IGNORED

December 14 1981 Evening Post

Red Billy

26 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Thanks for the reminder Bill.Completely forgot about Clive Green going to Maidstone.Heady days indeed. 

And Kirti Azad being caught,  the memories come flooding back 

Edited by southside
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Future generations won't have this, the old newspapers found in obscure places, a treasure trove of past memories. 

Old newspapers were indeed fantastic. Especially when they were used to wrap up yer chips.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I used to love finding old newspapers when doing renovations, I always felt obligated to read them, found some right gems over the years

When re-decorating I always used to write obscure messages on the walls, before applying the wallpaper, to be found by subsequent owners of the house. Unfortunately I don’t wallpaper anymore, just emulsion the walls, so I can’t do this anymore 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Future generations won't have this, the old newspapers found in obscure places, a treasure trove of past memories. 

Yep, I kept the Evening Post and a national daily from the day I got married- 1985 - also the Evening Post from when my 2 children were born as I'd put messages in the births section.

Fascinating to look back on them, a completely different world in so many ways.

Also came across a Daily Mail 'late war news' edition from 1944 when clearing out my father in laws' stuff recently, with his parents' address in St. Andrew's scribbled along the top for delivery just like it was yesterday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, I kept the Evening Post and a national daily from the day I got married- 1985 - also the Evening Post from when my 2 children were born as I'd put messages in the births section.

Fascinating to look back on them, a completely different world in so many ways.

Also came across a Daily Mail 'late war news' edition from 1944 when clearing out my father in laws' stuff recently, with his parents' address in St. Andrew's scribbled along the top for delivery just like it was yesterday.

You can't throw those out, they are priceless.

I used to play Sunday morning pub football with an old striker who told me stories of all the goals he scored in local football when he was younger. I took it with a pinch of salt, until I refloored my loft and found old Evening Posts from the 1980s. Nearly every one mentioned the guy banging in goals for various local teams ?

• Like 1

Growing up in West Somerset there was an abandoned mansion on the edge of our village. As kids we would occasionally climb through a broken window and explore inside.

One day we were upstairs larking about when I noticed an old Evening Post that had been used as carpet underlay, the carpet long gone.

On closer examination I could see it was a report on an FA Cup final, Manchester United  1 Bristol City 0, April 1909.

I was about to rescue it and take it home when a loud angry voice shouted from downstairs, we all scarpered as quickly as we could and the next day the whole place had been boarded up.

That was the last time any of us set foot in there, it was soon demolished for a new housing estate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

£8000 in 1981 between 2 non league clubs seems a lot!

How did he get on at Maidstone? 

28 goals in 86 appearances, '82 to '86.

Imminent transfer from Yeovil reported on 14th Dec. can't have been completed until the New Year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

£8000 in 1981 between 2 non league clubs seems a lot!

How did he get on at Maidstone? 

He got on pretty well. Got a bit lost on the way there but this was pre sat nav/Google Maps days,and you know what blokes are like for asking directions.Got on well with most of his team mates,but there is always one isn't there!He seemed happy with the house he moved into. It was in a relatively upmarket area with decent transport links,even though he had a nice car.Top of the range Granada I think it was.Can't remember  the colour  but every one I ever saw was a goldy/ bronze colour with a vinyl roof.Nice shops in walking distance and good schools for his thirty seven children. Apparently he was a big fan of the kit he had to wear too,especially the badge on the front.

8 hours ago, Slacker said:

He got on pretty well. Got a bit lost on the way there but this was pre sat nav/Google Maps days,and you know what blokes are like for asking directions.Got on well with most of his team mates,but there is always one isn't there!He seemed happy with the house he moved into. It was in a relatively upmarket area with decent transport links,even though he had a nice car.Top of the range Granada I think it was.Can't remember  the colour  but every one I ever saw was a goldy/ bronze colour with a vinyl roof.Nice shops in walking distance and good schools for his thirty seven children. Apparently he was a big fan of the kit he had to wear too,especially the badge on the front.

I would have liked a bit more detail but appreciate your effort anyway 

9 hours ago, glynriley said:

It does. We only paid £18000 for Alan Walsh I think. 

Bargain of the century.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pongo88 said:

When re-decorating I always used to write obscure messages on the walls, before applying the wallpaper, to be found by subsequent owners of the house. Unfortunately I don’t wallpaper anymore, just emulsion the walls, so I can’t do this anymore 

The first house I owned, we found a message from the first owners, written in 1937

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Growing up in West Somerset there was an abandoned mansion on the edge of our village. As kids we would occasionally climb through a broken window and explore inside.

One day we were upstairs larking about when I noticed an old Evening Post that had been used as carpet underlay, the carpet long gone.

On closer examination I could see it was a report on an FA Cup final, Manchester United  1 Bristol City 0, April 1909.

I was about to rescue it and take it home when a loud angry voice shouted from downstairs, we all scarpered as quickly as we could and the next day the whole place had been boarded up.

That was the last time any of us set foot in there, it was soon demolished for a new housing estate. 

Great story but it couldn't have been the Evening Post as the first edition of that was in 1932. Unless it contained a reprint of the report from one of the local papers such as The Bristol Times & Mirror or Western Daily Press from 1909 to mark the 25th anniversary of the match in 1934. As I remember when studying local papers from 1934 that the 25th anniversary was being celebrated with, for instance, adverts publicizing a show in which the film of the 1909 cup final was shown. 

Before anyone asks what happened to this film it was a victim of the Bristol Blitz when the records office was hit. I would've thought that Manchester would also have held a copy but that obviously didn't survive either. Nitrate film, which was highly flammable and also prone to suddenly explode if not kept in the right conditions over a period of time, was the film of choice in Edwardian times and into the 1920s. Film that survives from that time has been carefully preserved and copied onto safer stock. 

• Like 1

I remember back in the early eighties me and a mate were demolishing and old outside toilet at a house in Taunton and there were a load of old newspapers stuffed around the door frame which we obviously looked at. They were from the late Queen`s coronation and had photos of the procession on the Mall. The really spooky thing was though, that my mate (who was from North Yorkshire) was actually in one of the pictures! He was at primary school at the time and they won some competition for a trip to London to see it!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I remember back in the early eighties me and a mate were demolishing and old outside toilet at a house in Taunton and there were a load of old newspapers stuffed around the door frame which we obviously looked at. They were from the late Queen`s coronation and had photos of the procession on the Mall. The really spooky thing was though, that my mate (who was from North Yorkshire) was actually in one of the pictures! He was at primary school at the time and they won some competition for a trip to London to see it!

That is some Sapphire and Steel stuff right there. He was in the right place for the consequences,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Great story but it couldn't have been the Evening Post as the first edition of that was in 1932. Unless it contained a reprint of the report from one of the local papers such as The Bristol Times & Mirror or Western Daily Press from 1909 to mark the 25th anniversary of the match in 1934. As I remember when studying local papers from 1934 that the 25th anniversary was being celebrated with, for instance, adverts publicizing a show in which the film of the 1909 cup final was shown. 

Before anyone asks what happened to this film it was a victim of the Bristol Blitz when the records office was hit. I would've thought that Manchester would also have held a copy but that obviously didn't survive either. Nitrate film, which was highly flammable and also prone to suddenly explode if not kept in the right conditions over a period of time, was the film of choice in Edwardian times and into the 1920s. Film that survives from that time has been carefully preserved and copied onto safer stock. 

Yes you’re right, definitely the WDP. We didn’t really have the Evening Post around our way but the WDP was very popular.

I wish I’d kept the paper to read all the other stuff to happen that day.

• Like 1