IGNORED

RIP Chris Garland

A real and very local hero, an inspiration to all those from our corner of Bristol that it’s possible to play and star in that big stadium.

Such a shame his poor health in recent years prevented him being part of the former players association at Ashton Gate. We all would have loved to have seen him around with the other guys.

RIP

• Like 2

Still remember his two goals to beat Liverpool in 1977 at Ashton Gate a few days later Liverpool won the European Cup for the first time. Plus the goal that beat Man City from a clever free kick routine after they'd been unbeaten for 17 matches. Back then that was quite a streak for them.

Without his goals having returned to us from Chelsea, via Leicester, we would have only lasted one season in our second top flight spell.

A City Legend. RIP.

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

You see the word legend a lot these days!

This man truly was a hero of this football club! In two spells became our biggest transfer fee in and scored two goals in our final home game to beat champions Liverpool! Anyone who was on the EE that night will never forget it. One of those nuts occasions when the crowd was massively under estimated and you couldn’t even get your fags out. 

In the following game after Donnie had made it 2:2 Chris was looking for a winner. Geoff Merrick had to tell him get back here and don’t venture over the effing half way line. 

I remember so Many of his goals and have a copy of his autobiography A LIFE OF TWO HALVES. 

I am close to tears this afternoon but will have one for Chris later!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 5

As so many others of my generation have already said, my first City hero.

Remember going to an England u23 international at AG. CG was named in the match day squad but never got on the pitch. It was suggested that his being named was just a cynical ploy to boost the crowd 

Was gutted when he went to Chelsea.

Sad news indeed.

• Like 2

Lucky enough to have a chat with him a year or so back as bizarrely he used to get his hair cut in the barbers I use in Stonehouse.

I had a City polo shirt on and he sparked up the conversation, he played before my time unfortunately but had some great stories to tell and you could tell by the glint in his eye that City meant a lot to him.

R.I.P. sir.

• Like 7

Devastated to hear this, as others have said he was one of my early City heroes. As I lived in Long Ashton and so did he for a while I had an additional sense of connection. 
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-legend-chris-garland-8598867?utm_campaign=breaking_daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter

Thoughts are with his family.

RIP

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Remember going to an England u23 international at AG. CG was named in the match day squad but never got on the pitch. It was suggested that his being named was just a cynical ploy to boost the crowd 

Sad news indeed.

Rest In Peace Chris. 

I notice there’s nothing on our website but there is on Chelsea’s. 

Although Chris's best days in a City shirt were before my time I still remember him fondly from the late 70's onwards. What has surprised me is reading Wikipedia (assuming it's correct) about his life after football - some real struggles there for sure.

Nothing but admiration and respect for the man. South Bristol through and through. 

RIP legend...

A boyhood hero and City legend, gone but never forgotten, him with the likes of Galley, Gow, Gibson are names still on my old metal toolbox, great days at the footie thank you Chris for the memories, a sad day, R.I.P,those were the days my friend.

This is the worst passing of any City player for me. He was just simply my boyhood hero. There's some good stories in Geoff Merrick's book about the two of them. When I was a kid I bought countless packets of bubblegum to get the prized card below (didn't do my teeth any good though) ?

169364-10842273Fr.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sad news indeed.

Was there, still have the prog somewhere ?

I first met Chris during the early part of 1960-61 season on the supporters club away coach when I think he was around 12 years. His humour was never ending and while I just stuck with Chrissy, he nicknamed me "Moaner" on a train to Plymouth for an FA Cup third round that we won. And I don't remember him using anything else ever again.

I got married in 1969 and living in Southville sometimes bumped into him in the Hen & Chicken until he left for Chelsea. 

The next time I spoke with him was at a hotel in Hambrook on the morning of City home game with Leicester. He wasn't looking forward to it as being a lifelong City fan and didn't want to beat them. 0-0 was an ok result.

My abiding memory of him off the pitch was in a Sheffield fish and chip shop on the way home from an away game. He asked the woman serving, in his best Bristle dialect for "A nake lot" where the "T" is silent. The woman was completely puzzled until we translated it to "A hake lot". No hake on the menu so he got a cod and chips like the rest of us.

On the pitch it's the goals he scored to keep us up, the hard work every time he set foot on the pitch in a red shirt and his fantastic header from six inches against the other lot from Eastville.

RIP Chrissy and condolences to his family.

• Like 8