IGNORED

RIP Chris Garland

10 hours ago, Graham Male said:

Hi everyone.

I know it is all about personal opinions but I think the Chris Garland and John Galley partnership was one of the best Bristol City forward combinations.Watched them play together many many times.

Cheesley & Ritchie were also a handful in our promotion year to the top flight

• Like 2

Two nice interviews here with Donnie Gillies and Geoff Merrick re Chris Garland. Good friends off the pitch as well, right back to childhood in Geoff’s case. Garland broke Merrick’s nose in a match when they were aged 11 and 9 respectively! Stories of climbing over the gates to get into Ashton Gate at half time when they were kids etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sgMgj2Y6bg

Edited by eardun
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

11 hours ago, eardun said:

Two nice interviews here with Donnie Gillies and Geoff Merrick re Chris Garland. Good friends off the pitch as well, right back to childhood in Geoff’s case. Garland broke Merrick’s nose in a match when they were aged 11 and 9 respectively! Stories of climbing over the gates to get into Ashton Gate at half time when they were kids etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sgMgj2Y6bg

This is lovely & having not seen or heard anything about Donnie for years, it is so good to see him looking bloody great for his age.

He probably doesn’t get the credit that he deserves, as he scored 3 of the biggest goals in City’s history for me, that FA Cup winner at Leeds, the first goal at Ashton Gate after our promotion & of course the unforgettable vital late equaliser at Coventry.

Brilliant too that after so many years living in Somerset his accent is still as thick as ever…

Bless him & Sir Geoffrey, of course.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 2

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is lovely & having not seen or heard anything about Donnie for years, it is so good to see him looking bloody great for his age.

He probably doesn’t get the credit that he deserves, as he scored 3 of the biggest goals in City’s history for me, that FA Cup winner at Leeds, the first goal at Ashton Gate after our promotion & of course the unforgettable vital late equaliser at Coventry.

Brilliant too that after so many years living in Somerset his accent is still as thick as ever…

Bless him & Sir Geoffrey, of course.

I think I am right in saying that Donnie Gillies is the only Bristol City player to ever have his picture on the front page of The Times (for scoring the winner v Leeds, it was considered such a shock).

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

If you pop into The Manor (a pub) in Ditcheat, you may meet him many a weekend.

Always happy to chat about his City days, if his talkative missus allows him to get a word in edgeways! ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you pop into The Manor (a pub) in Ditcheat, you may meet him many a weekend.

Always happy to chat about his City days, if his talkative missus allows him to get a word in edgeways! ?

As a kid in the early/mid 70’s many of us used to go down AG during half terms for autographs, Gillies and Sweeney more than anyone used to take time out to come and have a chat and have a kick about in the Grand Stand car park, it used to make our day at how friendly they were, simple gestures that went a long way

• Like 2

8 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I think I am right in saying that Donnie Gillies is the only Bristol City player to ever have his picture on the front page of The Times (for scoring the winner v Leeds, it was considered such a shock).

I think I'm right in saying it was the first time any footballer had been pictured on the Front of The Times!

• Like 1