IGNORED

Why we don't need for a big target forward

cidered abroad

20 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm starting this thread because the Jason Knight thread appears to be losing it's way with forwards as the main topic.

A big, tall target man will probably never be recruited by Pearson, simply because his idea of attackers are those with speed both initially and over a distance. He knows from his experience as a big central defender, that the big guys like the Welsh lump, Moore at Bournemouth are not too difficult for a decent defender to handle.

Thus he's brought in  a couple of big defenders for us to cope with that type of forward player who is still preferred by most Championship clubs.

But those big centre halves find it almost impossible to deal with the electric pace of those not so physically endowed.

So we definitely do not need a six foot plus target attacker while the emphasis is on speedy attackers.

Well Pearson did have Harry Kane on loan at Leicester city. So I would never say never. 

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

We are not a counter attacking side. 

We are a counterattacking side. Nige has said so many times. He taking advantage of the pace available in the forward line.

I think I’d rather believe what I see with my own eyes, confirmed by Nige in many of his interviews than your view.

You can see by the lack of success of Moore at Bournemouth that just being 'big' isn't enough at the top level. You have to be mobile, adaptable, able to play facing the goal. Earliest example I can think of was van Basten.

Sure, at our level the Moore type player 'works', but it dictates the playing style. NP doesn't want that style. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

We are a counterattacking side. Nige has said so many times. He taking advantage of the pace available in the forward line.

I think I’d rather believe what I see with my own eyes, confirmed by Nige in many of his interviews than your view.

You must’ve stopped listening to Nige on the OS, Son of Fred ⬇️⬇️⬇️ is correct, sorry.  You must’ve stopped watching too!

4 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

We are not a counter attacking side. 

Yep, we are transitioning to a more possession based team.  Nige has said so many times over the back end of the season.  It is evident in the way we played in the last third of the season too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

What about the official site?? ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Haaland is the exception to the big target man dilemma, he is very moble for a big man, very good ball control and imo the best player in the World, he has a desire which makes him something very special. Pesonally I think the big target man has had it's day, with us and Martin it was slow and predictable, and I admit even Big John would not be the legend now that he was in the 50's and 60's. 

Pep's inclusion of Haaland in the team was a risky strategy, it went against everthing they do, and yet it was brilliant and added a new dimension to their game, it's what the Prem needed too. 

Well when you look at the 3 promoted or even top 6 last season, they all have a 'Height Option".

Burnley had Ashley Barnes, Shef Utd had McBurnie and Jebbison, Luton had Adebayo, Cov had Gyokeres, Boro had Forss and Sunderland had Simms and Stewart.

Probably missed a few and i get that the players mentioned didnt feature all the time for whatever reason but having that option is still important. I get from set pieces you can still be a danger with centre halves being a threat but IMO we definitely need an option.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2023 at 16:56, cidered abroad said:

I agree that the fitness of modern pros ,especially in the higher divisions, is way better than Atyeo's era and the state of pitches is so better by a million miles.

However, and I don't know if you saw him playing but he was so so good and also helped players in the team. Forget the difference in time but any player that plays 650 matches in a career over 15 years has done it because the number of poor games without their contribution can be counted on the five fingers of both hands.

ATYEO would have been a great player in any era.

No I’m afraid not as he was then players are quicker, faster reactions and they’re miles fitter! You’ve only got to look at the 100m sprint world record to see how far it’s come on, they didn’t break the 10 second barrier until after he retired! The games changed so much since then he was a great player then playing against players of his era but defenders these days wouldn’t let him have the ball! 

I liked Famara, Semenyo and Martin as players and thought they were good at what they brought to the side but in each case our play became predictable and easy to defend.  We saw it after Semenyo played well against Fulham with his quick break away goals that we started to hit those passes at every opportunity and defenders adapted.  Famara came in and actually killed the high press that we had opposed to the likes of Reid and Paterson. What surprised me with these players is we rarely played wingers allowing them to use height and physicality attacking the ball and would isolate them with back to goal. With wingbacks it tends to leave a space down the side and you would see the player drift out wide and ending up playing their own ball into the box where they should be to receive it.  Semenyo less of an issue as he had the pace to attack from that position. For Chris Martin he never had the mid field bombing past him and ended up having to carry the ball forward himself and didn’t have the legs to do it.