IGNORED

Mbappe - questionable PSG negotiation tactics?

highlandcityfan

Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi speaking in early July:

"My position is very clear. I don't want to repeat it every time: if Kylian wants to stay, we want him to stay. But he needs to sign a new contract.

"We don't want to lose the best player in the world for free. We can't do that. This is a French club." 

Is anyone else a little perplexed by this approach? It comes across to me like he's trying to play hardball with the player to encourage signing a new contract, but in doing so, it feels like he's put himself over a barrel with buying clubs. 

If he wants to sell this summer (or Jan perhaps), because in no way will he allow the player to leave on a free, surely potential suitors would come in and offer relative peanuts, e.g. £20m? 

If they know they can get him for free next summer anyway - especially if it's Real Madrid which seems to be his preferred destination, why not? They've bided their time before, so now they seem to be holding all the trump cards in my eyes. 

It's almost like he's invited that, and since he's said catagorically he won't lose him on a free, does that not encourage an extremely aggressive approach from bidders? 

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it just seems rather a naive approach. 

Unfortunately for the president and for PSG, they don’t have a say. They can of course, not play him next season but he has a contract and if he’s not willing to move, to guarantee a free to Madrid next season and pick up a loyalty bonus, there is nothing PSG can do. 

• Like 3

I read that there is a deadline of July 31st for an Mbappe renewal or extension. As in to activate the year extension clause.

I'll believe it when I see it but The Athletic suggested that PSG have a £150m financial hole! Presumably FFP and him leaving on a free could mean they have to sell lots of players. Maybe spend money then sell Mbappe or Neymar for a huge fee is their plan.

If any truth I'd love it.

@highlandcityfan

Not just next summer, pre-contract stuff can be put in place from January. Clock could be ticking.. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I read that there is a deadline of July 31st for an Mbappe renewal or extension. As in to activate the year extension clause.

I'll believe it when I see it but The Athletic suggested that PSG have a £150m financial hole! Presumably FFP and him leaving on a free could mean they have to sell lots of players. Maybe spend money then sell Mbappe or Neymar for a huge fee is their plan.

If any truth I'd love it.

@highlandcityfan

Not just next summer, pre-contract stuff can be put in place from January. Clock could be ticking.. 

Ah yes, I think you're right on all counts!

You've reminded me, I'm sure there was an article where the CEO or whoever at PSG had said to him if he leaves on a free, it will need them needing to sell players. 

So maybe another weird type of attempted strong arming? 

:laugh:, yeah.... I don't know why, but I'd also find it amusing! 

Now you mention about pre-contracts, I'd say even more that the clubs comments in my first post smack a bit of desperation. 

14 minutes ago, SBB said:

Unfortunately for the president and for PSG, they don’t have a say. They can of course, not play him next season but he has a contract and if he’s not willing to move, to guarantee a free to Madrid next season and pick up a loyalty bonus, there is nothing PSG can do. 

Really true, and that begs the question, what's the lowest bid they'd accept, do you think? Or where should Real etc 'anchor in' at?

16 hours ago, highlandcityfan said:

And also, assuming PSG can really be beaten down, what plans do we have with the potential Alex Scott money? 

Do you think it will cover Mbappe, and a new PA system in the ground? 

I'd imagine he'd want more than £5000 a week

£1bn over 10 years according to oner report is what they're willing to offer him...

This would break any and every FFP rule in the book that has ever existed, PSG that is!! They are markedly worse than Man City IMO who trade increasing numbers of players and the profit they get on youth is quite incredible Man City that is.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Possibly a game of Poker or chicken ongoing at PSG regarding Mbappe.

Claimed that they are willing to bench him for the season if he neither extends or agrees a sale.

He's been left out of their tour of Japan so it looks like the owners mean business. No talk of getting his value on the pitch.?

What I'm not understanding is why the French Player's Union are suddenly threatening to sue PSG because they are sending him to train with the U21s. As long as they are letting him train, paying his wages and not fining him, I don't see they are doing anything that requires union involvement. Also, if it's such a concern, why didn't the Union step in before this with the other players that PSG have done this to, including Draxler and Wijnaldum?

On 17/07/2023 at 17:36, highlandcityfan said:

Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi speaking in early July:

"My position is very clear. I don't want to repeat it every time: if Kylian wants to stay, we want him to stay. But he needs to sign a new contract.

"We don't want to lose the best player in the world for free. We can't do that. This is a French club." 

Is anyone else a little perplexed by this approach? It comes across to me like he's trying to play hardball with the player to encourage signing a new contract, but in doing so, it feels like he's put himself over a barrel with buying clubs. 

If he wants to sell this summer (or Jan perhaps), because in no way will he allow the player to leave on a free, surely potential suitors would come in and offer relative peanuts, e.g. £20m? 

If they know they can get him for free next summer anyway - especially if it's Real Madrid which seems to be his preferred destination, why not? They've bided their time before, so now they seem to be holding all the trump cards in my eyes. 

It's almost like he's invited that, and since he's said catagorically he won't lose him on a free, does that not encourage an extremely aggressive approach from bidders? 

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it just seems rather a naive approach. 

They've already done that. Messi left last month :laugh:

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

PSG have now accepted a €300m bid from Al Hilal. Here we go!

PSG may well have accepted the bid, but Mbappé is no fool, nor is his (devious, unscrupulous) mother, who is also his agent.

Whilst a reported annual salary of €7,000,000 is not to be sniffed at ?, he is, of course, already remunerated handsomely, and, with his annual salary and bonus, numerous ancillary bonuses and image rights, there would not be a dramatic difference in ‘take home’ pa, although his Saudi salary would, of course, be tax free.

Finance and, perhaps, religion aside, I really can’t see any reason why, at this stage of his career, he might be tempted.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

PSG may well have accepted the bid, but Mbappé is no fool, nor is his (devious, unscrupulous) mother, who is also his agent.

Whilst a reported annual salary of €7,000,000 is not to be sniffed at ?, he is, of course, already remunerated handsomely, and, with his annual salary and bonus, numerous ancillary bonuses and image rights, there would not be a dramatic difference in ‘take home’ pa, although his Saudi salary would, of course, be tax free.

Finance and, perhaps, religion aside, I really can’t see any reason why, at this stage of his career, he might be tempted.

£700 million for 1 year, and the club will then let him go to Madrid if he wishes. 

There's 700 million reasons why he'd go to Saudi, especially as he seems such a greedy and money driven player. He could play 1 season and be one of, if not, the richest football in the world and retire if he wanted. 

Crazy money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He's being offered 100% of his image rights.

PSG won't play him and no European club is going to match the bid so he can have a lucrative 1 year sabbatical before joining Real Madrid. Everybody wins - apart from football itself.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Akira said:

£700 million for 1 year, and the club will then let him go to Madrid if he wishes. 

There's 700 million reasons why he'd go to Saudi, especially as he seems such a greedy and money driven player. He could play 1 season and be one of, if not, the richest football in the world and retire if he wanted. 

Crazy money. 

Crazy money indeed, but are you quite sure it is Mbappé who is the greedy and money driven one, rather than his mother?

I know the area in which he was born and raised, and have (professional) reasons to go there several times a year.

The local people with whom I have spoken, and who know/knew him growing up, speak of a very humble young man, who returns to the area frequently and does a lot of unpublicised work for charity, and, if you have seen or heard him interviewed, I suspect you might form a similar impression.

His mother, however, who is also effectively his agent, is of a somewhat different character and, I daresay, would be delighted were her son to accept the contract and go to KSA for a year.

2 hours ago, myol'man said:

How long before a Saudi team are allowed into the Champions League?

Remember Eurovision? Australia!

Hopefully never. But as it's UEFA, probably a question of how much are they willing to pay to get into the champs league. 

Won't be long until world Cup hosted there, as FIFA has clearly turned a corner and is now no way corrupt, giving to the highest bidder.. 

Edited by Akira

Saudi clubs in theory anyway would have to abide by FFP in order to join UEFA and affiliated competitions even as a starting point.

No chance of that for a while IMO. Only if the rules watered down or reduced and perhaps even scrapped would that be a goer any time soon.

Some even have the theory that it is the plan. Throw so much money at increasingly high profile players thst FFP is scrapped- which will benefit Newcastle greatly given who owns them.

13 hours ago, Akira said:

Crazy money. 

I don't agree with all this Saudi money but for Mbappe it's a no brainer really isn't it? He could pick up an injury 2moro and sit out the whole season. 

Or he can go to Saudi for one year and earn 700 million before having his dream move to Real.

• Like 1

It's amusing that people are suggesting someone who currently earns probably £40m / year or something along with probably the same again from sponsorships etc. Might be to go to somewhere to earn £600m / year to retire/set himself up for life!

I hope he does go, then after a year or two not being coached by the best, trained by the best, and playing the best in the world he's overtaken and no longer picked for his national side. Maybe that'd be a wake-up for others thinking of going in the prime of their careers. Because let's be honest, the money isn't any kind of argument, none of them need it. Once you're offering £10m / year you might as well be offering £100m / year or £1000m / year, there's not really any functional difference!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

It's amusing that people are suggesting someone who currently earns probably £40m / year or something along with probably the same again from sponsorships etc. Might be to go to somewhere to earn £600m / year to retire/set himself up for life!

I hope he does go, then after a year or two not being coached by the best, trained by the best, and playing the best in the world he's overtaken and no longer picked for his national side. Maybe that'd be a wake-up for others thinking of going in the prime of their careers. Because let's be honest, the money isn't any kind of argument, none of them need it. Once you're offering £10m / year you might as well be offering £100m / year or £1000m / year, there's not really any functional difference!

Agreed, although his current salary is considerably more than €40M/year, more like €100M, with bonuses on top.

As an example, if he is still with PSG on 1 August, he picks up a ‘loyalty bonus’ of €60M.

As you say, a few hundred million extra for one year is not going to make that much difference, especially when one considers the differences in both lifestyle and the standard of football itself.

Having said that, Mbappé is a Muslim, though I’m not sure how devout, so the draw of Mecca and the heart of Islam may have some influence.

Nevertheless, I don’t think he will be tempted.

• Like 1