IGNORED

SOD - the reappraisal

SecretSam

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember that match, one of three, perhaps four, I recall, where an individual player has destroyed us at Ashton Gate.

In addition, there was the Stan Collymore show for Forest and the John Salako show for Swansea.

Just behind, was the Southend game where their striker, Freddy Eastwood, tore us apart, not forgetting the Millwall striking duo of Sheringham and Cascarino.

Kelly of Walsall ?

I have always looked at SOD in one way. Sometimes you can have success on the pitch and not really get the fans excited and you'll get support because of the success, but the flip side is sometimes you will not get success on the pitch and be a likeable person, and this buys you time. Both Lee Johnson, Gary Johnson and in some ways Pearson all had / have  periods in their tenures where the team is not being successful and in many ways bits of fear sink in, and the fan base turns or supports. In their cases they got support and more often than not, the tide turned. For SOD I don't think he ever won the fans over. Pre appointment he was a manager many were happy with and some of his signings were very much welcomed, but lets not forget, this is a manager who had pretty much said we were getting relegated from the Championship when they took the job on, and I don't think it done him any favours. When things looked like we may have dropped again in League One, there was no real support, and whilst there were signs of improvement, the fear of back to back relegations from a manager who never really had the fans on his side, the outcome was always inevitable. He may have layed down some of the foundations for future success, but there is little doubt in most people's eyes, we were going down under him. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

For SOD I don't think he ever won the fans over.

Agree.  Simple things like coming out the “tunnel” and ignoring the fans as he headed to the dugout.  First thing Cotts did was a big clenched fist-bump to the Atyeo as he came out.

• Like 2