkeeper loan for Belshaw. 
Their first choice keeper is back fit again so it might be that they should have cancelled the emergency loan once he was back. 

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

“Forest Green Rovers' FA Cup second-round tie at Blackpool on Saturday has been postponed due to a Football Association investigation into League Two Rovers”

What’s going on ‘ere then? 🤔

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Only thing I can think of is the emergency goalkeeper loan for Belshaw. 
Their first choice keeper is back fit again so it might be that they should have cancelled the emergency loan once he was back. 

Would they have played a potentially ineligible player? 

See like the only reason to stop the game being played 

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

Would they have played a potentially ineligible player? 

See like the only reason to stop the game being played 

Yes. Talk now that it could potentially be an ineligible player. 
Olly Sulley played for FGR v Scarborough but he may also have already played in the FA Cup earlier this season when he was on loan to Bitton. 
This could be it 

Edited by Harry
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Yes. Talk now that it could potentially be an ineligible player. 
Olly Sulley played for FGR v Scarborough but he may also have already played in the FA Cup earlier this season when he was on loan to Bitton. 
This could be it 

Surely that rule is a hangover from the days before transfer windows? Seems harsh to penalise any club for that these days. About time they got rid of it, I reckon.

1 hour ago, bredwood said:

Surely that rule is a hangover from the days before transfer windows? Seems harsh to penalise any club for that these days. About time they got rid of it, I reckon.

Agreed. 
Seems silly that you can sign a player in Jan who has played 25 league games and he can continue to play in the league, but if he’d played 1 cup game he’s not allowed to continue to play in the cup. 

Especially as in this case with Forest Green, they are a league 2 club and he played for a Step 4 non league club. Not exactly gaining an advantage is it! 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bredwood said:

The rules were brought in, along with transfer deadline day in March, to stop clubs buying loads of players for a final push but it is redundant now.

There will be a case where some lad gets bought by a premier league club from a lower one in January, he tears it up, and his new club goes on to get to the Cup Final. He`ll have played ten minutes for his old club in Round Two and will be stopped from playing in the final because of it.

Lots of speculation here locally.

Football wise,  playing Belshall the goal keeper when others were fit and he was only there as an emergency loan.

Non football, flying the Palestinian flag in the FA cup replay against Scarborough. 

But like everyone is thinking, why so late in the day? They haven't got a big fan base, but some have booked train tickets and hotel rooms.

Fans last again

13 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

Lots of speculation here locally.

Football wise,  playing Belshall the goal keeper when others were fit and he was only there as an emergency loan.

Non football, flying the Palestinian flag in the FA cup replay against Scarborough. 

But like everyone is thinking, why so late in the day? They haven't got a big fan base, but some have booked train tickets and hotel rooms.

Fans last again

They wouldn’t call a game off because of some flag waving. 
It’s either the Belshaw emergency loan when Daniels has been back fit again or it’ll be Sully having played for Bitton on loan in an earlier round. 
I can’t seem to find Bitton’s FA Cup fixtures online so I can’t check, but he was playing regularly for them before he came back and then played v Scarborough 

• Like 3

Reading up on some of the emergency loan regulations, it seems that a player can play in an FA cup game but then if the emergency loanee is to also be played in a replay then it needs agreement (or permanent signing).
The wording is quite complex, so I’m not 100%. But this could mean that when Belshaw played in the replay he was ineligible. 

"A player on temporary (loan) transfer is eligible to play in a replay, a match rescheduled as a result of a postponement, abandonment or in a match ordered to be replayed, if transferred permanently by the lending Club to the loaning Club after the Registration Deadline for that round, provided that the player was eligible to play for the loaning Club in the original match and the players registration with the loaning Club is continuous from the Registration Deadline for that round through to the date of the replay or rescheduled match."
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Harry if Belshaw had successive 7 day emergency extensions, that would count as continuous.

The Daniel’s being fit is a viable reason if so, as is the Bitton loanee.

Will be interesting to see what the reason turns out to be.

Yeah I’m not sure the Bitton loanee is the problem any more. I couldn’t find their Fa cup fixtures but someone said they didn’t play in it this year for some reason, so it rules Sully out. 
It’s just a bit confusing over the wording on the fa cup replay rules. It seems to suggest they should have signed him as a permanent to be able to play in a replay.